Difference between Usman and Izzy, and who is the GOAT candidate

Usman has pretty much cleared the division once and will do it again, don't worry about him taking some $ fights on the side, at least he's active as fuck and dominates.

Usman's overall game is way more impressive. Way more complete.

That being said I do think both guys are on PEDs. I can't blame Izzy because I think he started before the Costa fight, and there's no way in hell Costa is natty. This is also around the time his gyno showed up. Usman I'd bet the house on him popping one day. Bacne, traps up to his ears despite his insane cardio. Easily the most jacked guy in the division right now. Only welterweights that were more jacked were prime Lombard and prime Palhares, and both were confirmed saucefiends.

even DC admited when you're the champ you can make money fights and nate is a big money fight
Well if he wants to go down the Conor route, then that's fine, but the WW division shouldn't be held up or suffer for it. If Usman fights Diaz, it should not be for the title. As much as I love Diaz, its BS he gets a title shot for just being a G and a needle mover. Go fight one of the Paul brothers if you want a payday

Lets compare Usman and Izzy, and see who is on more GOAT status, as they are both in similar positions yet seem to be fighting for very different reasons.

Both are probably the second best title holders in their divisions, after GSP and SIlva.

Both are on a similar number of title defences, and are in a position to defend a lot more, possibly reaching GSP and Silva numbers, or very near.

But so far one has fought all of the top contenders in his division, whilst the other seems to be avoiding them.

One is currently building a padded title defence, whilst the other is fighting all the top worthy contenders and building and unpadded one.

If Izzy fights Rob next and defends, he will be on a 4 title defence, the same as Usman.
Both of them will 2 defences against the same fighter. The only issue being, one of them is ranked number 1 in their division and the other 7.
That already sets who is the candidate for being the GOAT of this generation, out of those 2.
I'll take Whittaker, Romero, Costa, Vettori, and a loss to Jan any day over Colby, Masvidal, Burns, Masvidal. Usman does not deserve to be ranked ahead of Izzy.

Marty has mostly fought lw rejects that were never good enough at their lower/smaller weight class to even get a title shot. At least isreal attempted to move up, even if he he obviously had no business fighting at lhw with his steroid infused tiddie.

Both are probably the second best title holders in their divisions, after GSP and SIlva.
Off to a bad start already. Usman is not the second best ww imo. He's on his way but he's not there.

Izzy is a better p4p fighter than Usman that we can agree.

Usman is on a 14 fight winning streak, the second longest in the ufc history.

Izzy is great but he's not on khabib or usman level in terms of greatness and dominance.
Usman can't be compared to khabib. Sure he wins but before he wasn't even winning in impressive fashion. Lot of holding, lots of stalemates. But yeah he won. Now he's knocking out journeymen LWs and now picking money fights.

Fair play to him but it's not the same.

If Izzy was fighting the caliber of Maia, RDA, burns, he'd look dominant too.

It's not Usman fault he fought the crop of talent he's fought. He fights who's in front of him but I don't think anyone would mistake him for being a goat.

Izzy has the better resume. Not only he has the better resume, he has the better wins. If he never lost to Jan, he'd be rated ahead of Usman like how he was before despite Usman's streak. Usman is only ahead of him on technicality. Izzy lost in a weightclass he probably had no business being and it was competitive.

This was the rankings after Khabib retired

upload_2021-6-24_21-31-25.png

He was not a better fighter than izzy, ever.

Last edited:
Can’t we all agree that both Izzy and usman is great and leave it at that and on a side note khabib didn’t have enough title defenses to be considered the goat he’s all time great fighter but not the goat
Khabib got his 3 title defense with pure domination.

I say if Khabib got his title shot in 2016, he will still remained undefeated until his retirement in 2020 because seriously who tf can beat post-2014 Khabib?

Both Usman and Izzy need to go through both either war or pointfighting or footstomp to rack their first 3 title defense.

Khabib got his 3 title defense with pure domination.

I say if Khabib got his title shot in 2016, he will still remained undefeated until his retirement in 2020 because seriously who tf can beat post-2014 Khabib?

Both Usman and Izzy need to go through both either war or pointfighting or footstomp to rack their first 3 title defense.
3 title defenses is not enough to be considered goat

Usman has fought more inferior competition than Adesanya. There is no way I can place him higher than Israel.

Usman has fought more inferior competition than Adesanya. There is no way I can place him higher than Israel.
that's what annoys me about usman. I know its my own bias but he's figfhting re-treads and he's saying he's P4P. Yes, you are but by default. I'd like to see him fight legit ww. I'd like to see him fight Edwards or colby in a rematch and wonderboy. It won't anoint him over Izzy, but I think it gives his resume more credible title defenses.

Usman is criminally underrated. His issue is the lack of opponents in his division now. A lot of the guys are aging out of that division. He is fighting the same contenders again.
GSP had a bigger variety of opponents. He did beat the mainstays but he had TUF fights, BJ moving up and strikeforce contenders. He also had new guys who entered the division or matured enough for a shot.

Usman by a MILE. I’ve been waiting for Izzy to turn a corner but it just isn’t happening.
Adesanya is a poor man’s Anderson Silva, and I don’t want to downplay his status as king of that division but many times when he fights there are legitimate discussions about how his opponent can beat him.
On the other hand, Usman is a monster and I don’t think anyone, at this point, thinks he has any serious competition outside of MAYBE Covington. Izzy looks the same every single time and it has been sufficient to win, which is great. Usman looks more elite each time he enters the cage and it’s absolutely scary.

Usman seems unbeatable by any WW right now. Izzy not as much at MW. But I do think Usman is much more of a play it safe guy as far as staying in his division and lobbying for fights he wants. Nothing wrong with it.

No I did like him, just recently with the Masvidal rematch, and now this talk of Diaz, and him ducking the real WW top contenders, I no longer want to support a fighter who doesn't want to fight at the highest, especially when he is meant to be the champ. Give the belt to someone else who will defend it properly, and go do your Mickey Mouse fights for money elsewhere.
Pipe down Colby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back