1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Diaz Bro's tactic of overvaluing themselves should be taken as a lesson to other big name fighters.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Superman Elbow, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Superman Elbow Purple Belt

Nick acting like he deserves Usman is a perfect example. He knows he doesn't deserve Usman, honestly I don't think he even wants Usman. What Nick is doing is shooting his shot so high that when the UFC turns him down for their counter offer to seem serious it would have to be a big name. Not just any ufc fighter could use this tactic, it has to be someone who actually has a fan base and puts on exciting fights that get views, that is the only way to have any leverage on the ufc. Also they would have to have a bit of an outspoken personality because it would be a constant battle trying to stand your ground with the ufc.

Moral of the story: The Diaz bro's have taught other fighters that if you bring the views, you can leverage the ufc for big fights and never be the chump who fight someone ranked below you.

2. Get To Da Choppa Black Belt

This is the same logic Ronda Rousey used when she said she could beat Cain under the right circumstances

3. Unfinished Banned Banned

MMA rules favor wrestlers in real fights guys like Conor and Diaz bros would be stockpiling bodies.

4. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Banned Banned

You seem under the impression that Nick Diaz is playing 4-D chess.

He is not.

I say this as a big Diaz fan.

HHJ and shogunrua like this.
  5. gaffbyknees2 Yellow Card Yellow Card

She could def beat him in the wwe.

6. BFoe PhD in Fedor Studies from the Univ of Stary Oskol Platinum Member

Truth. Nate is especially good at promoting himself and protecting his brand. The Diaz bros don’t get enough credit for that.

7. avenue94 Black Belt

It's the same reason I honestly think both Diaz brothers think they are legitly undefeated since being wrestled or leg kicked is cheating.

shogunrua likes this.
  8. Superman Elbow Purple Belt

But what is it then? Im a bit of a fan, not a big one, but I dont think he truely wants to fight usman...I think he would take a title shot but I think the real goal is just big fights.

9. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Banned Banned

Yes. They do believe in themselves to a degree which most of us find outlandish. And their definition of lose isn't really a definition anyone else uses.

But Nick isn't negotiating when he says this stuff. Nate has learned some things about negotiation, that's for sure.

But I'm quite confident Nick is just talking, stream of consciousness style. It's the only way he knows.

10. avenue94 Black Belt

Yeah, people tend to underestimate the borderline delusion being a great fighter requires often.

11. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Banned Banned

He doesn't think ahead. He just talks. Even when he's been warned not to talk too much, he just talks (e.g. the NSAC commission interview when he couldn't just shut the fuck up and landed himself a 5 year suspension for smoking blunts).

It's great for interviews. Cue the famous 10 minute interview after the Gomi fight with big sunglasses that hides the black eye. But it also means you cannot take everything he utters as a well thought out philosophy or even opinion. It's just stream of consciousness. Practically rambling, if you will.

12. HwoarangStyle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

not really. usman would take that fight in a heartbeat as well. usman knows the value of nick diaz. big name, would be a huge fight

13. sabretitan Red Belt

Yeah right. Itd be a homicide if it was a real fight

14. WildShrimper The King

Some dumb fans might eat it up and give Diaz a chance against Usman.

svmr_db and Boxingfan998 like this.
  15. Superman Elbow Purple Belt

Its a lot easier to choke someone to death than punch them to death.

16. Shoden Banned Banned

In real fights they will get their heads smashed on concrete and there wouldn't be a ref to separate em

In real fights, Josh Thomson would've stomped on Nate Diaz head.

In real fights, Nick Diaz career would've ended on 4-1....luckily there was a ref there to save his life.

In real fights, conor would've been stomped and ended his career as a 2-1 fighter.

17. AP_RESURRECTION Steel Belt

I think they genuinely see themselves as superior to other current fighters given their tenure and brand names. I understand where they are coming from. Back in the day, they would take pride out of smashing aging stars who thought so highly of themselves. You have to be a hypocrite in this game to an extent and alwyas have high confidence in yourself.

If he wins this fight, he might get a title shot right then as long as he plays nice with the UFC to a minimal amount.

18. INoHespectChael Red Belt

I think he was just high tbh.

19. kalabula Silver Belt

Came here to say this. Nicks one of my faves. But hes kind of dumb.

20. giantveggie Green Belt