Did You Know Pride Used An 8 Sided Ring For 3 Events?

90IDmXc.png

Prior to Bushido, Pride had a separate format that used an 8 sided ring and it mainly featured lower level fighters. They started it in 2002, and ended it in 2002, deciding that the Bushido format was better. It was called Pride The Best Vol 1, 2, and 3.

Mods, these have been on youtube for several years. I guess the UFC doesn't really care, as they weren't really popular and the ended discontinuing the series. They were kind of quazi pride events

Takase and Joe Son both fought on this card

Overeem fought on Vol 2
images

Random pictures
hqdefault.jpg

What if modern MMA used something similar? You get the dimensions of a cage, but you can only use wall tactics in the corners. The cage fence makes it hard to see if you are in the arena. They also had the platform beyond the ropes so you couldn't fall out of the ring due to takedown or KO.

When I think "Cage fighter" the first thing that pops up in my head is a dude with a tapout shirt. Thank god that trend mainly disappeared. Still we have a stupid relic left over from the old school days. I am okay with having a relatively round ring, but the cage is just cringey.

#pridewasbetter

Where do I get DVD's of these ? I have all the Pride DVD's except ShockWave 2002 and these 3 .

i remember an event that had a half cage half ring for the fights

Ring > cage.
The ring even makes it looks like a sport, and the cage only benefits the wrestlers.

The Khabib vs Thibau [sad] Affair:

3 Rounds, 15 mns...4mn48 of pure Wall&Stall...
7 Wall&Stall situations, but only 2 Yamazaki´s interferences...

View attachment 457803
Yeah man, I don't really complain about most styles as they all have there beauty even if they can be boring at times but wall and stall is the exception. It's incredibly boring and knees to the legs or body while clinching tightly and battling for underhooks for minutes on end is boring as fuck and rarely results in anything of substance. Just terrible.

The ring is the dumbest thing I've seen for MMA. Have you cans ever rolled before? You go everywhere. Rolling into other people is how GSP got his knee wrecked.

A ring is not fit for MMA. The less you need to involve a ref the better.

I always do a google search on that hot chick whenever I see your posts (or maybe a couple people have the same AV).

The ring is the dumbest thing I've seen for MMA. Have you cans ever rolled before? You go everywhere. Rolling into other people is how GSP got his knee wrecked.

A ring is not fit for MMA. The less you need to involve a ref the better.
The fence has become too much of a [sad] 'technical' evolution.

Here is a full recap of the first Event:

...pretty good to watch and listen to

Where do I get DVD's of these ? I have all the Pride DVD's except ShockWave 2002 and these 3 .
I think of the Best of Shows, there are only japanese versions of it...

Shockwave 2002...i don't know...

No never herd of them. Clicking around in the videos that don't look too good either. Were any of the events any good?

No never herd of them. Clicking around in the videos that don't look too good either. Were any of the events any good?

They had some good fights here and there, but overall it was a flop. Still a fun piece of history.

Better or worse than constant cage grabs?

I prefer a ring.

You're just replacing cage grabs with ring grabs. Doesn't solve the problem and adds new ones.

The issue isn't the cage, it's the refereeing. Any cage grab should result in a successful takedown, the fight gets restarted with the offender on his back. That would solve it real quick.

Back