Did you consider the WEC a regional promotion?

StewDogg11

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
There was some person on here who said that the WEC was a lowly regional promotion. I explained to them that they held events all over the United States and even in foreign countries which by definition isn’t “regional”. I then explained that they were owned by Zuffa and that their Bantamweight (Dominick Cruz) and Featherweight (Jose Aldo) champions automatically became UFC champions upon the merger. Two of their Lightweights (Benson Henderson & Anthony Pettis) also became UFC champions while Donald Cerrone was a title contender.

None of this made him change his stance that the WEC was a lowly regional promotion. So do you think the WEC was a regional promotion?

So do you think the WEC was a regional promotion?

After the Zuffa buyout and the TV deal they were typically the 3rd or 4th biggest org at any given time. They had international talent with most of the top 10 guys from 2 weight classes. They were broadcast in HD (which was a big deal then). They weren't being used as a farm program until the merger. And they consistently held cards thoughout.

There's no argument for them being a regional promotion. It's a completely ignorant argument and your friend probably just doesn't want to admit he's wrong.

Didn't Aldo,Bendo and Urijah come from there? So I wouldn't say so. Its on a notch below Bellator and the UFC but above promotions like Titan FC. I think its in the caliber of Cage Warriors?

WEC holds a special place in my heart. Some what worried when UFC bought them, but it was handled pretty well to be fair and the champs/stars from the WEC went on to do well in the UFC (Torres excepted)

I always thought it started out as regional promotion based out of California that grew into a major over time, especially for the lighter weight classes?

Love WEC i am sure it started as a regional promotion but grew to be much more and had incredible talent. mainly in the lower classes. hard to believe there are still a few WEC guys kicking around.

Dustin Poirier
Rani Yahya
Dom Cruz - Commentator

WEC Never Die

Wec_logo.jpg

Love WEC i am sure it started as a regional promotion but grew to be much more and had incredible talent. mainly in the lower classes. hard to believe there are still a few WEC guys kicking around.

Dustin Poirier
Rani Yahya
Dom Cruz - Commentator

WEC Never Die

Wec_logo.jpg

Back when Brittney Palmer looked like a human and not a wax figure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vapor Snake