Difference between being an outstanding athlete, and an outstanding fighter

Rory Macdonald is a great athlete with top notch coaching.

Robbie Lawler is a great fighter

You do realize that if that were a street fight that Robbie Lawler would probably be dead today, right? Haha

You do realize that if that were a street fight that Robbie Lawler would probably be dead today, right? Haha

it's true--the sport has rules and rounds and robbie was pretty much saved by that format. i disagree with the other comment that rory is not a "fighter"--he's definitely got killer instinct, but as an athlete he does fight smart and picks his places and tries to avoid damage. but he can turn it on when he wants/needs. sometimes he's a bit too reserved, which begets that criticism, but he's a smart fighter for sure and a fighter just the same.

Rory Macdonald is a great athlete with top notch coaching.

Robbie Lawler is a great fighter

Stupid post.

Rory is hardly one of the best athletes at 170, let alone MMA or the world.

He does fight intelligently and is very well coached, yes.

if you'd played high school sports, you might be familiar with the guys who run fast, jump high, lift a ton and was ripped to shred...

during the off seasons, these guys are the top dawgs, but come play time, out in the field, amidst the lights of a friday night, they haven't got a clue...

meanwhile, there are those who are slow, don't lift much and look un-athletics who are star players...

some people just have a nose for the game, and some don't... similar to fighting...

That's not fact, that's simple coincidence. More often than not the superior physique will perform better. You might be someone that is "slow, don't lift much and look unathletic" who is able to perform through tireless effort but that does not make what you said true. Heart and skill are variables. We cannot pretend one type of athlete has or hasn't those traits. The fact is, being an athletic person makes you inherently better at fighting as opposed to being nonathletic. You can point out athletic dudes being beat up by chubs but that's still not a factual reference. Instead you can say "imagine how much worse that chub would beat his ass if he were athletic." If you can't understand how being athletic helps in a fight then you are simply unfortunate enough not to have those genetic qualities.

an a-level athlete might rather dunk a basketball than get punched in the ace. that's what i've been talking about. not everyone is cut out to be a fighter, and athleticism alone doesn't make some a fighter.

It's not even close to being about "everyone". It's not even close to being about "most". It's also not even close to "athleticism alone" making someone a fighter.

If we take the top 50 of each division there are around 400 male MMA fighters who could be considered "high level". Meanwhile there are more than 4000 high level athletes in the top professional soccer leagues, NFL, NHL, NBA etc.

Even if a mere 10% of those hugely competitive, high-testosterone, alpha male big sport athletes had what it took to be a fighter that'd be a MASSIVE impact on the level of MMA.

It's not even close to being about "everyone". It's not even close to being about "most". It's also not even close to "athleticism alone" making someone a fighter.

If we take the top 50 of each division there are around 400 male MMA fighters who could be considered "high level". Meanwhile there are more than 4000 high level athletes in the top professional soccer leagues, NFL, NHL, NBA etc.

Even if a mere 10% of those hugely competitive, high-testosterone, alpha male big sport athletes had what it took to be a fighter that'd be a MASSIVE impact on the level of MMA.

imma is already full of competitive high-testosterone alpha males. i don't know why your getting all thick and veiny imagining if those hugely competitive, high-testosterone, alpha males were big sport athletes as well.

A) Athletes don't decide to go to the NFL/NBA over MMA just on a decision, it's more so the fact that those people play Football and Basketball from elementary school and decide to go that route because it's where a lifetime of skill and practice leads them.

Bruh....

And to answer your question about the difference:

1.) Athletes don't get punched in the face

2.) Fighters get punched in the face

You can have the heart to keep running for a touchdown, TOTALLY different beast to have the heart to keep fighting when you're getting beat down in a bad way.

You do not have to be a great athlete to succeed in MMA. Obviously athleticism is helpful, but it's nowhere near the most important factor.

imma is already full of competitive high-testosterone alpha males. i don't know why your getting all thick and veiny imagining if those hugely competitive, high-testosterone, alpha males were big sport athletes as well.

It doesn't take much. Even a large truck going past will do it sometimes.

Outstanding athletes are defined by measurable physical attributes usually, speed, strength, power etc. An outstanding fighter is more subjective, however I believe factors such as decision making, durability and of course skill are some of the main factors.

I find it weird how the UFC only attributes great athleticism to fighters who are powerful, rarely taking cardio into consideration. OSP, for example, is always coined as this great athlete but his cardio is pretty terrible, I find it kinda weird how cardio is always overlooked...

Back