• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Did you watch Everything Everywhere All at Once?

It was as original as Get Out was. Meaning it wasn’t original at all but for some reason will be thought of and presented as such.
What modern films do you consider more original? Seems odd to knock a film as unoriginal when the directors are purposefully paying homage to other art.

It’s a very good movie, but it’s also very overrated. As long as you don’t go into it thinking you’re about to watch the greatest movie of all time, I think you’ll enjoy it.

What modern films do you consider more original? Seems odd to knock a film as unoriginal when the directors are purposefully paying homage to other art.
Doing a multiverse movie, when the whole multiverse thing has been beaten like a dead horse in movies and TV lately is something I don’t consider the be all that original. Especially when the Russo brothers produced it, while they also produced another movie a few years ago about multiverse travel.

Doing a multiverse movie, when the whole multiverse thing has been beaten like a dead horse in movies and TV lately is something I don’t consider the be all that original. Especially when the Russo brothers produced it, while they also produced another movie a few years ago about multiverse travel.
I feel like that's a bit unfair and superficial, like arguing any movie with a romance is unoriginal because romances have been done to death since the dawn of film or art really. It handles the conceit of a multiverse in a decently novel way that advances the plot and plays to the film's emotional stakes. I think that's original enough, especially in the context of modern film. Not to mention comparing Avengers to this film is effectively comparing a superhero epic to a family drama diving into trauma and love. It's an entirely different premise and genre in my mind.

I feel like that's a bit unfair and superficial, like arguing any movie with a romance is unoriginal because romances have been done to death since the dawn of film or art really. It handles the conceit of a multiverse in a decently novel way that advances the plot and plays to the film's emotional stakes. I think that's original enough, especially in the context of modern film. Not to mention comparing Avengers to this film is effectively comparing a superhero epic to a family drama diving into trauma and love. It's an entirely different premise and genre in my mind.
Romance is broad and universal. Multiverse travel is specific and aimed. Completely different concepts. I said it earlier in this thread but EEAAO is basically a comic book movie that’t not associated with a comic book franchise, which makes some people feel like it’s okay to think it’s smart and intriguing when in reality it could pass as Dr Strange 3.

Multiverse travel is specific and aimed.
It's a plot device. Like a meet cute or heist or limited timeframe or worldending disaster/weapon. Every movie needs one. Not to mention comic book movie is a vague to the point of uselessness. How many other recent multiverse films are delving into the same themes as EEAAO? Certainly not anything else the Russo brothers have made.

How many other recent multiverse films are delving into the same themes as EEAAO? Certainly not anything else the Russo brothers have made.
Like being confronted with one’s past and questioning one’s life choices while dealing with what could’ve been? Like literally Steve Rogers and Tony Stark’s arks that were completed in the last Avenger’s movie?

Yeah they’re campy comic book characters so no one’s deeply thinking about their stories, but it’s the same thing.

Like being confronted with one’s past and questioning one’s life choices while dealing with what could’ve been? Like literally Steve Rogers and Tony Stark’s arks that were completed in the last Avenger’s movie?

Yeah they’re campy comic book characters so no one’s deeply thinking about their stories, but it’s the same thing.
Surely we can differentiate between intergenerational trauma specifically among Asian immigrants and that?

Surely we can differentiate between intergenerational trauma specifically among Asian immigrants and that?
Trauma is trauma. Most people aren’t going to relate to the specific scenario the characters are going through but instead can see their own circumstances in relation to that trauma. If you’re saying you have to be second/third generation asian to get the movie, well then I don’t think it’s a very good movie.

The movie had a lot of heart. (Mostly because of the husband that won best supporting actor) The third act was really good. I can see why some people failed to finish the movie after 20-30 minutes because the first act is probably it’s weakest point

I enjoyed the movie but thought, in contrast to what you felt, that the last section of it went overboard. I enjoyed the absurdity of the story as things got moving but lost interest when it turned into a huge superhero-movie style climactic battle.

I enjoyed the movie but thought, in contrast to what you felt, that the last section of it went overboard. I enjoyed the absurdity of the story as things got moving but lost interest when it turned into a huge superhero-movie style climactic battle.
Yeah the story went a little off the rails too. I agree. I just liked the third act for how emotional it was

No, I have zero interest in it. The concept is boring to me.

It's a great movie, pretty mind-blowing and unpredictable.

I thought it was great.

Usually can't stand multiverse stuff but this was very well done.

I saw it a while ago and thought it was great. I hadn't read anything about it before so I went in not really knowing what to expect.

I didn't see any sort of overarching social empowerment narrative unless you count "be kind". So I'm not sure where people got that.

I've seen so many misery guts twats get upset since it cleaned house Sunday.

It's a really good movie. Husband wasn't in the least bit interested and loved it. Well worthy of all its awards, I just wish it could have dual awarded with Banshees.

Back