Difference between BJJ and Japanese Jui Jitsu

The main difference is in training. The techniques are the same in both, but BJJ focuses on the ground game, while TJJ does a lot more self-defense training (ie punching and kicking) and focuses a lot more on standup. Just a difference in what they stress in training.

Also, BJJ is much more sport/competition oriented than most TJJ.

BJJ is nothing but an off-shoot of an off shoot from Japanese Jujitsu. There are atually numerous Japanese Jujitsu styles too.

There is NO difference.....Jiu Jitsu is Jiu Jitsu....People will get into all kinds of complicated explanations about this. Basically, the Gracies just took the jiu jitsu they learned and named it Gracie or BJJ. Just like Japanese dojo's and masters name their little clans that all have slightly different ways of teaching based on their personal styles. And of course EVERYBODY comes up with new moves here and there. Nobody knows ALL of the moves that somebody else knows. It's just a progression of learning for all jiu jitsu practicioners.

Oh, there may be one difference. The Gracie jiu jitsu system is more of a business that takes in tons of money and makes it very competitive to get a Black belt primarily for monetary reasons. There a LOTS of guys who could/should be promoted to BB right now in BJJ but the masters just keep holding and holding that promotion until they just can't hold it any longer. Meaning they only give it when it's usually WAY beyond being due to the practitioner. Whereas in Japanese jiu jitsu, if you know the moves and can demonstrate it, you get a BB without all of the Gracie politics.

VagabondMusashi said:
What the hell are you talking about, BJJ has a decent arsenal of standing strikes, mainly the front stomp, the elbow, the punch, the headbutt... of course you wouldn

Oktavius said:
Could you go into more detail about the strikes you train in and which Gracie Barra you train at? Im very interested because out of a bunch of scholls ive been to few if any of them trained in striking aside from a Barra school once did some boxing focus mit warm ups. I wish bjj was more focused to the defense because most schools here are almost full sports orientated.

Gracie Barra Recife, in Brazil. Professor Z

I wasn't aware striking was trained at all in bjj. (I have never trained in it) Wouldn't it be called vale tudo though?

triggertap79 said:
I wasn't aware striking was trained at all in bjj. (I have never trained in it) Wouldn't it be called vale tudo though?

your right this is gnp training

Back