Did you find the Carmont fight boring?

I was surprised by Carmont's wrestling, but it wasn't very entertaining.

I thought it was really boring tbh. Between this and the Larkin robbery I'm not tuning in to see Carmont anytime soon unless he gets outmatched and KOed or soemthing.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't mind GSP as much. Sure his fights look a little similar to Carmont last night but guys like Condit and Diaz are in a different league than Costa. Controlling those guys is more impressive and more nerve racking because they can finish the fight at any time.

I did not see the fight yet but I generally feel that Carmont is one of the worst fighters to watch in all of the UFC. To the point about "dominating a top 10 fighter," Costa is only a top 10 fighter because Boetsch injured himself in their fight. When Boetsch was still healthy in the 1st round, Tim took the round pretty easily. To anyone watching, it was plain as day that Tim was screwed after he hurt his hand. Costa didn't deserve the ranking that the win got him anymore than the "wins" Carmont has over Lawlor and Larkin.

Don' forget the eye poke, it seemed like Tim couldn't really judge the distance too well after that and all his shots were done from far out afterwards.

It was helluva more entertaining than the Ricci fight

It wasn't a fight I'd watch again, but not one that I fell asleep watching

I'm not gonna lie, I fast forwarded the third round. Didn't feel like watching him fight any longer. The rest of the main card was awesome.

Boring fight. I guess i'm not a true fan of MMA, huh?
Not saying Carmont wasn't impressive, I thought Costa would win.

Some fights on the ground are good to watch - Munoz, Condit and Fedor come to mind. Some fights on the ground are boring to watch - Fitch, St Pierre, and now Carmont.\

Some will bash me for being a just bleed fan, but this is a fight. Think about the meaning it implies. Two or more people trying to fuck each other up. There has to be pain for us to enjoy it. Look at Silva vs Stann - wild swings and no ground game, but a THRILLING fight.
An fighter seeking to control and neutralize opponent offense without even attempting to earn a finish is, in my eyes, leaning more towards an athlete than a fighter.

Don't get me wrong, grappling will fuck people up, and Carmont did show good grappling, but at this competitive level one man's grappling is often close to another's.

If I wanted to watch grappling and control I would tune in to the Mundials, ADCC or Metamoris.

Wasn't as bad as Dana made out. There were 2 more boring fights on the card.

I'd say more disappointing. Well yeah, it was boring too!

I certainly don't mind grappling and don't find it boring when we see submission attempts or significant GnP. The blame isn't entirely on Carmount (CP did a pretty good job of keeping him from really gaining positions that submissions can be attempted, for the most part). But there was nothing all that exciting. I never felt like CP was close to getting finished. Maybe some really experienced, savy BJJ guys could explain why that isn't the case.

It was a Fitch-like performance - no threat of a stoppage, or really any damage... but clear grappling domination.

Not my favorite fights to watch but to make it in the UFC you need an answer for those guys.

It was impressive but it was not exciting. When I buy PPV I want excitement, so I did not like that fight.

Some fights on the ground are good to watch - Munoz, Condit and Fedor come to mind. Some fights on the ground are boring to watch - Fitch, St Pierre, and now Carmont.\

Some will bash me for being a just bleed fan, but this is a fight. Think about the meaning it implies. Two or more people trying to fuck each other up. There has to be pain for us to enjoy it. Look at Silva vs Stann - wild swings and no ground game, but a THRILLING fight.
An fighter seeking to control and neutralize opponent offense without even attempting to earn a finish is, in my eyes, leaning more towards an athlete than a fighter.

Don't get me wrong, grappling will fuck people up, and Carmont did show good grappling, but at this competitive level one man's grappling is often close to another's.

If I wanted to watch grappling and control I would tune in to the Mundials, ADCC or Metamoris.

Well said. Just because you're tuned in to the emotional aspects of the game doesn't make you a "just bleed" fan. I think I makes you less in denial of what this sport was originally about.

... it was less awful than the Larkin and Lawlor fights, so I guess there's that.

Honestly though, I'm not going to fault Carmont for his performance. He dominated, so it was Costa's fault for not being able to do anything. It was boring, but it's the nature of the game. There's a lot of reasons to not like Carmont, but that last fight wasn't one of them.

It was helluva more entertaining than the Ricci fight

Haha, this should be an exaggeration, but the sad thing is that it's true. Jury and Ricci man, that wasn't even a fight.

I did not see the fight yet but I generally feel that Carmont is one of the worst fighters to watch in all of the UFC. To the point about "dominating a top 10 fighter," Costa is only a top 10 fighter because Boetsch injured himself in their fight. When Boetsch was still healthy in the 1st round, Tim took the round pretty easily. To anyone watching, it was plain as day that Tim was screwed after he hurt his hand. Costa didn't deserve the ranking that the win got him anymore than the "wins" Carmont has over Lawlor and Larkin.

To be fair, Costa didn't get handed a ranking for beating Boetsch... he got his ranking by beating Tim in his 5th consecutive win in the UFC.

LW & WW are so stacked its possible to put 5 wins together and not get ranked, but by inertia alone that makes you top 10 in every other division. MMA history works this way - he fought a ranked fighter, while on a streak, and came up with a W.

He's an incomplete fighter compared to some of his peers, but I think he's legitimately a fringe top 10 guy. Carmont is likely to give lots of guys problems so I'm not writing Costa off yet. Let's see how he bounces back.

Dana said he fell asleep...

I found it a really good fight in which Carmont dominated a very strong opponent. There was no finish but Carmont fought a technically brilliant fight and there was action all the time: no circling around, no pushing against the fence etc. Very strong and dominating performance by Carmont.

So what's wrong with Dana? Or is it my perception that is off?

It was a boring fight. No excitement , he jus took him down an held for 3 round basically lol.

I had to switch from beer to coffee during this fight.....

I watched the first 2 minutes of it, then stopped to do another thing, so I don't really have an opinion.

Performance was good, but I didn't find the fight exciting. Same with GSP fights, his technique is very beautiful and I admire him, but excitement level is near zero because most of the time you know what will happen, there are no surprises really. (Well, except the Condit head kick)

Dana is wrong, it wasn't a bad fight. Carmont could have worked harder for gnp or a sub I guess, but he still beat a solid top 10 guy and put on a technical display.

Back