Did Scott Coker Just Get Lucky w Strikeforce?

I had no idea how Bellator was actually doing and so I took 60 seconds to google it

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/2/6/20893601/an-in-depth-look-at-bellators-finances

this was the best article I found:

1. Revenue and profitability have significantly increased since Coker took over in mid 2014

2. Rating were steady for the first 3.5 years of Coker but have declined significantly since then (but with revenue increasing)

3. Profit numbers are heavily dependent on Vaicom internal pricing vs arms length market and might not mean much

4. estimates for large revenue growth in 2019 and 2020 seems to have been based largely on the DAZN contract which, I think, is ending in 2020 after only 2 years

5. Bellator pays 40-50% of revenue to fighters

Personally, I seldom watch Bellator. But I don't see why judging Coker's success as a promoter should be based on what I watch.

Seems to me that he executed a successful grow and sell strategy with StrikeForce.

He then stabilized Bellator's business and grew revenue significantly while paying fighters a lot more (as a %) than the UFC. His biggest success looked to be the DAZN deal and now Bellator is once again as a strategic crossroads in terms of distribution

The success of Strikeforce is built off the failure of Elite XC and Shaw. Coker was just the wrong guy and the right time and was able to hold on till the Zuffa buyout. Strikeforce wouldnt have been able to put on the shows they did without co-promoting with Elite XC

They did have a number of other decent to great fighters outside of the eliteXC pickups. Overeem (though he didn't fight often), Cormier, Woodley, King Mo, Mayhem, Hendo, Rockhold, Jacare, Cung Le... those are just off the top of my head. Some they signed, a few they actually employed through their developing years.

I am starting to think he just got lucky fuck Bellator sucks so much, it's actually amazing how constantly boring it is
Strikeforce inherited a pretty good roster with the purchase of Elite XC. They also had a decent roster themselves. At the time Pride had only recently been sold and the UFC didn't get all of their fighters. So there was quality free agents on the market. Strikeforce was also able to get guys like HENDO to jump ship and come over. Plus the signing of Fedor was huge at the time. They also developed a lot of talent with their Challenger series. Bellator for the most part is run the same way Strikeforce was. The difference now is there's more MMA available. The UFC runs shows almost every week it seems like. Plus you have all the smaller promotions running shows as well. Major over saturation to what things were 10 plus years ago. The talent is spread out all over the world. The UFC has done a great job of convincing the casuals that nothing a fighter accomplishes means anything unless they do it in the UFC. WWE model to a T.

Yeah they would no problem lol I remember idiots like you said SF wouldn’t even have 1 fighter that can win in UFC. Now look at you bringing up SF like you knew all along. You’re repeating the same pattern. Wake up.
Actually I never said that. I always said SF had a way stronger HW division and great fighters. SF undeniably had better fighters than Bellator and its not close. SF benefited from Pride and Elite XC shutting down. They had some great home grown fighters too, but of the 7 UFC champs they had, 4 were picked up from Elite XC/Pride shutting down. There is no big org shutting down that Bellator picked up the talent from. You are delusional to KNOW they would have 7 UFC champs. You can't even name the 7 fighters you KNOW woudd be UFC champs.

Scott Coker had DC, Rockhold, Jacare, Mousasi, Tim Kennedy, TWood, and probably other guys I can't think of, who went on to be solid.

Scott Coker should thank god every evening that someone is willing to pay his bills. He is by far the worst promoter I ever saw in both MMA and boxing. I actually haven't seen him promoting anything, ever. His matchmaking is terrible too and his scouting team speaks for itself.

i agree, the guy is shit

Really? Maybe the top 2 or 3 in most divisions would end up in the top 15 of UFC, but most of these guys and girls look barely above regional level. Also it feels like you're watching a sparring match I'd say 80% of the time in Bellator.

Just playing devils advocate here but every current ufc champ was at a regional level at one point. Can't count people out until the opportunity arises

Actually I never said that. I always said SF had a way stronger HW division and great fighters. SF undeniably had better fighters than Bellator and its not close. SF benefited from Pride and Elite XC shutting down. They had some great home grown fighters too, but of the 7 UFC champs they had, 4 were picked up from Elite XC/Pride shutting down. There is no big org shutting down that Bellator picked up the talent from. You are delusional to KNOW they would have 7 UFC champs. You can't even name the 7 fighters you KNOW woudd be UFC champs.
Lol why would I list a bunch of guys who you don’t know about who could be UFC champ in 5-8 years? Just watch Bellator and you’d know. Just like with SF. You’re a casual

Just playing devils advocate here but every current ufc champ was at a regional level at one point. Can't count people out until the opportunity arises
For sure, and hell, I enjoy watching fights so I'm not gonna shit on people for doing something I'd never have the stones to do, but the difference in hunger is apparent at least from the fights I've watched. Like UFC prelims sometimes have some sloppy strikers or slow footed grapplers but a lot of the times they're at least trying to look for finishes. Bellator cards often seem like they're all fighting with the finishing intent of WMMA fighters.

SF had what? 7 fighters who won a belt in the UFC

more than 7

Weidman
Cyborg
Vitor*
Rousey
Tate
Rockhold
Woodley
Lawler
Cormier
Werdum
Cain V
Barnett*
Nunes
Henderson*
GDR

i feel like im missing someone.

Last edited:
I am starting to think he just got lucky fuck Bellator sucks so much, it's actually amazing how constantly boring it is
UFC bought out the other A league promotions. Pride, Strikeforce, Wec... Bellator has tried, and they actually have some decent fighters. They just can’t get it right. I quit watching except for big fights years ago.

Um no he built it from the ground up. Makes me sick through that he sold his soul (his baby) to the Devil (Dana)

dana-long-camera.gif

:eek:

Last edited:
For sure, and hell, I enjoy watching fights so I'm not gonna shit on people for doing something I'd never have the stones to do, but the difference in hunger is apparent at least from the fights I've watched. Like UFC prelims sometimes have some sloppy strikers or slow footed grapplers but a lot of the times they're at least trying to look for finishes. Bellator cards often seem like they're all fighting with the finishing intent of WMMA fighters.

I definitely agree there with everything you said. There's definitely more of a sense of urgency in the lower rankings of the UFC as opposed to bellator.

I just feel like maybe some of those guys may perform differently under the pressure of fighting under the UFC banner. Some may not rise to the occasion whereas others it could potentially light a fire under them and cause them to excel. Granted this is all hypothetical unless it were to actually happen.

Coker is nothing more than a front man for Viacom.

He doesnt have anywhere near the power you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back