Difference in Gloves

T

TapOutGrapler

Hey Guys,
Is there any difference in a Windy made kickboxing glove and a Cleto Reyes Boxing Glove? I'm goin into kickboxing after the end of wrestling season, and I want to know what kind of gloves I'll need. Like whats the difference between a kickboxing glove and a boxing glove? Or is it all marketing. Hapay New Yars- Tap|paT

It's not all marketing, the gloves really are different.

Muay Thai gloves tend to have a shorter cuff than a boxing glove. The padding is distributed differently as well, and this is the important factor.

With a boxing glove, the majority of the padding is in the knuckles. With a Thai glove the padding is distributed more evenly across the back of the hand AND the knuckles. This is because Thai allows the use of the backfist strike while boxing does not.

So if you're doing Muay Thai, you should have Thai-style gloves.

So does the Thai style glove allow more clinching then?

I often see Thai gloves being marketed as having an "open palm", but it's not meant in the same sense as grappling gloves. I imagine that they're designed to allow more mobility for clinching than boxing gloves are.

Umm, have you ever been hit buy a guy wearing Cleto's.

Thai gloves hit hard,
Cleto's hit harder.

IMO.

Chad Hamilton said:
Umm, have you ever been hit buy a guy wearing Cleto's.

Thai gloves hit hard,
Cleto's hit harder.

IMO.

I remember after Pacqiao V.S. Morales,

Morales won and the commentators were saying that Pacqiao usually wears/likes Cleto Reyes gloves because he is a hard hitter, but he and Morales had to agree to wear Windy for this fight, which wasn't as advantageous to his strategy of getting KO's by hitting hard. (they also went on to say that it probably would not have turned the fight around for him if he had worn his usual Cleto's but it was still interresting and definitely worked against his power to a small extent)

Back