Dinosaur Training?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but don't know any details. Anyone tried it?

philosoraptor.jpg

Do a quick search on Brooks D. Kubik. Dr Ken Leister is also great.

OK, I asked for that one...:redface:

Any(semi)serous answers?

So has any Sherdogger tried the Way of the Dinosaur?

I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, it's a combination of low reps and heavy weight training, including single reps, and Strongman-type training.

I assume they call it Dinosaur Training because it was developed back when everyone - yes, even Bodybuilders - trained heavy on the Big Three.

Ken Shamrock does this, and that's enough to keep me away.

Is this like paleo training?

In the sense that you are thinking of (which I am just assuming)No, it's not paleo. It's pretty old school type stuff. Kubik loves the old time lifters (early '90s ish, and even before that) who moved mountains.

He is a fan of all things strength related. He gives major props to guys like Star and Rip, I'm kind of surprised we don't see more stuff about it here.

I bought it several years back, he has extensive work in chin-ups, along with heavier lifting. Nothing really new, and the programming isn't what a lot of people on this board would stick to, but he has great history in his writing, he does a lot of cool research on older lifters, and older methods, hence Dinosaur.

I think it's really cool.

So has any Sherdogger tried the Way of the Dinosaur?

I played around with it a few years back, but it was at a time when I was really confused in how to train, and did not have any goals...or know what my goals were.

I do not know if I would say that it is a great program, but it is very interesting to read, his newsletter is pretty nice if you like historical stuff. You can find the information that he is giving here on this forum for the most part, but again, I won't deny that his stuff is a good read.

The paleo thing was a joke due to the gimmicky name. So what I'm hearing is basically it involves compound lifts, lifting heavy, and some strongman stuff. What's different about it?

The paleo thing was a joke due to the gimmicky name. So what I'm hearing is basically it involves compound lifts, lifting heavy, and some strongman stuff. What's different about it?

THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT!

Ahem...sorry for shouting...:redface:

That was more directed at Core Canyon, but I didn't feel like quoting all of it since I was the next post.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT!

Ahem...sorry for shouting...:redface:

loud noises!!!

The paleo thing was a joke due to the gimmicky name.

Lol, oh...

So what I'm hearing is basically it involves compound lifts, lifting heavy, and some strongman stuff. What's different about it?

What you said, basically. There is nothing really different about it at all, just a gimmicky name. I'm not totally sure, but I think he (Kubik) now has a target audience of people that would be the average S+P+C poster's dad. He tries to talk to the older gentleman who wants to be strong.

You most likely will not see any new information in his works other than cool old history stuff. That is what I was trying to convey in my earlier post.

*edit:

He goes preaches overhead, he preaches squat and deadlift. Bench press. He has a thing called a "dinosaur pushup" where you put one of the big bouncy balls on a bench press, then do a pushup with one leg up. It's kind of intense/fun to try, and can cause a hell of a scene in any globo gym. Lots of Chinups too.

I fucked my whole post up and had to edit it like 3 times just to get it all in the right order...

Last edited:
Does it have you doing bent press and weird shit like that?

A bit like DeFranco's Washed Up Meathead template then?

I've heard the 5/4/3/2/1 rep range mentioned in connection with DT; you start with a weight approx. 70% of your 1RM on one of the Big Three. You then increase the weight and decrease the reps every set until the final set is Single.

A bit like DeFranco's Washed Up Meathhead template then?

I've heard the 5/4/3/2/1 rep range mentioned in connection with DT; you start with a weight approx. 70% of your 1RM on one of the Big Three. You then increase the weight and decrease the reps every set until the final set is Single.

That sounds familiar, but TBH, I don't remember...It's been a long time since I read the DT manual. I'll fish it out tonight a look at the programming.

Kubik's first big "marketing" push came out right after the (in)famous Matt Furey craze. They kinda advertised w/one another, so that's been what, 7-8 years?

I also remember a lot of grip strength training, but mostly through chinups. He used several different gauges of wire to do like a one hand on the bar and one hand grasping the wire chinup type stuff. You could use a towel, then a rope, then a jump rope or something like that for your progression.

Rope climbs too, those were in there.

That sounds familiar, but TBH, I don't remember...It's been a long time since I read the DT manual. I'll fish it out tonight a look at the programming.

Kubik's first big "marketing" push came out right after the (in)famous Matt Furey craze. They kinda advertised w/one another, so that's been what, 7-8 years?

ISTR something about Kubik being heavy into Bodyweight Training before realising that Furey was a bullshit artist and going back to real strength training with weights.

Back