Devon "Alexander the Great"20(13)-0 vs Andriy Kotelnik31(13)-3-1 this weekend

I was wondering if the actual judges were going to award the fighter who was busier and threw more punches, or the one that controlled the ring and landed more effective punches.

Good point, Lil-G.
There's the clean and effective punching metric.
But also the ring generalship.
Lederman usually places a hallmark on ring generalship, but in this fight he just completely ruled it out.

It was very early in the fight where I would find myself saying "Fuckin' A, Devon.... you keep letting him back you into a corner"

That really impressed me with Kotelnik; he corralled Alexander all throughout the fight. Devon was regularly finding himself in the corner or his back up against the ropes. Pretty impressive for a guy who was simply touted as "your basic Eastern Euro fighter"

Good point, Lil-G.
There's the clean and effective punching metric.
But also the ring generalship.
Lederman usually places a hallmark on ring generalship, but in this fight he just completely ruled it out.

It was very early in the fight where I would find myself saying "Fuckin' A, Devon.... you keep letting him back you into a corner"

That really impressed me with Kotelnik; he corralled Alexander all throughout the fight. Devon was regularly finding himself in the corner or his back up against the ropes. Pretty impressive for a guy who was simply touted as "your basic Eastern Euro fighter"

I was especially impressed with the way he kept Devon's right foot inside his (Kotelnik's) left. Keeping Devon from being able to move to his right. Kotelnik had really good maneuvering throughout.

WOW! WHAT A ROBBERY.

Devon hit air and gloves and got his head snapped back over and over and over.

If this is what boxing is now, it's pretty sad. Protecting their golden boy money maker Devon Alexander.

Kotelnik straight up put on a boxing clinic.

see the ring downgraded alexander from 2 to 3 because of this fight and moved kotelnik to 5.i agree with that

I just got around to watching this fight, I had kotelnik winning. It wasn't highway robbery but I thought he deserved it, or at worst a draw. He continually landed the cleaner more effective blows, which often seem to outscore effectiveless aggression on ledermans scorecard but not in this fight. Alexander was robotic throwing the same 1-2 with a little variation over and over and over, most of the time the lead jab was inexplicably coming up short and the straight left was blocked.

see the ring downgraded alexander from 2 to 3 because of this fight and moved kotelnik to 5.i agree with that

I saw that, and I agree. The Ring's consistency with their ratings is why I consider their ratings and champs to be the real ones.

Just watched it and agreed that kotelnik was robbed! I felt the same way after the Williams-Martinez fight.

Not sure about this robbery talk. BUT it was clearly not a 116-112 fight. That's a travesty.

It wasn't an out and out robbery but the scores were totally off. One of the few times I was cussing at Lederman.

I am a huge Alexander Fan but last Saturday was not a great performance

Back