Did Khabib-Gaethje Change Your Opinion On How A Rematch With Tony Would Go ?

Khabib was always going to smash Tony in his guard pushed up against the fence

Not particularly. Tony isn't a good wrestler, and he TRIED to pressure Gaethje, but his defense isn't on the same level as Khabib's so he paid for it every single time he tried to pressure Justin.

No, because those are two completely different fighters lol

Tony got taken down by Kevin Lee, there are levels to this.

Reactions: mkt
Yea it did, tbh.
Gaetjhe coming out of the Tony fight was treated by most here as Khabib's toughest matchup and it turned out to be Khabib's easiest fight.
As a result of that, Khabib legit became the greatest LW champ in the history of the UFC and one of the P4P greats.
Tony vs Khabib most likely ends with Tony getting pinned, taken to the ground, beaten, and eventually submitted since Tony probably would expect Khabib to be just another opponent only to figure out too late that Khabib is something else entirely.

Tony gets smeshed. I want to see if the damage from the Gaethje fight has taken its toll in his next fight. If he wins impressively, then maybe I'll give him more of a shot.

Yes and no. I think if Tony tried to take Justin down in a rematch he could do it. Unfortunately I also think Tony has terrible fight IQ, so I would expect him to stand with Justin again.

No relation in Khabib/Ferguson, Gaethje puts him away just the same, or worst.

Gaethje still has great TDD, its just not enough to keep off guys like Khabib or Islam.

You do realize Tony doesn’t have half the strength Khabib does, right? When Khabib pins you down it’s game over. When Tony pins you down... oh wait, he does not.

Not particularly. Tony isn't a good wrestler, and he TRIED to pressure Gaethje, but his defense isn't on the same level as Khabib's so he paid for it every single time he tried to pressure Justin.
Khabib paid for it one or two times but he just kept going.. Whereas Tony stopped in his tracks and let Justin settle

Tony was always overrated. He's been dropped in almost every major fight he's had, and relied on his opponents gassing by beating him up.

No.. I always believed Tony's chances Vs Khabib were overrated..

Do people really believe that Khabib would just sit in Tony's guard to allow him to utilise his submission or elbow game off his back..

Gaethje was the harder matchup stylistically.. and we saw how that went.

Gaethje still has great TDD, its just not enough to keep off guys like Khabib or Islam.
Islam isn't exactly like Khabib though, Khabib is far more aggressive with takedowns, while Islam is a little more defensive, and he risks his TDD to get a better positions in striking, since he has confidence in his TDD. His TDD percentage one of the highest in history, %93, iirc, only Tibau had this high percentage. Islam is more like counter attack defensive striker / wrestler, while Khabib is very aggressive and offensive wrestler with a very good jab.

I think Khamzat is more like Khabib, more aggressive wrestler who shoots takedowns more.

Back