Disrespectful?

When you say small what do you mean? Do you have two - ten guys or more? I think it is disrespectful to join another schools classes but just rolling would be fine.

Talk to your instructor about it. It really depends on the place. For example, where I train bjj, we are very much oriented like the traditional martial arts and not typical bjj schools, and my instructors would not be okay with that. But yours might. Talk about it first. After all, even without going somewhere else, there is an issue with your training, so he should know about this.

Talk to your instructor about it. It really depends on the place. For example, where I train bjj, we are very much oriented like the traditional martial arts and not typical bjj schools, and my instructors would not be okay with that. But yours might. Talk about it first. After all, even without going somewhere else, there is an issue with your training, so he should know about this.

This was put perfectly.

Great advice. Will definetly have a talk with my coach about it. I would not be going to another class just the open mats.

When you say small what do you mean? Do you have two - ten guys or more? I think it is disrespectful to join another schools classes but just rolling would be fine.

when i say small i mean sometimes its just me and the coach and sometimes its up to like 4 other people but does not get much bigger then that. Yea i dont want to get coached and taught by another coach i just want to diversify my sparring. The last thing i want to do is to disrespect my coach.

My BJJ class is small. Great instructor. The sparring is not ideal because there just is not any diversity. I can tell exactly what the person im going to spar with is prob gonna try while rolling. My question is is it disrespectful to go to bigger gyms open mats and spar there? Should i tell my instructor or not? is it disrespecful to him or the other gym?

i think this could be a problem, if your training at a gym, you shouldnt train at another.. try doing things out of the ordinary, pull half guard, try different positions, take down guys who always try to shoot in

I would heres my situation. My coach is a GJJ black belt so i dont want to leave the small school entirely because i get so much attention from him thats its priceless. I dont want to leave the class. My prob is the sparring only i guess

Tell him you are going to train at a local wrestling club as well. Then just go to the other jiu-jitsu academy when you feel like it.

I'm sure you've cheated on a woman, so man up and cheat on a black belt!

side note

should i take my strips off if i go to the other school out of respect or not?

Tell him you are going to train at a local wrestling club as well. Then just go to the other jiu-jitsu academy when you feel like it.

I'm sure you've cheated on a woman, so man up and cheat on a black belt!

That is seriously messed up, one should always respect your woman and your trainers.

No, those are your stripes, no reason to demote yourself.

Thanks youve been a great help, and yea lying to ur instucture pretty bad in my book, atleast about that subject.

Also this is not about training with another coach this is only about sparring at another school for diversity

i think it is no problem, and as long as you ask respectfully, i don't think your instructor should have a problem with it.

My instructor has concerns about tipping off other schools as to what techniques and submissions he is teaching to the white and blue belts.

He freely admits that he doesn't want his students to go to a local competition facing guys from other schools who have been tipped off and trained to counter the "go to" moves that the newer students have.

This is a load of crap. What's he doing? Only teaching the blue and white belts certain "go to" moves? He should be training you in the overall art of BJJ! You say white and blue...so it's okay for purples? Because the purples actually learn ALL of BJJ and not just the blue/white "go to" moves? You instructor should be teaching you EVERYTHING for that level...not some sort of book of "go to" moves. The reason you are a white belt is that you are just starting and can't do all the moves effectively. When you get the basics down you get your blue belt (*shocker* imagine that.) As you get better and better you move up. There are no "go to" moves specifically for whites and blues.

when i say small i mean sometimes its just me and the coach and sometimes its up to like 4 other people but does not get much bigger then that. Yea i dont want to get coached and taught by another coach i just want to diversify my sparring. The last thing i want to do is to disrespect my coach.

That's awesome. You're basically getting privates!!! I would definitely ask him first and gauge his reaction. If he has concerns that you might be thinking about leaving assure that's not the case and that you are just looking for a more varied pool of grappling partners. Hell, he may even say, "heh! Go kick their asses! Let me know how it goes." I agree that this is one of those thing that usually goes all the way in one directions or the other. ("NO! You can't train anywhere else!" or "hell, yeah, I encourage you to expand your horizons.")

This is a load of crap. What's he doing? Only teaching the blue and white belts certain "go to" moves? He should be training you in the overall art of BJJ! You say white and blue...so it's okay for purples? Because the purples actually learn ALL of BJJ and not just the blue/white "go to" moves? You instructor should be teaching you EVERYTHING for that level...not some sort of book of "go to" moves. The reason you are a white belt is that you are just starting and can't do all the moves effectively. When you get the basics down you get your blue belt (*shocker* imagine that.) As you get better and better you move up. There are no "go to" moves specifically for whites and blues.

Point taken, and I'm probably not doing justice to his reasoning.

My instructor does a fantastic job of teaching the fundamentals. Perhaps what I am trying to say is that he has his white belts performing at a level above the white belts from other local academies as evidenced by tournament results.

Most of our whites have been drilled in a few sub's that seem to catch people from other teams unprepared (parallel choke from mount and standing being one that has ended several matches early).

In the end, don't hate on my instructor. He's a great guy, and he's a Carlson Gracie Jr Blackbelt. I'm just not doing a good job of articulating his views on this topic.

My BJJ class is small. Great instructor. The sparring is not ideal because there just is not any diversity. I can tell exactly what the person im going to spar with is prob gonna try while rolling. My question is is it disrespectful to go to bigger gyms open mats and spar there? Should i tell my instructor or not? is it disrespecful to him or the other gym?

If your instructor gets mad at you for trying to improve yourself, then you would probably be better off without him. Sounds like you just need more people to roll with.

some people value their relationships with their team and instructor.

I value my relationship with my parents, but I didn't tell them when I smoked dope in high school, or about the first time I had unprotected sex. Don't give me that shit.

I value my relationship with my parents, but I didn't tell them when I smoked dope in high school, or about the first time I had unprotected sex. Don't give me that shit.

your parents probably arent going to kick you out of your house if they found out. you must not play a lot of team sports, if you do, then wow. to know that your team and coach might be against something, and going ahead and doing it anyway, is pretty disrepectful imo anyways. you might see it differently?

Back