Difference between Glory and K-1

manlyseaeagle

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Have not seen what K-1 is like now for a good 7 years and don't know the difference in them and wonder if anyone can give me the low down as who owns it and which is bigger and got a future, plus any chance of a merger between the 2 so all the talent can fight each other.

K-1 is as good as dead. Glory is bigger and has the better fighters. I don't think they will merge and they don't need to sooner or later every top fighter will be signed to Glory even now about 90% of the top fighters are with Glory

K1 is a shadow of its former self. There are still a few good fighters there, but in general Glory has the talent.

A few dodgy K1 events have been organized, such as the last one in China where the referee was also the trainer of a Chinese fighter who was fighting in the ring. Can you believe that?

I think Glory has the best future, but don't forget Legend. It's a new Russian organization with A LOT of money. They are currently talking to Saki, Holzken and probably many other fighters. Badr Hari is already fighting for them, but you can forget about him, since he's not taking the sport serious anymore.

What I like about Glory:
- They take the sport seriously
- They have a lot of experience in kickboxing
- They're improving. I think the events are getting better production wise.
- They provide a future for kickboxing

What I don't like about Glory:
- They focus on the US too much, which results in lower class American fighters fighting main events, because they're American
- Not enough Thai fighters.
- Spike has too much influence. They changed the 8 men tournaments to 4 men tournaments because of the air time they get on Spike TV.
- The strange rules, such as flash knock down, 2 minute rounds etc.

Overall I think it's good that K1 and Legend exist besides Glory. Fighters can choose now and I think Bas Boon & Friends shouldn't be people with a monopoly position.

K1 is a shadow of its former self. There are still a few good fighters there, but in general Glory has the talent.

A few dodgy K1 events have been organized, such as the last one in China where the referee was also the trainer of a Chinese fighter who was fighting in the ring. Can you believe that?

I think Glory has the best future, but don't forget Legend. It's a new Russian organization with A LOT of money. They are currently talking to Saki, Holzken and probably many other fighters. Badr Hari is already fighting for them, but you can forget about him, since he's not taking the sport serious anymore.

What I like about Glory:

- They focus on the US too much, which results in lower class American fighters fighting main events, because they're American
- Spike has too much influence. They changed the 8 men tournaments to 4 men tournaments because of the air time they get on Spike TV.

Overall I think it's good that K1 and Legend exist besides Glory. Fighters can choose now and I think Bas Boon & Friends shouldn't be people with a monopoly position.

Cheers just hope there is just one UFC version of Kickboxing soon as I didn't even know about the Russian one....my head hurts.

It happened once, 2 years ago in Tokyo. Since they moved to 4 man tourneys, 2 min rounds are gone.

I dig Glory. Great presentation and fan appeal, tournaments and super fights on every card, seasoned veterans along with practically unknown talented prospects, internationally rich roster... How can you not like that? My favorite sport is traditional MT with elbows and stuff, but I simply love Glory.

The difference I like between the two is the ruleset, like being able to work in a real clinch for 5 seconds. This means more knees are utilized in Glory(hopefully this also means we'll get to see some high level Thai's follow in Buakaw's footsteps and try their hand at Kickboxing). I also like the weight classes and how accessible Kickboxing has become because of them. K-1 never seemed to have much interest in North America and when they tried to get a deal with Spike they fucked it up... and let the UFC move in. Lol.

The sport is more accessible than ever now, it's an amazing time to be a combat sports fan.

Whats the deal with Legend? Do they have another show scheduled?

The kickboxing scene is now divided into promotions. Glory doesn"t act like an organization, like the old and good K-1 that reunited all the kickboxers from all the promotions. It"s almost like the former K-1 or the UFC now in MMA. Second best is Superkombat, which is a stable promotion compared to K-1. A kind of Bellator. K-1 used to use the SK fighters (mainly heavyweights), as an alternative because Glory was signing the biggest kickboxers. Now they don"t do it anymore. I don"t know how the HW division will look in K-1 in 2014. The MAX category looks competitive though. We also have FFC and Legend, but the last one despite holding luxury shows is yet unproven. I would also mention Enfusion and A1 WCC. Did I miss anybody?

But Glory is currently trying to work with all the promotions and sign talented fighters for about 2 fights.

Yes Glory is doing well and yes they have the fighting experience from back in K-1 and gain experience from the events they are doing. So that's all very good.

They have to watch their back though, because like someone said, they abandoned kickboxings main attraction and overall the event like by anyone, the Finals each year. I think that could be a fatal mistake as there's another promotion called Legend with loads of money silently making its way up and they can capitalise on the fact that Glory doesn't have he Final 8 by organising one themselves.

What I like about Glory:

WTF is that real
source

They have to watch their back though, because like someone said, they abandoned kickboxings main attraction and overall the event like by anyone, the Finals each year. I think that could be a fatal mistake as there's another promotion called Legend with loads of money silently making its way up and they can capitalise on the fact that Glory doesn't have he Final 8 by organising one themselves.

The 4 man tournaments aren't great agreed. Still with more weight classes than K-1 had it would be hard to run a final16 and final 8 for all of them. Hopefully they go back to 8 man tournaments once the Spike deal is over/renewed with a longer timeslot.

Also Legend isn't even real a competitor. They have next to no distribution, no roster and they are losing tons of money each event. Legend has no future they way they are run. Who would Legend even have in a Final 8 to compete against Glory on any level?

The kickboxing scene is now divided into promotions. Glory doesn"t act like an organization, like the old and good K-1 that reunited all the kickboxers from all the promotions. It"s almost like the former K-1 or the UFC now in MMA. Second best is Superkombat, which is a stable promotion compared to K-1. A kind of Bellator. K-1 used to use the SK fighters (mainly heavyweights), as an alternative because Glory was signing the biggest kickboxers. Now they don"t do it anymore. I don"t know how the HW division will look in K-1 in 2014. The MAX category looks competitive though. We also have FFC and Legend, but the last one despite holding luxury shows is yet unproven. I would also mention Enfusion and A1 WCC. Did I miss anybody?

But Glory is currently trying to work with all the promotions and sign talented fighters for about 2 fights.

get the fuck out......superkombat is nowhere near second.....Legend has held only a few events but with much better fight cards than superkombat......also in recent 1-2 years even k1 (wich is dying) still had the better fighters

you are so biased because you're from romania....it's pathetic

get the fuck out......superkombat is nowhere near second.....Legend has held only a few events but with much better fight cards than superkombat......also in recent 1-2 years even k1 (wich is dying) still had the better fighters

SK is doing a much better job and they are consistently putting out events and giving talent the change to fight. Legend only did a few one of events to throw around some money. I would also say SK is number two.

Some people here seem to be flat out bonkers thinking Legend is a great organization.

Last edited:
The difference I like between the two is the ruleset, like being able to work in a real clinch for 5 seconds. This means more knees are utilized in Glory(hopefully this also means we'll get to see some high level Thai's follow in Buakaw's footsteps and try their hand at Kickboxing). I also like the weight classes and how accessible Kickboxing has become because of them. K-1 never seemed to have much interest in North America and when they tried to get a deal with Spike they fucked it up... and let the UFC move in. Lol.

The sport is more accessible than ever now, it's an amazing time to be a combat sports fan.

Did you think Glory could be big the states if it drops leg kicks and have shiny pants for it's uniform ?.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Glory seems like a more bare-bones K-1 in terms of them trying to make it as legit as possible. K-1's events where they had like 70,000 people watching Le Banner and Hoost slug it out were absolutely insane and made for great memories, but Glory seems to want to legitimize the sport more.

I love both approaches, and I really like the place Kickboxing is in right now, even though it doesn't have the pageantry K-1 brought to the table and it's not the epic spectacle it once was.

Legend has held only a few events but with much better fight cards than superkombat......

Samedov also fought in Superkombat last year, some years ago in Local Kombat too. Or in K-1 Fighting Newtork which were events under the K-1 banner but organized by Irimia in whole South-Eastern Europe.

So what did Legend have on the card? Zhuravlev, A Stoica and Preteni, already promoted in two big promotions (Superkombat and Final Fight Championship), in rest who else? Parparyan and Stevelmans who are on downtrend? Or Manhoef who is far from his prime (I can say that, no, because he didn"t provide)? Big deal, he was also linked to the Superkombat, but couldn"t compete due to injury. Or Ignashov who was already fighting in Romania? And Cro Cop, but that was MMA, not counted.

After all, Legend 2 had a Superkombat champion champion. :) Who suffered a heavy beating from Adegbuyi in Superkombat just last month! But Zhuravlev is good and in prime, I appreciate him a lot. Would you rather prefer a Badr Hari at 200k euros to fight like that against Samedov?

Before, except Askerov again nobody. And of course, Hari vs. Samedov I. Sapp was also fighting but in MMA fight, Superkombat had him anyway.

So you"re funny, it"s not like Superkombat doesn"t have other fighters. To be compared with Askerov. Stoica brothers, Cătinaș, Moroșanu, Adegbuyi, Londt, Lascenko and of course Zhuravlev because not Legend made his name.

Find out that Verhoeven, Zimmerman, Ben Edwards, Gerges, Anderson Silva, Zambidis, Kraus and many others, all fought in Superkombat since 2011.

Legend Fighting Championship only had Badr Hari who is over the Superkombat level, that"s all. A shadow of Moroccan.

Of course, I must stick to objectivity and say that Legend had a bit better cards but we"ll talk about management in some time. Superkombat try not to go too far with the expenses. If you ask me, it"s also crazy that Glory pay so much because without Glory these fighters would fight for 4 times less or more. Funniest was Mike Kim with his probably still unpaid 1 million and you"re talking to me about K-1 in recent years. :)

also in recent 1-2 years even k1 (wich is dying) still had the better fighters

Which are those shows? The 2012 Final 16 and Final events, with the Superkombat help? SK focuses on the HW but not only, K-1 on MAX now. But I"m afraid K-1 has only Buakaw. Souwer didn"t even compete more. Lee, Campbell or Kehl, I don"t see them not even in top 10 in the world.

Some people here seem to be flat out bonkers thinking Legend is a great organization.

I always talk nicely about Legend but Russian promotions come and go. I loved the luxury shows, I mean the entrances, but the cards weren"t really Glory level. Let"s see first if there is a continuity.

Superkombat already has 3 seasons, with a Local Kombat background started in 2003. 11 years of shows. 2013 was a risk with the youngsters but they will continue. Just that in 2014 they will have a better developed weight classes and the level will rise up. You will hear more about some of these names. Orsat Zovko does the same in Croatia, with a smaller circuit in the promotion that will feed.

Glory better keep the Road to Glory events (in order also to promote this sport in the United States mainly but not only), because all the kickboxers they have are produced in the Netherlands. Or the majority. The database in kickboxing could still be a little bit more impressive.

No, I"m not biased and it"s not only me who is calling it second, also respectable sites.

get the fuck out......

But, hey, I forgot you"re Moroccan. Find out that there is a big respect between Dutch people and the rest of the world in the kickboxing world. So try copy the good ones not your idol.

Last edited:
Back