Diff between Judo Gis and BJJ Gis

ClubberLange said:
that sound pretty steep. Here in Aus, I've payed $70 ($50 US) for a crappy judo gi and $150 ($110 US)

Yeah, sorry, 240 canadian. About 185 US.

I got my Akido gi for five US dollars off of Ebay. I don't do Akido - only BJJ and some TKD - but it works well enough for both. Just get one off of an auction, I suggest.

I just bought my gi at a bjj school, but the gi was a judo gi. I guess it really doesnt matter, i think everyone has pretty much said the samething...

The Mizuno ichiban is about the middle of the line and I got mine (blue) for 200 CND

It can matter for competitions... Gi has to meet specific requirements in length etc... bjj gi may differ from judo gi may differ from ju jutsu gi etc. and on a comp you might be disqualified for that...

DMcKayBJJ said:
Judo to BJJ is OK, BJJ to Judo is not so OK, since Judo gi's are cut a lot bigger and looser.

Yeah, I posted on another forum about this and received little response (and briefly combed the search engine here). I use both my judogi and my BJJ Dragao gi for judo (started judo nearly three weeks ago). As spoonman mentioned, the BJJ is a tighter fit, and some of the Judo BBs give me the impression as if wearing the Dragao gi is officially wrong or of bad etiquette. I found an olympic rulebook for judo, briefly skimmed the description for gis, and don't know yet if my gi is legit for training and for competition (I hope to start competing soon).

IMP said:
bjj gi may differ from judo gi may differ from ju jutsu gi etc. and on a comp you might be disqualified for that...

What are some working rules of thumbs for adequate judo gi specifications?

I know in the 2000 olympics the japanese complained that the euro judogis were too thick in the lapel.

Back