Diego Sanchez - 2004-2006

YesYesYes88

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have followed Diego Sanchez for a very long time and I just would like everyone else's opinions. I just feel Diego is a forgotten man nowadays and no talk of him is made anymore. But I do understand and appreciate that MMA is one of the sports which is based on "what have you done recently".

Anyways, I really did think Diego would have become the WW champ a long time ago. Ever since I saw him on TUF 1, the guy won me over big time. He had an excellent ground game and had such a confidence and belief in himself that just made me believe that it was his destiny to become champ.

Obviously, I have now come to the realisation that Diego won't beat GSP but what did all of you think of Diego as a fighter back before his 2nd fight with Kos (UFC 69)? Did you believe he was the real deal and a future champ? OR did you think he was just a UFC hype? I really believed back in 2005/06 that he would beat GSP and for many years I compared the 2 fighters.

Just so you all are aware, Diego was on a big 6-0 win streak in the UFC over tough and credible fighters such as Parisyan, Diaz and Riggs. I was surprised that Diego never received his title shot after the Parisyan fight but I do recall Diego stating that he wasn't too fussed and "his time will come".

Anyways, would love to know everyone's opinions of what they thought of Diego before his loss to Koscheck at UFC 69? Please set your mindset and views to Diego pre UFC 69 only.

I have followed Diego Sanchez for a very long time and I just would like everyone else's opinions. I just feel Diego is a forgotten man nowadays and no talk of him is made anymore. But I do understand and appreciate that MMA is one of the sports which is based on "what have you done recently".

Anyways, I really did think Diego would have become the WW champ a long time ago. Ever since I saw him on TUF 1, the guy won me over big time. He had an excellent ground game and had such a confidence and belief in himself that just made me believe that it was his destiny to become champ.

Obviously, I have now come to the realisation that Diego won't beat GSP but what did all of you think of Diego as a fighter back before his 2nd fight with Kos (UFC 69)? Did you believe he was the real deal and a future champ? OR did you think he was just a UFC hype? I really believed back in 2005/06 that he would beat GSP and for many years I compared the 2 fighters.

Just so you all are aware, Diego was on a big 6-0 win streak in the UFC over tough and credible fighters such as Parisyan, Diaz and Riggs. I was surprised that Diego never received his title shot after the Parisyan fight but I do recall Diego stating that he wasn't too fussed and "his time will come".

Anyways, would love to know everyone's opinions of what they thought of Diego before his loss to Koscheck at UFC 69? Please set your mindset and views to Diego pre UFC 69 only.

Yeah, I think that loss to Koscheck demoralized him a little bit, especially since they had legit beef

I thought the exact same thing back when he was undefeated. After he lost to Koscheck me and my family thought that Diego was going to kill himself.

I thought Diego was good but never saw him becoming champ. Good fighter but questionable fight iq

Yeh, the Koscheck fight definitely wrecked Diego's confidence and did demoralise him. The guy used to be sooo confident before his fights. I really miss his praying he used to do before his fights (the one that Alves does as well).

He's always been somewhat limited on the feet, but he's tough,durable and has a champions heart. He'll stick around and beat anyone who cant handle his pace.

He was definitely a top fighter. He lost close fights against Fitch and koscheck who were the no 1 and 2 guys. He also beat some really good guys over his career. The only person to really dominate and finish Diego was penn. I do think he's on a down slope of his career right now but is still a solid fighter.

I liked him more when he would start the fight with a flurry of crosses and force the opponent into an in-close brawl.

I liked him more when he would start the fight with a flurry of crosses and force the opponent into an in-close brawl.

That wasn't the old Diego my friend. I actually hate when Diego brawls like he did against Kampmann. Even though he hurt both Kampmann and Guida bad, I just think that brawling like that does not have much technique in it.

That wasn't the old Diego my friend. I actually hate when Diego brawls like he did against Kampmann. Even though he hurt both Kampmann and Guida bad, I just think that brawling like that does not have much technique in it.

Lol I know. Technique was completely out the window but he usually looked "in control lol" during the exchanges. Clay looked like he was out gunned completely when their exchanges ceased.

I think there is a little of just bleed!!1 In all of us. Diego would turn that shit up to 11.

When you mean old Diego do you mean like Nick Diaz vs Sanchez era??

Lol I know. Technique was completely out the window but he usually looked "in control lol" during the exchanges. Clay looked like he was out gunned completely when their exchanges ceased.

I think there is a little of just bleed!!1 In all of us. Diego would turn that shit up to 11.

When you mean old Diego do you mean like Nick Diaz vs Sanchez era??

Yeh, I mean the era of where he fought Diaz, PArisyan, Allessio etc

And yeh, Diego look in control during his brawls but still.

I thought he would be champ one day. Still may happen. :)

one things for sure, he trains HARD!

images

The Deigo that fought Nick Diaz is one of the most entertaining fighters ever.

I wish he could have continued with that momentum.

never liked diego. was a decent fighter but like someone already said, he has a low fight IQ and has one of my least favorite styles of mma fighting.

i agree with ts fully.

that being said, the 2nd kos fight shouldnt have destroyed diego as he had a nasty staph infection.

i think the biggest thing that fucked him up was jackson hand choosing gsp as his #1 ww over his long time pupil diego.

Good to see many old school sherdoggers commenting here! I think Diego's biggest problem always is his wrestling. Just can't take anyone down these days. Of course he has fought some incredible TDD fighters such as BJ (No one would take that UFC 107 BJ down), Kampmann, Ellenberger but his takedowns have always been fairly weak.

Just wish Diego had the wrestling of a Koscheck. If he did, he would have been champ imo considering Diego is an absolute stud on the ground on top.

When he beat Joe Riggs i truly believed he was gonna be a top 3 ww for a long ass time. He was high in the ranks. I just couldn't believe when he dropped back to back fights against Kos and Fitch. Looking back in his career (I watched him since tuf1) i think he had lots of heart and determination, but skill wise he just didn't cut it into the elite.

Last edited:
Id love to see him make another run at lw, so many exciting fights for him there. Him vs Henderson would be epic

Back