• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Did Huxley and Orwell get it right as far as the future goes?

squeezewax

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I've tried reading 1984, and Brave New World, a number of times but i found both hard going. I've seen the film based on 1984 a few times, and i've listened to audiobooks of both novels over the years. So i'm no expert on either.
I'm hoping there are people here who are much more familiar with them.

I have read that both were asked in interviews what they thought was in store for Western society. Apparently both said that democracy/freedom wouldn't last very long at all. That it would be replaced with Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism.

I'm no history expert so my question is, how long has democracy been around? I always think of it as a mid-twentieth century thing? However, has it made appearances occasionally throughout human history at all?
Was the Greek Empire a democracy? If it was, was it quite different to what he call democracy these days?
Hasn't the human race lived in political systems or under royalty most of the time, and basically struggled in a shitty existence?

https://www.learning-mind.com/mental-slavery-orwell-huxley/
Excerpts from the link.

'In 1984, we see a gloomy world of the Party’s ruthless dictatorship that keeps everyone in fear. Orwell’s society doesn’t only suppress the freedom of speech – it suppresses the freedom of thought and the individuality itself.

Methods of terror such as absurd war propaganda and total surveillance kill the tiniest seed of critical thought in people’s minds. Those who are still capable of some extent of critical thinking are persecuted and eventually destroyed by the Thought Police.

No one is safe – in this totalitarian society, people report their neighbors and co-workers for unorthodox behavior to the authorities as easily as children report their own parents.'

'Brave New World describes a society that is similar to ours in so many ways. It is built on mindless consumerism and superficial desires for endless fun and casual sex.

There is no concept of family, relationship, or love – ‘everyone belongs to everyone else’, meaning that there are no commitments or attachments between people.

Not only are family and emotional bonds non-existent, but the very idea of such connections between human beings is considered inappropriate and shameful.

Here, the freedom of thought is abolished in a different way than in 1984 – by feeding people with the illusion of global happiness and abundance. There is a variety of foods to eat, goods to buy, and fun things to fill your free time with.

Who could possibly be unhappy in such a society?'

From what i've read recently, a lot of people seem to think that Huxley's vision of the future is more likely to become a reality.

Douglas Murray in an interview said look at China. People can have a decent life as long as they don't criticize the regime. They can enjoy the latest technology, work hard and become rich, just turn a blind eye to certain things, don't protest, and end up with a 'good' life.
He was comparing life in China with what people had to put up with living in the old Soviet Union.

People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think. - Huxley.

There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it. - Huxley.
The legalization of Cannabis, the call by some to legalize all drugs in the 21st century.

The victim of mind-manipulation does not know that he is a victim. To him, the walls of his prison are invisible, and he believes himself to be free. - Huxley.

The following seems most apt at the moment in America concerning the idea of reprogramming conservatives being floated around.
The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human. - Huxley.

I've tried reading 1984, and Brave New World, a number of times but i found both hard going. I've seen the film based on 1984 a few times, and i've listened to audiobooks of both novels over the years. So i'm no expert on either.
I'm hoping there are people here who are much more familiar with them.

I have read that both were asked in interviews what they thought was in store for Western society. Apparently both said that democracy/freedom wouldn't last very long at all. That it would be replaced with Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism.

I'm no history expert so my question is, how long has democracy been around? I always think of it as a mid-twentieth century thing? However, has it made appearances occasionally throughout human history at all?
Was the Greek Empire a democracy? If it was, was it quite different to what he call democracy these days?
Hasn't the human race lived in political systems or under royalty most of the time, and basically struggled in a shitty existence?

https://www.learning-mind.com/mental-slavery-orwell-huxley/
Excerpts from the link.

'In 1984, we see a gloomy world of the Party’s ruthless dictatorship that keeps everyone in fear. Orwell’s society doesn’t only suppress the freedom of speech – it suppresses the freedom of thought and the individuality itself.

Methods of terror such as absurd war propaganda and total surveillance kill the tiniest seed of critical thought in people’s minds. Those who are still capable of some extent of critical thinking are persecuted and eventually destroyed by the Thought Police.

No one is safe – in this totalitarian society, people report their neighbors and co-workers for unorthodox behavior to the authorities as easily as children report their own parents.'

'Brave New World describes a society that is similar to ours in so many ways. It is built on mindless consumerism and superficial desires for endless fun and casual sex.

There is no concept of family, relationship, or love – ‘everyone belongs to everyone else’, meaning that there are no commitments or attachments between people.

Not only are family and emotional bonds non-existent, but the very idea of such connections between human beings is considered inappropriate and shameful.

Here, the freedom of thought is abolished in a different way than in 1984 – by feeding people with the illusion of global happiness and abundance. There is a variety of foods to eat, goods to buy, and fun things to fill your free time with.

Who could possibly be unhappy in such a society?'

From what i've read recently, a lot of people seem to think that Huxley's vision of the future is more likely to become a reality.

Douglas Murray in an interview said look at China. People can have a decent life as long as they don't criticize the regime. They can enjoy the latest technology, work hard and become rich, just turn a blind eye to certain things, don't protest, and end up with a 'good' life.
He was comparing life in China with what people had to put up with living in the old Soviet Union.

People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think. - Huxley.

There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it. - Huxley.
The legalization of Cannabis, the call by some to legalize all drugs in the 21st century.

The victim of mind-manipulation does not know that he is a victim. To him, the walls of his prison are invisible, and he believes himself to be free. - Huxley.

The following seems most apt at the moment in America concerning the idea of reprogramming conservatives being floated around.
The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human. - Huxley.

1984 had an extra chapter later that hinted that the party lost in the end.

Not sure if intentional or not but its a popular theory on internet lol

I dont think China is a good example largely because of the family stuff you mentioned. Chinese culture is very family and community oriented.

In the USA we have much weaker family bonds than any Asian country I have been to, in my opinion because of our cultural individualism.

’You are free to be a drunkard, an idler, a coward, a backbiter, a fornicator; but you are not free to think for yourself.’

‘Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen.’

‘A society becomes totalitarian when its structure becomes flagrantly artificial: that is when its ruling class has lost its function but succeeds in clinging to power by force or fraud.’

‘The really frightening thing about totalitarianism is not that it commits ‘atrocities’ but that it attacks the concept of objective truth; it claims to control the past as well as the future.’

‘You just got to say to yourself, “I’m a free man in here” – he tapped his forehead – “and you’re all right”.’

It's pretty clear that's where we're headed. Each small authoritarian bill or new law passed that infringes on personal freedom brings us one step closer to absolute totalitarianism. The ability of social media and television to spread propaganda is powerful enough to convince people to accept each small step. The problem is humans, just look back throughout history and see how often totalitarian cultures popped up. The poor were always used to earn more wealth for the richest people in the world. It's not like anything has changed. We're still human and we're just like any civilization before us, extremely prone to greed.

If you don’t want to read but want to hear similar banter listen to the DTFH and Russel Brand podcasts with guest Douglas Rushkoff

I can't comment on Brave New World as I don't remember the the book very well for some reason.

As far as 1984 is concerned, I loved that book and all of Orwell's works, and honestly think that his warnings seem prescient in today's climate.

Try getting a permit to get work done on your property. I can understand the value of ensuring that you don't hit power lines, and also the value in ensuring that your building meets code, but having to pay money to some bureaucracy to erect a fence well within the boundaries of your land seems idiotic.

The public school system is becoming less of a beacon of standardized learning and development and more of an indoctrination center for PC group think. Almost ten years ago; I asked a child that attended First grade in a local Elementary School how their school day went and what they learned. Their answer was that the teacher told them that "Guns are bad". Awesome. No critical thinking to help discern between a tool and it's possible uses. Simply spout your opinion that an inanimate object is bad and indoctrinate the children to your way of thinking.

Last edited:
Although it is quoted far less I feel that Huxley's is the more prescient vision for us in the West , if you can't stick the books there is a good BNW vs 1984 debate on the Intelligence Squared Youtube channel .
We are far closer to Huxleys subtle suppine stratified consumer society ready and willing to self anesthetize any unhappy thoughts or minor discomfort away , than to Orwells more obvious totalitarian nightmare .

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that's where we're headed. Each small authoritarian bill or new law passed that infringes on personal freedom brings us one step closer to absolute totalitarianism. The ability of social media and television to spread propaganda is powerful enough to convince people to accept each small step. The problem is humans, just look back throughout history and see how often totalitarian cultures popped up. The poor were always used to earn more wealth for the richest people in the world. It's not like anything has changed. We're still human and we're just like any civilization before us, extremely prone to greed.
America has only recently had freedom for non-white people and women. Europe is just recently free of the USSR. We're more free than ever before and getting freer all the time.

People seem to be way more willing to give up personal freedom for a tiny amount of extra perceived safety.

People are already condemning others for “wrong think / wrong speak”.

Big information channels are being regulated in an extremely biased way.

The technology and methods for mass surveillance have definitely reached sufficient levels.

All in all, we’re definitely closer than we were when those books were written.

The answer is yes.

We live in this wierd dystopia where both are simulaniously true, despite being in dichotomy with each other. We live in a world with both a dearth truth and plethora of truth, in which we are directly fed macro-level falsehoods (Iraq war) and are bombarded with micro-level facts (social media) that distort how we, as a society, process the information fed to us.

For example, Trump's win is directly related to Brexit, which is directly related to the terrorism earlier this decade, which is directly related to the Iraq war.

If anyone has ever read the DC Comics Transmetropolitan from the 90's by Warren Ellis, it is crazy how spot on it was for the social change that has happened since the turn of the millenium.

’You are free to be a drunkard, an idler, a coward, a backbiter, a fornicator; but you are not free to think for yourself.’

‘Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen.’

‘A society becomes totalitarian when its structure becomes flagrantly artificial: that is when its ruling class has lost its function but succeeds in clinging to power by force or fraud.’

‘The really frightening thing about totalitarianism is not that it commits ‘atrocities’ but that it attacks the concept of objective truth; it claims to control the past as well as the future.’

‘You just got to say to yourself, “I’m a free man in here” – he tapped his forehead – “and you’re all right”.’
Honestly there are a few people that had true clarity and this is clearly a case of clarity

America has only recently had freedom for non-white people and women. Europe is just recently free of the USSR. We're more free than ever before and getting freer all the time.
Being allowed to vote doesn't mean you are free. It's funny how it can be misunderstood like that. I'm talking about the never-ending authoritarian movement. So what if you can vote, the Nazi's came into power by being voted in. The growth in propaganda, censorship and authoritarian 'fact-checking' has made us more vulnerable than ever from losing our freedoms. Each year another law is passed which gives more power to the wealthiest people in the world and less freedom for the majority. This is a consistent and progressive movement and I just don't know where it will stop. The wealthiest people in the world have more influence on politics than ordinary people even though ordinary people are the vast majority.

I can't comment on Brave New World as I don't remember the the book very well for some reason.

As far as 1984 is concerned, I loved that book and all of Orwell's works, and honestly think that his warnings seem prescient in today's climate.

Try getting a permit to get work done on your property. I can understand the value of ensuring that you don't hit power lines, and also the value in ensuring that your building meets code, but having to pay money to some beau acracy to erect a fence well within the boundaries of your land seems idiotic.
Freedom has advanced to black people getting the right to drink out of water fountains now, and you think society is turning into 1984 because you had to get a permit to put up a fence around your house.<45>
The public school system is becoming less of a beacon of standardized learning and development and more of an indoctrination center for PC group think.
Schools used to ban black people and we actually had a "Motion Picture Promotion Code" and McCarthyism, and now they only tolerate one group's opinions. You have to do a "pledge of allegiance" every morning, and now they're indoctrination centers. <Lmaoo>
Almost ten years ago; I asked a child that attended First grade in a local Elementary School how their school day went and what they learned. Their answer was that the teacher told them that "Guns are bad". Awesome. No critical thinking to help discern between a tool and it's possible uses. Simply spout your opinion that an inanimate object is bad and indoctrinate the children to your way of thinking.
There's a school shooting every other week, and you're shocked that kids in school today think guns are bad. <Neil01>

Being allowed to vote doesn't mean you are free. It's funny how it can be misunderstood like that. I'm talking about the never-ending authoritarian movement. So what if you can vote, the Nazi's came into power by being voted in. The growth in propaganda, censorship and authoritarian 'fact-checking' has made us more vulnerable than ever from losing our freedoms. Each year another law is passed which gives more power to the wealthiest people in the world and less freedom for the majority. This is a consistent and progressive movement and I just don't know where it will stop. The wealthiest people in the world have more influence on politics than ordinary people even though ordinary people are the vast majority.
I think you're just ignorant. Here's some reading you can do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Production_Code
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Legion_of_Decency
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

Reasons your speech would be "cancelled" in the recent past:
- depicting miscegenation
- kissing for more than 3 seconds
- showing 2 people in the same bed

Nope, cancelling is just a new thing. Except it's not. You have more freedom of speech both privately and legally than you have ever had before. And the stuff that does get you cancelled is generally hate speech instead of showing a black person dating a white person.

I think you're just ignorant. Here's some reading you can do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Production_Code
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Legion_of_Decency
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

Reasons your speech would be "cancelled" in the recent past:
- depicting miscegenation
- kissing for more than 3 seconds
- showing 2 people in the same bed

Nope, cancelling is just a new thing. Except it's not. You have more freedom of speech both privately and legally than you have ever had before. And the stuff that does get you cancelled is generally hate speech instead of showing a black person dating a white person.
Of course it's not new but it's much more prevalent now than it was only a few years ago. I mean even the President of the United States had his social media accounts closed. You can't pretend that wasn't a political move. It's no secret that Biden has hired Google and Facebook executives into his cabinet. Social media has brought censorship and propaganda to a whole new level and it's getting worse.

Back