Did Khabib-Gaethje Change Your Opinion On How A Rematch With Tony Would Go ?

Yea it did, tbh.
Gaetjhe coming out of the Tony fight was treated by most here as Khabib's toughest matchup and it turned out to be Khabib's easiest fight.
As a result of that, Khabib legit became the greatest LW champ in the history of the UFC and one of the P4P greats.
Tony vs Khabib most likely ends with Tony getting pinned, taken to the ground, beaten, and eventually submitted since Tony probably would expect Khabib to be just another opponent only to figure out too late that Khabib is something else entirely.

I doubt Tony would get subbed. Styles make fights and Tony has a MUCH better BJJ game than Gaethje. But he lacks Khabib's wrestling to get Justin to the ground where he could beat him. I see Tony most like surviving (but taking a beating) with Khabib. It's possible he could get TKO's late in the fight, but he lasts longer than Justin did.

I doubt Tony would get subbed. Styles make fights and Tony has a MUCH better BJJ game than Gaethje. But he lacks Khabib's wrestling to get Justin to the ground where he could beat him. I see Tony most like surviving (but taking a beating) with Khabib. It's possible he could get TKO's late in the fight, but he lasts longer than Justin did.
Lasting longer doesn't mean more competitive fight, Al Iaquinta survived 5 rounds, he got beat in every one of them, none of the rounds were close. Tony would be no different even if he survives 5.
Gaethje at least give Khabib a very good 1 round, arguably a very close one.

Even if Tony's BJJ skills are strong enough that he can stave off subs, he is still going to have a hard time rolling on the ground with him because of the speed of his transitions from one position to another on the ground, and Khabib can still GnP Tony for a lengthy period of time for dominant round wins, unless Tony starts pulling off crafty shit and starts elbowing him back on the bottom position or something.

I don't think Tony's ground game and BJJ are strong enough that Khabib is forced to keep standing in that match though, something that Werdum was able to present against Cain.

Regardless of Gaethje fight, I always see Khabib submits Tony with choke or Kimura.

Gaethje still has great TDD, its just not enough to keep off guys like Khabib or Islam.
Islam is "guilty" by association with Khabib's team. Let him earn his stripes now that Khabib gave him a chance to do it. Let's see him fight top 2-3 dawgs before crowning his grappling/striking. So hold your horses bro.

No. Justin would pummel him again.

Back