Diego Sanchez - 2004-2006

i agree with ts fully.

that being said, the 2nd kos fight shouldnt have destroyed diego as he had a nasty staph infection.

i think the biggest thing that fucked him up was jackson hand choosing gsp as his #1 ww over his long time pupil diego.

100% Agree with you!!! I forgot to mention this. I was so devastedthat Jackson brought in GSP. As Diego said, that was the gym that he cried and bled in soo many times. GReg should never have done that to Diego since Diego was 6-0 in the ufc and on the brink of a title shot.

Lightweight Diego is far superior to welterweight Diego.

Crisp striking and he would be top 5 for life. Always a fan!

I think Diego finding how stupid of a moron he was for investing... sorry, getting hustled via cold fusion was his down fall.

that staph infection damn near killed him he hasn't been right since.

Diego has been and will always be my favorite fighter in MMA. There aren't enough words to describe my devotion as a fan to him. I always thought he would be a champion in one or another weight class. I still believe today that if he brings his best game he could challenge for the title again. Hopefully he has no issues coming down to light weight again.

Pre UFC 69 Diego was most definently a Top 10 welterweight, and has been Top 10 most of his career. Kos simply got better and fixed the holes in his game that night. Losing to Kos made a better fighter though, and to this day I still believe he beat Jon Fitch 29-28 (offense over position)

Didn't Diego have like a staph infection or something during his fight with Koscheck? Or am I just remembering it wrong.

I honestly always thought people were crazy when they said Diego was champ material.

I remember a journalist on Sherdog writing an editorial about how he knew right away that Diego was something special and that he guaranteed he was going to be a champion... he also said that this "feeling" he had about Diego he had only experienced one other time (I don't remember who this other person was but I think it was a boxer).

I remember very well thinking how crazy they were to believe such things about Diego.

I mean you looked at him fight and then you look at what GSP was doing to his opposition and you can't seriously tell me they believed he was going to be at an even higher level than Georges. Talk about not having an eye for talent.

Diego, like many have said, has an incredible belief in himself... but it is evident and I think it was back then too, that he's a classic overachiever.

never liked diego. was a decent fighter but like someone already said, he has a low fight IQ and has one of my least favorite styles of mma fighting.

Diego is not the most gifted fighter or that talented but either way: HE NEEDS A REMATCH WITH DIAZ to buoy up his career.

I thought Diego was a pretty good fighter but I never felt like he would become a Champion. I always seen him as in the middle of the top ten in either weight class. And that's no disrepect, there are plenty of fighters who wished they could consistently in the top 5- 12 of their division.

The way he lost to BJ was such a surprise he never could mount any offense in the fight, his technique was just not there, he was a fierce competitor but will probably never fight for the UFC belt again, but maybe I am wrong.

The way he lost to BJ was such a surprise he never could mount any offense in the fight, his technique was just not there, he was a fierce competitor but will probably never fight for the UFC belt again, but maybe I am wrong.

I mostly agree with the bolded section . . . I couldn't believe how much better Penn looked than him. He took such a thrashing in that bout man. Wow. And what bothered me is he kept going for the takedown in the late rounds when all fight he had no success with them. His only hope was somehow catching BJ with a punch and either KOing him or at least getting to the ground that way.

Anyway, I still believe in Diego to an extent. I do think for sure he could take another run at a LW title-shot . . . Can't say I believe he'll be champ though. At one time I did though . . . At one time early on his career I thought he was the biggest threat to GSP's belt - I think I even did a thread on it way back in the day.

I mostly agree with the bolded section . . . I couldn't believe how much better Penn looked than him. He took such a thrashing in that bout man. Wow. And what bothered me is he kept going for the takedown in the late rounds when all fight he had no success with them. His only hope was somehow catching BJ with a punch and either KOing him or at least getting to the ground that way.

Anyway, I still believe in Diego to an extent. I do think for sure he could take another run at a LW title-shot . . . Can't say I believe he'll be champ though. At one time I did though . . . At one time early on his career I thought he was the biggest threat to GSP's belt - I think I even did a thread on it way back in the day.

You guys have to remember that that BJ at UFC 107 was the BEST BJ ever. HE was in the best shape of his life and was super motivated and hungry. He was excellent everywhere. Diego looked in excellent shape but I feel Diego never should have dropped to LW. He has looked flabby and out of shape going back up to WW.

I still think about that BJ from UFC 107 everyday. I wish that EXACT Bj showed up against Rory. Would have tooled Rory even though he was a lightweight.

Sign me up as a huge fan of the old Diego. Still love him but I miss the ground and pound Diego. Ironically, knocking out Riggs may not have been such a good thing for him, as he started thinking of himself as a boxer after that fight. He insisted on standing with Kos, but the only time that the fight went to the ground Diego quickly got the upper hand.

Still always entertaining to watch.

Sign me up as a huge fan of the old Diego. Still love him but I miss the ground and pound Diego. Ironically, knocking out Riggs may not have been such a good thing for him, as he started thinking of himself as a boxer after that fight. He insisted on standing with Kos, but the only time that the fight went to the ground Diego quickly got the upper hand.

Still always entertaining to watch.

I miss the good old days of Diego too. I hate seeing Diego's stand up. I miss his ground and pound and classic ground transitions. It is very strange that Diego still has no submission win in the UFC. But we should see him submit Gomi.

I Just feel that people seem to have forgotten about how good Diego was. I just wish Diego had the takedowns and explosiveness of a Koscheck. If he did, he would be champion in my opinion. Would take anyone down in the WW division.

Always been a fan of diego's, dude has heart for sure. think the drop to lw messed him up, hasn't seemed the same since. And that nasty staph too.

Having to take a back seat to georges prolly didn't help much either.

He needs to put some meat back on and make another run at WW, especially if all the speculation about Georges eventually going to 185 is true.

Can't help but think fightint Condit , 6'2" and then Diaz 6'1" is in preperation for andersons height, and why he didn't want to fight the shorter fighter in hHendricks, and his hate for diaz didn't hurt either.

Always been a fan of diego's, dude has heart for sure. think the drop to lw messed him up, hasn't seemed the same since. And that nasty staph too.

Having to take a back seat to georges prolly didn't help much either.

He needs to put some meat back on and make another run at WW, especially if all the speculation about Georges eventually going to 185 is true.

Can't help but think fightint Condit , 6'2" and then Diaz 6'1" is in preperation for andersons height, and why he didn't want to fight the shorter fighter in hHendricks, and his hate for diaz didn't hurt either.
I too think the drop to LW back at the start of 2009 really affected Diego. I Feel he needed to progress his career but he was doing excellent at WW and lost a super close decision to Fitch who is a beast.

I hope he does much better this time around. I just hope Diego doesn't look too drawn out against Gomi like he did against Joe daddy.

And I really doubt GSP moves up to 185. WW is his true best weight division and I highly doubt he wants any part of Anderson.

Back