Disappointed In Jones

apostle**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've never been one of the Jones haters on Sherdog nor will I stop being a fan of his, but I have to say, I'm disappointed in the news he's fighting Glover instead of a rematch with Gus. The comments on UFC Tonight where he told Ariel his reasoning is what I found to be so ridiculous. He claims that after he watched the fight tape about 10 more times that he decided that his victory over Gus was decisive enough and no rematch needs to take place. This clearly implies he's afraid to fight Gus. There's no other reason for the rematch not to happen. Think about it:

1. The rematch would probably set records and make Jones and Gus both more filthy rich than they already are.
2. Jones remark that his victory was "decisive" enough is just blatantly crazy. That fight was one of the closest fights we've seen in a while and they both ended up in the hospital.
3. Is it really a coincidence that the first time someone took it to Jones that he not even a week removed he already made up his mind to not fight him again?

Again, still don't "hate" on Jones, still a fan, still think he's incredible. But very disappointed in this.

Same here. I used to be a big fan of his. This is just too obvious what hes trying to do.

I am personnaly tired of instant rematches, so I'm very happy Jones is fighting Glover.

If both Jones and Gus win their next fight, we'll see Jones vs Gus 2.

Patience.

I've never been one of the Jones haters on Sherdog nor will I stop being a fan of his, but I have to say, I'm disappointed in the news he's fighting Glover instead of a rematch with Gus. The comments on UFC Tonight where he told Ariel his reasoning is what I found to be so ridiculous. He claims that after he watched the fight tape about 10 more times that he decided that his victory over Gus was decisive enough and no rematch needs to take place. This clearly implies he's afraid to fight Gus. There's no other reason for the rematch not to happen. Think about it:

1. The rematch would probably set records and make Jones and Gus both more filthy rich than they already are.
2. Jones remark that his victory was "decisive" enough is just blatantly crazy. That fight was one of the closest fights we've seen in a while and they both ended up in the hospital.
3. Is it really a coincidence that the first time someone took it to Jones that he not even a week removed he already made up his mind to not fight him again?

Again, still don't "hate" on Jones, still a fan, still think he's incredible. But very disappointed in this.

Nothing to be disappointed about IMO. He fought a war and won. These immediate rematches strip integrity from the sport in a way. Gus and Jones will meet again shortly. It'd be great if the cry babies would just take it for what it is and move on. (Not saying you are but you know the types I'm referring to.)

Thank god you don't see that crap in other sports. "Well the Patroits almost beat the Giants so instead of a having a season lets just give the Patroits another shot."

I'm glad he's fighting Glover. It will make the anticipation for the rematch that much more.

I am personnaly tired of instant rematches, so I'm very happy Jones is fighting Glover.

Agreed! They're in their mid-twenties for crying out loud, do you want to see them fight 5 times? That's the situation I fear we're getting into with JDS/Cain. Cain's last 5 fights JDS/Bigfoot/JDS/Bigfoot/JDS. Who really wants that?

Yeah that rematch would have been huge and you reminded me of something. I remember one of the reasons Jones said he didn't want to fight Machida last year was because the first fight was his lowest PPV draw and that nobody wants to see it. And a lot of people want to see this rematch and it would make them a lot of money. And then he picks Glover and before his fight with Gus he said Glover wasn't ready to fight him. He doesn't seem very consistent to me.

Patience.

This is the correct answer! Well done Sr!

I'm am NOT a fan of Jones, and this solidifies that. That said, I'm fine with the no rematch. I like that it will be a new contender, and if Gus is the real-deal (which it certainly seems like), he'll earn another shot in short order. Jones can think whatever he wants, but ultimately, if Gus earns No. 1 again, no one that isn't Jon Jones is going to say "the first fight was a dominant win".

It's better this way. Jones got the win, let it be. Have them each face a new opponent and if they both win, especially by stoppage, then they can set up a rematch with gus.

If gus were to win an immediate rematch, then jones would probably get an immediate rematch and these guys will fight for another year. It was a good fight, but glover is deserving and for damn sure is gonna bring the fight to jones. I like it.

Glover doesn't deserve it. Who has he beat, that was top 5 at least? Top 10?

I didn't want to see another gus match immediately.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/9725352/jon-jones-defend-ufc-title-glover-teixeira
Jones, however, elected to pursue a seventh title defense against Teixeira, while promising a rematch with Gustafsson immediately after.

"I said before the [Gustafsson] fight my sights were set on breaking the record," Jones said in a statement released by the UFC. "I want to crush the record. I want to beat the record so bad it can never be broken.

"I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."

Wow that really sounds like Jones is avoiding Gus lol! Stop with all the passive aggressive bullshit. You're just another hater.

haters out of control yet again. They say Jones got schooled on the feet, yet Glover has some of the best boxing in the division. No doubt he has heavier hands than Gus. Only Jones can duck someone by choosing to a fight a guy who's on a 20 fight win streak and a fighter who's greatest strength is arguably his biggest weakness.

Well, what did you expect him to say? "Damn, it could've gone either way" does not sound good for a champion. Just sayin'

It was a good fight. They will meet again in the not-too-distant future and put on another good fight. Jones and Glover will probably be a good fight. So you're disappointed in all the good fight potential here?

Patience.

couldn't agree more, they will probably fight at least 2 more times in there careers.

I personally am glad he is not having the immediate rematch. This was Glover gets the shot he has more than earned, and Gus gets a rebound fight to hype the rematch

The rematch is still happening its just going to take place down the road...as it should, tired of immediate rematches

Im happy there isnt an immediate rematch as good of a fight as that was imeddiate rematches hold the division back. Glover is the new number one contender on a 20 fight win streak and will certainly bring the fight to Jones. If Jones wins and Gus wins his next fight them let them fight again. Jones even said he will fight glover then if he wins fight Gus after. How is that ducking Gus?

Back