Di Nardo 10oz XL Boxing Gloves

makedansure

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Di Nardo 10oz XL Boxing Gloves Review

Background:

I was contacted by Di Nardo to see if I would be interested in doing a review of their recently BBBoC approved fight gloves. I paid for the expedited shipping services from Italy, but received the gloves in exchange for a review. The gloves I received were from the batch of gloves sent to the council for approval - they were not previously used and I received them within a matter of days.

Glove Specifications:

From the manufacturer’s description: 10oz XL, “EQUUM II”: horsehair, microfiber bow, EBA (quilted) – semi rigid padding.

Stitching/Craftsmanship/Materials:

Both gloves came in at exactly 10oz. The gloves were very well put together, and there was not a single loose stitch. The materials used match the level of craftsmanship. I am not a leather connoisseur, but I felt the backhand leather, especially, was a fantastic choice for a boxing glove. These glove scream luxury.

Design:

I really like how these gloves look, and they feel like a fight glove. They are extremely compact. The main knuckle/backhand padding compartment is contained in a fully lined pocket. I believe this ensures that the padding, the star of the glove, will not deteriorate with soiling. The thumb is very light and simple. This probably has to do with the fact that most of the focus was placed the backhand padding - more on this in the padding section. It’s clear that this is a premium product coming from a very proud maker.

It looks as though these gloves were built from the ground up, in that they did not seem to copy other major brand’s fight gloves. If anything, they resemble the old Flores training gloves.

Padding:

The backhand padding is the best aspect of these gloves. It is unlike anything I’ve felt in either a fight glove or a training glove. The layered padding dampened the shock to my knuckles, but most of my power still transferred directly into the heavy bag. Unlike other fight gloves that incorporate animal hair, I don’t believe that much tampering is possible with these gloves, even with soiling/extended use. They are rated at five 6 rounds intervals - this emulates the rating/tags that Reyes places in their fight gloves. I remember hearing that the maker was fond of Reyes gloves.

The thumb padding, specifically, was very light, and seems to be composed of a single layer of soft padding, completely different than the layered padding used in the backhand portion of the glove. This may be a sizing issue/weight allocation issue, as the backhand padding composition and rigidity probably left little wiggle room for a more robust thumb.

Hand Compartment:

These gloves are advertised as being “10oz XL”, but the gloves are very compact and unlikely to fit larger hands. The liner is very smooth, and after my short time with them, there are no signs of wear or tear. My best guess is that there will be no issues with the liner. I’m not sure the gloves will ever “break in”, as the leather does not seem to have much give to it, and the padding does not seem like it will ever break down to create more room. In comparison to Grant and Reyes’ “XL” and “L” variations of their 10oz fight gloves, these gloves fit closer to a normal 10oz size.

The fingertip area has a nice piece of felt that’s been stitched in and glued down to the liner. The material is a nice touch, and helps to lock in a tight fist.

Performance on the bag:

If you’re looking for a fight glove to use for training purposes, then based on the hand protection and the option to have the padding replaced, this might be a great option. These gloves felt great on the bag. I did about 20 combined rounds on the bag, rounds that consisted of continuous punching over two sessions. I would say that each round consisted of around 60-80 power punches to test the padding. You can hardly tell these gloves were used, and my hands felt great after both sessions.

Durability:

Again, I’ve only used these gloves for about 20 rounds spread over 2 sessions. Over that period, nothing suggests that any part of the gloves will wear down quickly. They are, like Reyes fight gloves, rated at 6 rounds intervals as indicated by the tags inside the gloves. Di Nardo’s gloves are rated at 5 of these 6 rounds intervals, which means that they are meant to be used for up to 30 combined rounds. For training use, I believe that these gloves will last much longer than that, with the added plus that Di Nardo will be able to replace the padding for you.

With the option to have Di Nardo replace the padding and with proper care after each use, these gloves look to last a very long time. What separates these gloves from the other fight gloves I’ve used/examined, is that in my experience, fight gloves aren’t traditionally built to last. Fight gloves are usually designed to be like disposable, albeit premium, razors. Di Nardo’s fight gloves were built with durability in mind.

Overall:

They felt great on the bag, and if use on the bag is indicative of how they’d feel in fight, then they would be a top choice in terms of achieving the balance between hand protection and power transfer. The balance of the glove in terms of weight distribution: Weight is a precious commodity in balancing a fight glove. I feel like they could have had less padding in the backhand (pains me to say as the padding is amazing) and more in the thumb. As someone that has had thumb issues in many gloves, I would have liked a tighter, more structured thumb. For training purposes, I would take them exactly as they are. For use in a fight, I would take some of that amazing backhand padding to create a more protective/structured thumb. Overall, a premium product with great knuckle protection and feel in a compact package.

TL/DR:

-Pros: The backhand/fist padding is excellent, unlike anything I’ve felt in a boxing glove. Hand protection and power transfer were very well balanced. The craftsmanship and material selection is among the best I’ve seen.

-Less-Pros: Thumb padding, and consequently thumb shape. Sizing for the “10oz XL” is an issue in comparison with the standard set by other major fight glove manufacturers.

Finally, the Di Nardo review bubble has popped!

Nice review.

Any experience with Winning pro fight gloves (MS200/MS300)?

It would be interesting to have a comparison; since when it comes to pro fight gloves, I can only think of 2 models that have been known to be durable and good for training: Cleto Reyes Safetec and Winning.

Do you know what the price would have been if you’d had to purchase them?

Do you know what the price would have been if you’d had to purchase them?

I had Dinardo quote me some a while back and they were 770 euros for a pair of training gloves, which is almost $1000 usd after conversion. Insane price, but it is what it is.

@deh707
I've had a pair of winning's 10 oz gloves, but they were velcro and didn't fit my hands. Not sure if the fit would be different with the lace up official fight gloves, but I don't really have much desire to check them out though I have only hear good things. The compartment was too small on the velcros, so I got rid of them. I've not used Cleto's 10 oz safetecs but have had the 8oz's before, and I'm unsure if those gloves come in the "L" variant.

I have used Rival's 10oz foam based fight glove, which are supposed to be more durable than the horsehair (now artificial fiber?) variant. Fit was great, shape and everything but the leather on the palm side was so cheap and disintegrated very quickly, and the liner material would soak in the sweat.

I don't use pro fight gloves on the bag often but have in the past out of curiosity. I now rotate bag mitts, nothing like what is offered today, but old Tuf Wear and Everlast ones that were made here in the states a long time ago. I never use bigger gloves on the bag, but use 18oz gloves to spar.

Cool thing about these gloves is that I was able to open up my hand with little effort. I love using gloves that incorporate horsehair into the padding because I'm able to catch punches much more easily and defect shots much more precisely than I do with the pre curved "broken-in" foam training gloves.

@deh707
I've had a pair of winning's 10 oz gloves, but they were velcro and didn't fit my hands. Not sure if the fit would be different with the lace up official fight gloves, but I don't really have much desire to check them out though I have only hear good things. The compartment was too small on the velcros, so I got rid of them. I've not used Cleto's 10 oz safetecs but have had the 8oz's before, and I'm unsure if those gloves come in the "L" variant.

I have used Rival's 10oz foam based fight glove, which are supposed to be more durable than the horsehair (now artificial fiber?) variant. Fit was great, shape and everything but the leather on the palm side was so cheap and disintegrated very quickly, and the liner material would soak in the sweat.

I don't use pro fight gloves on the bag often but have in the past out of curiosity. I now rotate bag mitts, nothing like what is offered today, but old Tuf Wear and Everlast ones that were made here in the states a long time ago. I never use bigger gloves on the bag, but use 18oz gloves to spar.

Cool thing about these gloves is that I was able to open up my hand with little effort. I love using gloves that incorporate horsehair into the padding because I'm able to catch punches much more easily and defect shots much more precisely than I do with the pre curved "broken-in" foam training gloves.

In my experience, the hand compartment of the Winning 10oz pro fight gloves (MS300) is bigger and provides a much more broken in feel than the Winning 10oz velcro training gloves (MS300B). There's also more and denser padding on the MS300B than the MS300.

@Vols1891

Not sure what the price is, but I can't imagine it being "cheap". Problem I have with the comparison between these gloves and foam based gloves is that foam based boxing gloves are instantly much cheaper than gloves that incorporate animal hair. That being said, $1000 USD is a very premium price, but may be worth it for a professional, especially considering there is literally only one other person I know of that produces this style of training gloves.

This is not about your comment, but I've always been curious as to why companies keep referring to their products as being "handmade". I'm pretty sure that every single pair of boxing gloves out there has had a pair of hands that made them. I don't think there's a machine that just spits these out, not even the crappier ones:

The big difference for me is that there are gloves made by those who actually want to make them, and those who do not have any desire to make them. I guess there's a third category of those who are professional enough to produce consistently and with quality but ultimately do not care about the product. You can tell when a glove has been made with pride.

@Vols1891

Not sure what the price is, but I can't imagine it being "cheap". Problem I have with the comparison between these gloves and foam based gloves is that foam based boxing gloves are instantly much cheaper than gloves that incorporate animal hair. That being said, $1000 USD is a very premium price, but may be worth it for a professional, especially considering there is literally only one other person I know of that produces this style of training gloves.

This is not about your comment, but I've always been curious as to why companies keep referring to their products as being "handmade". I'm pretty sure that every single pair of boxing gloves out there has had a pair of hands that made them. I don't think there's a machine that just spits these out, not even the crappier ones:

The big difference for me is that there are gloves made by those who actually want to make them, and those who do not have any desire to make them. I guess there's a third category of those who are professional enough to produce consistently and with quality but ultimately do not care about the product. You can tell when a glove has been made with pride.

I would definitely buy these gloves if I was a pro...might as well have the best when it comes to your career and livelihood. By the way, who is the one other person you mentioned that produces this style of training gloves?

Great review. To wear these as your every day pro you'd have to have either a good sponsor or be rich already. Average fight earnings for a pro who isn't a world rated prospect is like $500 - 1200. They'd have to be very special gloves to pay that price for what is essentially 1 fight (I doubt they'd let you reuse gloves for your next fight) So unless you train in 10's every day you'd need some serious juice to use these even as a pro.

Good luck to Di Nardo, I hope they make the big time soon would be nice to have more competition at the world stage for glove brands.

@Vols1891

Yeah the thing is, I'm not sure how the training gloves are but if they use the same padding compound, then it's a different style of glove for sure. I'm a big fan of these types of gloves as they allow me to catch punches instead of just blocking them or parrying them out of the way.

@Woldog

Technically speaking, I think that at the lower ranks/depending on where you are, the fight gloves are just examined to be in good condition... Definitely would not want to be on the receiving end of a punch with used gloves haha, but I personally know of a few instances.

Di Nardo 10oz XL Boxing Gloves Review

Background:

I was contacted by Di Nardo to see if I would be interested in doing a review of their recently BBBoC approved fight gloves. I paid for the expedited shipping services from Italy, but received the gloves in exchange for a review. The gloves I received were from the batch of gloves sent to the council for approval - they were not previously used and I received them within a matter of days.

Glove Specifications:

From the manufacturer’s description: 10oz XL, “EQUUM II”: horsehair, microfiber bow, EBA (quilted) – semi rigid padding.

Stitching/Craftsmanship/Materials:

Both gloves came in at exactly 10oz. The gloves were very well put together, and there was not a single loose stitch. The materials used match the level of craftsmanship. I am not a leather connoisseur, but I felt the backhand leather, especially, was a fantastic choice for a boxing glove. These glove scream luxury.

Design:

I really like how these gloves look, and they feel like a fight glove. They are extremely compact. The main knuckle/backhand padding compartment is contained in a fully lined pocket. I believe this ensures that the padding, the star of the glove, will not deteriorate with soiling. The thumb is very light and simple. This probably has to do with the fact that most of the focus was placed the backhand padding - more on this in the padding section. It’s clear that this is a premium product coming from a very proud maker.

It looks as though these gloves were built from the ground up, in that they did not seem to copy other major brand’s fight gloves. If anything, they resemble the old Flores training gloves.

Padding:

The backhand padding is the best aspect of these gloves. It is unlike anything I’ve felt in either a fight glove or a training glove. The layered padding dampened the shock to my knuckles, but most of my power still transferred directly into the heavy bag. Unlike other fight gloves that incorporate animal hair, I don’t believe that much tampering is possible with these gloves, even with soiling/extended use. They are rated at five 6 rounds intervals - this emulates the rating/tags that Reyes places in their fight gloves. I remember hearing that the maker was fond of Reyes gloves.

The thumb padding, specifically, was very light, and seems to be composed of a single layer of soft padding, completely different than the layered padding used in the backhand portion of the glove. This may be a sizing issue/weight allocation issue, as the backhand padding composition and rigidity probably left little wiggle room for a more robust thumb.

Hand Compartment:

These gloves are advertised as being “10oz XL”, but the gloves are very compact and unlikely to fit larger hands. The liner is very smooth, and after my short time with them, there are no signs of wear or tear. My best guess is that there will be no issues with the liner. I’m not sure the gloves will ever “break in”, as the leather does not seem to have much give to it, and the padding does not seem like it will ever break down to create more room. In comparison to Grant and Reyes’ “XL” and “L” variations of their 10oz fight gloves, these gloves fit closer to a normal 10oz size.

The fingertip area has a nice piece of felt that’s been stitched in and glued down to the liner. The material is a nice touch, and helps to lock in a tight fist.

Performance on the bag:

If you’re looking for a fight glove to use for training purposes, then based on the hand protection and the option to have the padding replaced, this might be a great option. These gloves felt great on the bag. I did about 20 combined rounds on the bag, rounds that consisted of continuous punching over two sessions. I would say that each round consisted of around 60-80 power punches to test the padding. You can hardly tell these gloves were used, and my hands felt great after both sessions.

Durability:

Again, I’ve only used these gloves for about 20 rounds spread over 2 sessions. Over that period, nothing suggests that any part of the gloves will wear down quickly. They are, like Reyes fight gloves, rated at 6 rounds intervals as indicated by the tags inside the gloves. Di Nardo’s gloves are rated at 5 of these 6 rounds intervals, which means that they are meant to be used for up to 30 combined rounds. For training use, I believe that these gloves will last much longer than that, with the added plus that Di Nardo will be able to replace the padding for you.

With the option to have Di Nardo replace the padding and with proper care after each use, these gloves look to last a very long time. What separates these gloves from the other fight gloves I’ve used/examined, is that in my experience, fight gloves aren’t traditionally built to last. Fight gloves are usually designed to be like disposable, albeit premium, razors. Di Nardo’s fight gloves were built with durability in mind.

Overall:

They felt great on the bag, and if use on the bag is indicative of how they’d feel in fight, then they would be a top choice in terms of achieving the balance between hand protection and power transfer. The balance of the glove in terms of weight distribution: Weight is a precious commodity in balancing a fight glove. I feel like they could have had less padding in the backhand (pains me to say as the padding is amazing) and more in the thumb. As someone that has had thumb issues in many gloves, I would have liked a tighter, more structured thumb. For training purposes, I would take them exactly as they are. For use in a fight, I would take some of that amazing backhand padding to create a more protective/structured thumb. Overall, a premium product with great knuckle protection and feel in a compact package.

TL/DR:

-Pros: The backhand/fist padding is excellent, unlike anything I’ve felt in a boxing glove. Hand protection and power transfer were very well balanced. The craftsmanship and material selection is among the best I’ve seen.

-Less-Pros: Thumb padding, and consequently thumb shape. Sizing for the “10oz XL” is an issue in comparison with the standard set by other major fight glove manufacturers.

Thanks for the review bud !!

Looks like a pretty well made glove.

I especially like the part where you don't mention the price.

Trust me, get yourself a pair of Rival RFX fight gloves and compare for value for the money.

<28>Cheers.

@dembones22
Hey manny pac green winnings w/ red writing, haven't seen you in a while. Didn't mention price cause I was never told and I never asked.

There's a pair on ebay if you need reference. Rivals fight gloves are nice, one of my favorite gloves while they last.

Peace.

@dembones22
Hey manny pac green winnings w/ red writing, haven't seen you in a while. Didn't mention price cause I was never told and I never asked.
There's a pair on ebay if you need reference. Rivals fight gloves are nice, one of my favorite gloves while they last.

Peace.

Ok, since you now own both gloves, knowing and aknowlaging that Di Nardo uses higher quality leather. Which do you think is the better value??

<Y2JSmirk> .

@dembones22
time will tell, but maybe it won't. Di Nardo gloves still look/feel new. I knew someone that contacted Rival about the speedy disintegration of the palm side leather of the rivals and Rival didn't do anything about it. I'm not arguing that Rival should have done anything about it either.

There's no question that there's a premium on these gloves. I don't know that bringing up value is necessary for luxury goods, even if boxing gloves are supposed to be used and abused. Even Kazumichi will tell you that Winning costs too much, and he'll tell you not to buy it. My everyday bag gloves are mitts I got off of ebay for $15 bucks though I know they're worth more. I honestly think anyone that uses pro fight gloves on the bag is either a pro or a poser (I'm the latter).

Last edited:
@dembones22
time will tell, but maybe it won't. Di Nardo gloves still look/feel new. I knew someone that contacted Rival about the speedy disintegration of the palm side leather of the rivals and Rival didn't do anything about it. I'm not arguing that Rival should have done anything about it either.

There's no question that there's a premium on these gloves. I don't know that bringing up value is necessary for luxury goods, even if boxing gloves are supposed to be used and abused. Even Kazumichi will tell you that Winning costs too much, and he'll tell you not to buy it. My everyday bag gloves are mitts I got off of ebay for $15 bucks though I know they're worth more. I honestly think anyone that uses pro fight gloves on the bag is either a pro or a poser (I'm the latter).

@makedansure

Oh!! YOU THOUGHT I FORGOT ??

As someone who owns almost every major brand under the sun, YES. Value does have everything to do with luxury goods. As boxing gloves are not something I NEED. It is in fact a luxury item used in my case for sport. So if an item does the same function as another with similar construction qualities and one is like more than triple price of the other, than that item is not a good value.

And Winning Is expensive but they have high labor costs. And also make the best training gloves on the planet.

<Y2JSmirk> .

Last edited:
A clip from the second session on the bag

Is that a canvas bag??? If so, you're a brave man using those luxury gloves on that. My old canvas bag absolutely shredded an old pair of gloves I owned, granted they were a cheap brand (Woldorf) but still, made me shy away from them ever since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back