Difference between BJJ and Japanese Jui Jitsu

GerardSmith7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not trying to sound ignorant but why call it brazillian Jui Jitsui instead of just Jui Jitsu? What is it that makes it Brazilian? I'm familiar with BJJ but i'm not familiar with Japanese Jui Jitsu. I say this because I know so many people who claim Brazilians invented this and that when I'm sure these moves have been around for a lot longer.

It is Jiu Jitsu or JuJutsu (Japanese version)

Japanese focuses on alot of small joint lockes, as well, BJJ focuses on a lot more effective striking on the ground.

It is BJJ because it breaks away from the origins and style of Japanese Ju Jutsu.

I think a little less of BJJ ever since KenFlo said he was a "Master of BJJ"

the principles are just the same. bjj derived from japanese judo and jui jutsu. the techniques are basically the same. however due to the art being developed by small guys, bjj is more effective when fighting from the bottom. history of bjj on www.bjj.org

As I can recall, jiu jitsu originated from japan, during the middle ages of japan which Samurais who no long carry a sword use jiu jitsu as a hand to hand combat. the art is meant to subdue an adversary and not necessary kill or hurt them, but instead to demonstrate one's ability to physically and skillfully dominate a person.

brazilian jiu jitsu, also known as gracie jiu jitsu is a modified version of the basic jiu jitsu from japan which incorporated more locks and submission moves. it was developed for self defense against any sized avesary.

bjj is focused on ground grappling while japanese ju jitsu includes grappling, strikes, and alot of standing wrist locks and such. IMO japanese ju jitsu is good for self defence but is not as effective as bjj in mma.

Real Japanese Jiu-Jitsu contains strikes, throws, weapons and limited groundwork.

BJJ is a little standup grappling and lots of modified groundwork technique.

Now they are completely separate arts.

BJJ is much closer to Judo than it is to Japanese Jiu Jitsu. Watch Yoshida fights and compare them to UFC I or II. He and Gracie almost seem to use the same techniques.

Well, as i see it BJJ took the best from Judo and Jiu Jitsu from a smaller guys perspective.
So what it really does is how to survive and finally winning over a bigger guy,and if it is a bigger guy he has some ways to put you on your back, and thats why BJJ is such a strong art from the bottom.

Well, thats not really true now is it, but i just got my computer back and feel and urge to post every single idea i have on sherdog today... :)

Good thread, some excellent posts ... 3 years ago such subject usually went into a flame war ...

firepowr said:
As I can recall, jiu jitsu originated from japan, during the middle ages of japan which Samurais who no long carry a sword use jiu jitsu as a hand to hand combat. the art is meant to subdue an adversary and not necessary kill or hurt them, but instead to demonstrate one's ability to physically and skillfully dominate a person.

brazilian jiu jitsu, also known as gracie jiu jitsu is a modified version of the basic jiu jitsu from japan which incorporated more locks and submission moves. it was developed for self defense against any sized avesary.
Get out of here with that also known as gracie ju jitsu

What the hell are you talking about, BJJ has a decent arsenal of standing strikes, mainly the front stomp, the elbow, the punch, the headbutt... of course you wouldn

vagabond said: " What the hell are you talking about, BJJ has a decent arsenal of standing strikes...

but compared to jjj, nowhere near as many stand-up techniques, striking and throwing and what not. on the ground though jjj has more locks rather than chokes or sumissions. I was in a jjj taining camp in 1988 and a bjj guy came in to co-instruct us, naturally he was tiny and what he taught mainly was ground stuff.... best thing I learnt actually (that I can recall) was how to get a mofo out of the turtle guard - thing was, you can really hurt your own head doing it, which I preceded to do first try... and maybe second try too, third try I hurt his head though. I've never seen a judo throw that wasn't also in jjj.... but I would have to say judo and akido are pretty damn close too.

to cut it down - bjj is a street version of jjj for the smaller guy. jjj guy went to brazil, taught some scrappy lads some moves, and these scrappy lads took their newfound knowledge and started a frozen yogurt buisness and were very successful with it, one of those little boys didn't like ice cream and preferred the sweet taste of a jujutekami (word is real but I made the spelling up) up in his crotch, so he started a buisness called frozen japanese jujutsu, but that didn't work so he changed it to gracie jiu jitsu

heyseuss said:
to cut it down - bjj is a street version of jjj for the smaller guy.

couldnt put it any better

heyseuss said:
jjj guy went to brazil, taught some scrappy lads some moves, and these scrappy lads took their newfound knowledge and started a frozen yogurt buisness and were very successful with it, one of those little boys didn't like ice cream and preferred the sweet taste of a jujutekami (word is real but I made the spelling up) up in his crotch, so he started a buisness called frozen japanese jujutsu, but that didn't work so he changed it to gracie jiu jitsu

that is the weirdest metaphor i have ever seen, but it works

Although I'm not a practitioner, I'm a fan of the sport/art. I believe the only difference lies in the training philosophy. Japanese Jujutsu teaches certain techniques which can't be practiced over and over again on a daily/weekly basis due to the danger to the training partner, or even oneself. On the other hand, Brazilian Jujutsu, like traditional Judo, has discarded those moves that are just too dangerous to effectively and constantly practice. The result of such restructuring in the training method is a consistent gain in effectiveness (the techniques get "updated"). Unlike Judo, BJJ (specifically coming from Helio's lineage) is often focused on acquiring proficiency in the "inferior" position of the guard (Judo stresses domination in the mount). Oh, and techniques/fighting concepts are not invented anymore, but rather rediscovered.

Hope this helps...

The main difference is in training. The techniques are the same in both, but BJJ focuses on the ground game, while TJJ does a lot more self-defense training (ie punching and kicking) and focuses a lot more on standup. Just a difference in emphasis.

Back