Disrespectful?

xbjj70387x

White Belt
Reaction score
My BJJ class is small. Great instructor. The sparring is not ideal because there just is not any diversity. I can tell exactly what the person im going to spar with is prob gonna try while rolling. My question is is it disrespectful to go to bigger gyms open mats and spar there? Should i tell my instructor or not? is it disrespecful to him or the other gym?

I was in this situation not too long ago. My instuctor went ballistic when I told him I went to go roll at other schools. It was never the same. Eventually he kicked me out (guess he felt threatened) I then joined the bigger club and loving it. Rolling with a more diversified field is making huge changes to my game. For me it's first and foremost a business transaction, not a social club. I pay for a service. If I'm not happy with that service, I'll go somewhere else. I did feel loyal to my original club, but the intructor made the decision for me. It's the biggest favour he could have done for me.

My classes were 4-6 guys

I would say you gotta do what you gotta do. Talk to him and if he goes ballistic like above then you know you made the right choice. If he understands then you are in a great position.

Just wondering, how large are your classes?

I would say you gotta do what you gotta do. Talk to him and if he goes ballistic like above then you know you made the right choice. If he understands then you are in a great position.

Just wondering, how large are your classes?

At the most like 4 or 5 guys including the instructor. and they are all bigger then me, which isent really a problemi think its made me more technical going with people bigger, but i want to roll with people my size also.

You are training to become great, if you cant do that at your school I would leave! Go back someday when the school is built up more!

You are training to become great, if you cant do that at your school I would leave! Go back someday when the school is built up more!

I would heres my situation. My coach is a GJJ black belt so i dont want to leave the small school entirely because i get so much attention from him thats its priceless. I dont want to leave the class. My prob is the sparring only i guess

Hell, I encourage my guys to go to other gyms!! I know we are a small club and I tell my guys that they need to go out and find other places to not just roll open mat, but to further their instruction. We have 2 days a week of drills and one day of open mat. Anyone with this type of situation has got to not only allow outside training, but also encourage it.

It depends on your relationship with the instructor, if you are cool with him, ask his permission respectfully.

my club sometimes its only me and the instructor others theres up to ten people but usually around 3 or 4 but the instructor encourages me to go to another gym once and awhile and get training from their instructor but were affiliated with the other gym so

i encourage all of our guys to go to open gyms...thats when u get the best live rolls imo

There are some BJJ schools/Instructors treat student like they own them. I have a great instructor that encourages us to train with whoever we want...

My instructor has concerns about tipping off other schools as to what techniques and submissions he is teaching to the white and blue belts.

He freely admits that he doesn't want his students to go to a local competition facing guys from other schools who have been tipped off and trained to counter the "go to" moves that the newer students have.

You should pick the fruit of knowledge from many trees, my friend.

It's true that a lot of gyms are like small families and it may seem weird for you to go anywhere else, but this is about your development.

Furthermore, it can only help for you to go elsewhere and put yourself in different situations. Such diversity will not only help you to improve, but you will bring it back with you to help your teammates.

Hell, I encourage my guys to go to other gyms!! I know we are a small club and I tell my guys that they need to go out and find other places to not just roll open mat, but to further their instruction. We have 2 days a week of drills and one day of open mat. Anyone with this type of situation has got to not only allow outside training, but also encourage it.

Couldnt agree more! but trust me, our opinion is the minority! BJJ is like a colt-ish clan so if you abandon your school you get banished, tarred and feathered, stoned, ass-rapped, impaled, then crucified!

Yea, I was once at a small gym, and it was always encouraged that guys who had the time/inclination go to open mats at other gyms. it gives people a chance to get more training in, and to then bring back some new tricks to share with the small gym. It's good for everyone when people in a small school take the extra time to get some extra training and pick up some extra techniques.

I would heres my situation. My coach is a GJJ black belt so i dont want to leave the small school entirely because i get so much attention from him thats its priceless. I dont want to leave the class. My prob is the sparring only i guess

if your instructor does give you "priceless" attention, could be disprectful to seek outside instruction. its like saying "thanks for all the time and work put into developing my game, but its not good enough". which is why its important to talk to him before doing that, IF you care about your relationship with your instructor. what belt level are you?

for me personally, i keep training diversified by exposing my opponents game, to help him improve. ill give them dominant positions, ill do the same moves over and over again until they get wise, and they'll reciprocate the extra help. there are some guys ive helped so much, most of my game can be seen coming a mile away, but that just forces me to improve and expand my game.

Fuck it, do it. Why would you tell your instructor anyway?

i encourage all of our guys to go to open gyms...thats when u get the best live rolls imo

Same with most of the people that I know. The grappling community around here is pretty cool, most people are real nice about people coming from other places to spar in open mats.

if your instructor does give you "priceless" attention, could be disprectful to seek outside instruction. its like saying "thanks for all the time and work put into developing my game, but its not good enough". which is why its important to talk to him before doing that, IF you care about your relationship with your instructor. what belt level are you?

for me personally, i keep training diversified by exposing my opponents game, to help him improve. ill give them dominant positions, ill do the same moves over and over again until they get wise, and they'll reciprocate the extra help. there are some guys ive helped so much, most of my game can be seen coming a mile away, but that just forces me to improve and expand my game.

I am a blue belt. Good advice.

Back