Difficulty Working on Top when Starting from the Knees

If you are smaller and quicker you should try to duck under or arm drag. Also a knee tap works from here pretty good.

You could also work on your pulling guard to instant sweep. meaning dont pull guard and then start working, pull him into a sweep and get him off balance. Then either sweep or scramble.

Work a sweep, and land in the guys guard?

I'll admit, I lol'd.

Thanks for the advice people; I think I'll start requesting to start in people's guard until my passing's up to par with my guardplay.

grab the lapel. be heavy on it to break him down. put your forehead on the opposite side shoulder. with your free hand, grab the pants on the same side you have the lapel. push with your head while pulling the knee. voila.

I've never quite understood complaints about wrestling from your knees. There are acres of extremely technical wrestling moves that take place when both opponents are on their knees. It happens all the time. On the street, no, but even in an MMA match two guys are on their knees all the time.

It's true wrestlers are rarely both at the same level and looking at each other when on their knees, but the idea that wrestling from your knees is somehow not applicable to regular grappling is IMHO not realistic. If anything, many grappling arts are weaker when both opponents are on their knees/on the ground, because they foolishly just don't train techniques at that level very much.

Seriously, why don't these guys just give up and go home, it's sooooo unrealistic to train grappling when both guys are on their knees, you learn nothing useful.

01-09-09-ANZA-SPORTS-Wrasling-cp-2.jpg

Russian 2-on-1.

Grab a lapel and pull it backwards. He will lean in. Reach over his back and grab the back of his gi. Rotate around and take the back.

just tell your trainig partner that you want train on your guard pass.

I have a system:
I pull guard against someone lower level.
I let a higher level belt pull guard on me if he chooses so. no bum rush tkd on knees.
If i get tap out several times from a higher belt due to his awesome guard game, then I will pull guard.

Back