Diff between Judo Gis and BJJ Gis

Jodoka Ray

White Belt
Reaction score
hi, i've been doing judo for some time now and i would like to join a BJJ club. Can i use the same gi? What's the diff between the 2?

You can use the same gi, I think. Judo gis are larger and more bulky; bjj gis are shorter and tighter. That's what I heard anyway. I bought an Akido gi off of ebay (for five bucks) and it works well enough.

you should be fine in your judo gi. it'll just be bigger than the bjj gis. i don't imagine anyone will really care.

BJJ gi's are traditionally cut a lot shorter and fit tighter, I use my Judo Gi for both. Judo gi's are cheaper. Judo gi's are cut much looser for gripping.

They're almost the same, it won't be a problem using it for both...

Unless whoever runs your bjj club is some sort of weird pedantic muppet, you won't have a problem. Hell, I used to go to judo in a sombo gi when i first started judo, nobody seemed to care it just made me stick out like a short thumb.

I use a Judo Gi..Every BJJ place i went to didnt care...Just as along as it can be used for grappling..But They do seem to enjoy tearing TKD and Karate Gi's lol..Its pretty funny

I started a thread about this a few weeks ago.

I've trained judo for a while & I started training BJJ 3 weeks ago, using my judo gi. People say a BJJ gi will be less baggy, but mine seems the same as everybody else in the BJJ class, no disadvantage. The only difference I noticed is my pants are floor length, while BJJ gis are usually above the ankle. I'll get them hemmed, no big deal.

Resident A-hole said:
I started a thread about this a few weeks ago.

I've trained judo for a while & I started training BJJ 3 weeks ago, using my judo gi. People say a BJJ gi will be less baggy, but mine seems the same as everybody else in the BJJ class, no disadvantage. The only difference I noticed is my pants are floor length, while BJJ gis are usually above the ankle. I'll get them hemmed, no big deal.
judo draws are suppose to be above the ankle.

I started BJJ with a judo gi, and still use it, as well as a BJJ gi.
Judo to BJJ is OK, BJJ to Judo is not so OK, since Judo gi's are cut a lot bigger and looser.

that's good to know! You guys think that if i start BJJ now (i'm a ikkyu in Judo) i can get my blue belt in a year?

Spoonman7 said:
BJJ gi's are traditionally cut a lot shorter and fit tighter, I use my Judo Gi for both. Judo gi's are cheaper. Judo gi's are cut much looser for gripping.

My judogi cost $240. How much is a nice bjj one? Just as tight as judo allows and as tight as any on the bjj guys I've seen. I would guess they are the same except the patches.

monkey roll said:
that's good to know! You guys think that if i start BJJ now (i'm a ikkyu in Judo) i can get my blue belt in a year?

You should have it in no time if you're a brown in judo.

Q mystic said:
My judogi cost $240. How much is a nice bjj one? Just as tight as judo allows and as tight as any on the bjj guys I've seen. I would guess they are the same except the patches.

you can get a real good one for under $150
check out www.jiujitsuprogear.com
they are legit and very fast shipping...great quality...
if you search at all online for gi's, this is where you'll end up..
HCK and Koral are great.

thickness plus the BJJ gi's have a more taper in the sleeves.

Q mystic said:

What you get for $240? Mizuno?

I wore my blue Atama BJJ gi to Judo all the time. Mostly because my white gi had my BJJ competition team patch on it. And the patches are a no-no in Judo.

Cojofl said:
What you get for $240? Mizuno?

Gold Toraki. The Mizuno was actually more expensive. Shit...Canadian, about 185 US.

Q mystic said:
My judogi cost $240. How much is a nice bjj one?
that sound pretty steep. Here in Aus, I've payed $70 ($50 US) for a crappy judo gi and $150 ($110 US)

Back