Did Nike see this coming?

RiotWyatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Jones said they didn't stop sponsoring him because of the brawl but rather because they didn't want anything to do with MMA anymore.

Was that the real reason?

They saw the BONES NOSE joke months ahead of us.

They could smell the shitstorm coming

no, Nike thought mma could become big and ride the wave but had shitty returns from their investments in it. Nike's mma gear couldnt even match the sales of gutter brands like Tapout, Bad Boy and Hayabusa.

Yeah, Jones totally told Nike about his problem 5-6 months ago and they dropped him because of it, making up a lie to preserve the fighter's legacy for the time being.

Of course Nike disassociated themselves with Jones as soon as the found out about the coke. What's stupid is that he really did not even try hard to hide it ( such as partying around people in public ). It was plain bad for their image.
This guy is on a path to self-destruct. It's ironic as no one else can beat him.

nike prob got jones on the stuff in the 1st place.

Nike sponsors Johnny Manziel, don't they? This had to do with Jon just not being worth the money, in all likelihood.

I was wondering about this, too. Considering that NSAC can apparently opt to not disclose the results of drug tests indefinitely (1 month+ between the positive test and Jones' announcement), I wouldn't doubt that Nike's contract with Jones contained a stipulation that test results would have to be disclosed immediately and could be considered grounds for termination.

Nike executives are no chumps. They deal with young, multi-millionaire, party animals on the reg. I'm betting they've all sorts of contractual hedges to protect against shit-storms like this. To me, this now looks like the most likely reason Nike dropped Jones. And since Nike probably would be reluctant to come out and say, "Yep, we sponsored a cocaine addict," they never contradicted Jones' "it was a mutual breakup" nonsense.

Of course Nike disassociated themselves with Jones as soon as the found out about the coke. What's stupid is that he really did not even try hard to hide it ( such as partying around people in public ). It was plain bad for their image.
This guy is on a path to self-destruct. It's ironic as no one else can beat him.

That he will self destruct is only wishful pathetic hoping.

What is self destruction?

Lack of focus, Motivation, career growth, declining finances , all of these.

That Jones is doing great in these is an understatement.

The guy has it under control just like everything else in his life.
It's not a good habit but people can get away with recreational drug use if they have some discipline and no one had better discipline than Jones.

This also explains his success with DC.

The guy has it under control just like everything else in his life.

Bizarre (and obviously biased) sentiment, considering he is entering drug rehab for a cocaine addiction. A paragon of control, he is. :rolleyes:

People don't think NIKE investigates their athletes after the whole Armstrong thing?

i'd say it's more likely people in the industry were aware of the upcoming reebok exclusive deal and they knew they would soon not be able to get their brand in the octagon anymore and would therefore be wasting money sponsoring jones

Bizarre (and obviously biased) sentiment, considering he is entering drug rehab for a cocaine addiction. A paragon of control, he is. :rolleyes:

The rehab is just to make a pc statement after the fact.

Do you think any ' addict' can be successful like he has been?

Also it's come out now from the nsac that he shouldn't have been tested for that in the first place. He has grounds to sue.

Make an effort to understand the situation instead of just looking at what you want to see.

Nike sponsors Johnny Manziel, don't they? This had to do with Jon just not being worth the money, in all likelihood.

lets be real, even mma's biggest star right now cannot hold a candle to an "almost-a-starter-almost-not-a-first-round-draft" average NFL player.

Nike is too big for mma; hence, Reebok.

Jones must have urked them the wrong way. Actually what TS said was true from what Jones said but actually what Jones said was a lie which is even more interesting.

http://tiny.cc/7vz3rx

Nike and Jones were ending their relationship down the road before the brawl happened, and when it did it sped up the process. Jones complained the reason they were was because he was told they have more marketing of him (commercials, apparel, etc.) They never did, they may have seen Jones going down a bad road for business.

Back