Did You Know Pride Used An 8 Sided Ring For 3 Events?

images

You're just replacing cage grabs with ring grabs. Doesn't solve the problem and adds new ones.

The issue isn't the cage, it's the refereeing. Any cage grab should result in a successful takedown, the fight gets restarted with the offender on his back. That would solve it real quick.
Nah, rope grabs aren't as effective. Physics and all. Cagefighting has had 25 years to fix the rules and has failed to do so.

Why do we even have a cage? If we had plexiglass we could get around the grabbing the cage.

Yes, it was called Pride 'The Best' Series and Yushin Okami fought there

Just as long as there is enough room to hide under, Im good with either.

Where do I get DVD's of these ? I have all the Pride DVD's except ShockWave 2002 and these 3 .
These were the Young Gun events, you'd have to dig deep on Torrent sites to even find a trace of them. I'll check at home if I still have copies from years back
I never even saw bootleg Japan dvd for these events, and they release fucking everything

90IDmXc.png

Prior to Bushido, Pride had a separate format that used an 8 sided ring and it mainly featured lower level fighters. They started it in 2002, and ended it in 2002, deciding that the Bushido format was better. It was called Pride The Best Vol 1, 2, and 3.

Rounds were 2 x 5 minutes

Mods, these have been on youtube for several years. I guess the UFC doesn't really care, as they weren't really popular and the ended discontinuing the series. They were kind of quazi pride events

Takase and Joe Son both fought on this card

Overeem fought on Vol 2
images

Random pictures
hqdefault.jpg

What if modern MMA used something similar? You get the dimensions of a cage, but you can only use wall tactics in the corners. The cage fence makes it hard to see if you are in the arena. They also had the platform beyond the ropes so you couldn't fall out of the ring due to takedown or KO.

When I think "Cage fighter" the first thing that pops up in my head is a dude with a tapout shirt. Thank god that trend mainly disappeared. Still we have a stupid relic left over from the old school days. I am okay with having a relatively round ring, but the cage is just cringey.

#pridewasbetter

I Remember :
Yusuke Imamura vs Joe Son
Jukei Nakajima vs Joe Son
Antonio Schembri vs Daiju Takase
Johil de Oliveira vs Daiju Takase
Alistair Overeem vs Yusuke Imamura

They should fight on a football field. There's still a boundary for wrestling and strikers will have plenty of room for foot movement.

Joe Son fought on one of those cards LOL

I think it's time we get serious and bring back the fastest most revolutionary fighting surface ever invented

I think of the Best of Shows, there are only japanese versions of it...

Shockwave 2002...i don't know...

Have you ever come across Pre-Pride, PRIDE's version of TUF before TUF was a concept? I know that was a Japanese only program and in select markets at that.

My problem with a ring for MMA, is the stopping and restarting.

I'll take hard angles to promote cornering striking exchanges, a smaller surface area promoting more consistent engagement and unobstructed grappling (i.e. not influenced by a cage to mash opponants or to assist in wall-walking to get up) with occasional restarts to the centre, over wall-and-stall all day and twice on Sunday.

I've been a fan since inception in North America and I'll take a ring any day.

90IDmXc.png

Prior to Bushido, Pride had a separate format that used an 8 sided ring and it mainly featured lower level fighters. They started it in 2002, and ended it in 2002, deciding that the Bushido format was better. It was called Pride The Best Vol 1, 2, and 3.

Rounds were 2 x 5 minutes

Mods, these have been on youtube for several years. I guess the UFC doesn't really care, as they weren't really popular and the ended discontinuing the series. They were kind of quazi pride events

Takase and Joe Son both fought on this card

Overeem fought on Vol 2
images

Random pictures
hqdefault.jpg

What if modern MMA used something similar? You get the dimensions of a cage, but you can only use wall tactics in the corners. The cage fence makes it hard to see if you are in the arena. They also had the platform beyond the ropes so you couldn't fall out of the ring due to takedown or KO.

When I think "Cage fighter" the first thing that pops up in my head is a dude with a tapout shirt. Thank god that trend mainly disappeared. Still we have a stupid relic left over from the old school days. I am okay with having a relatively round ring, but the cage is just cringey.

#pridewasbetter

I'll take hard angles to promote cornering striking exchanges, a smaller surface area promoting more consistent engagement and unobstructed grappling (i.e. not influenced by a cage to mash opponants or to assist in wall-walking to get up) with occasional restarts to the centre, over wall-and-stall all day and twice on Sunday.

I've been a fan since inception in North America and I'll take a ring any day.

The problem is that the UFC knows it's biggest prospect pool is amateur wrestling. They know those guys have nowhere else to go. And they wouldn't want to do anything to discourage or even handicap that base. Like more weight classes to reduce the cutting nonsense.

Also, what would the guys on TUF wear around the house?

61kC6s9a3uL._SY463_.jpg

<Y2JSmirk>

Back