Developed a new kick...

I-Shoji

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sparring with a partner who is a pretty accomplished striker I have come across a new kick.

A good striker can often see a roundkick to the legs or body coming fairly well and step back just out of range for the kick to whiff. Whiffing with a properly executed round kick results in turning a full 360 and exposing yourself to a counter. Bas did this a lot in his pancrase fights, jumping back just enough for the kick to whiff and counter with a kick to the legs...

So taking that into consideration you can bring the leg up and around just like you are throwing a roundkick to the body, but at the point your leg stretches out completely with the foot turned sideways piston your hip out a bit and into the target. The heel plows into the target, and you can aim for the solar plexus or the spleen/liver.

I practiced this kick against my partner and he said it comes out looking identical to a roundkick, but hits more like a front kick without being so telegraphed. you can really plow into someone with this kick with a lot of power, and unlike the bullshit TKD or Karate style sidekick you really don't run the risk of having the kick jammed by the oponent moving into it cuz if he does you simply catch him with a round kick. Plus now I can actually somewhat adjust a roundkick to land with the heel-plow effect if they back away from the range of my round-kicks...

especially if I throw a few roundkicks and he backs away from them, and then I throw one of these.

Try it out and give me some feedback. Wish I could make a video of it.

What you describe sounds like a rear-leg sidekick.

Gregster said:
What you describe sounds like a rear-leg sidekick.

No not really. Rear-leg sidekick still 'cocks' the leg which makes the kick telegraphed and easy to jam.

Do this all the time. My sidekicks don't chamber, either.

I-Shoji said:
No not really. Rear-leg sidekick still 'cocks' the leg which makes the kick telegraphed and easy to jam.

Yeah, this is true. And still some guys are dumb enough to try and tag someone in front of them with a rear-leg sidekick because they learned to throw it that way when learning the kick.

A front-leg sidekick (thrown half-cocked into an opponent who is closing) or thrown to the side at someone trying to flank you works fairly well.

Gregster said:
A front-leg sidekick (thrown half-cocked into an opponent who is closing) or thrown to the side at someone trying to flank you works fairly well.

These hurt. My first time sparring with a TKD guy he eventually hit me with one of these in the ribs as I came at him and cleanly knocked the wind out of me.

SanShou said:
These hurt. My first time sparring with a TKD guy he eventually hit me with one of these in the ribs as I came at him and cleanly knocked the wind out of me.

Oh, yeah. You can knock the wind out of someone, or put a guy flat on his back faster than a $2 ho with a front-leg sidekick (padda-chuggi(sp?) if you time it just right. Very effective for both creating distance as well as making an opponent think twice about closing it.

Dude, i hate to tell you this, but you are just throwing a sidekick with a roundkick as a feint. nothing extra special.

I-Shoji said:
It's called a rising side kick and has been in various Karate styles since the dawn of time. A TKD guy would call it a leg swing and use it for warmup.

Well, nothing new or special, but you should enjoy your new technique anyway.

Hum, well I'm merely stating that the technique is new to me and it works well.

Obviously I'm not claiming that it's never been done before, but I do hold belts in Karate and Kung-Fu styles and have about 20 years of martial arts experience as well as plenty of time in sparring with competent strikers from Mikey Burnett's Lion's Den..

It's different in a few subtle and important ways then any technique I've come across so far.

Oh, and noone has ever thrown anything like it in any K-1 event I've seen. So there is that too :p

I-Shoji said:
Hum, well I'm merely stating that the technique is new to me and it works well.

Obviously I'm not claiming that it's never been done before, but I do hold belts in Karate and Kung-Fu styles and have about 20 years of martial arts experience as well as plenty of time in sparring with competent strikers from Mikey Burnett's Lion's Den..

It's different in a few subtle and important ways then any technique I've come across so far.

Oh, and noone has ever thrown anything like it in any K-1 event I've seen. So there is that too :p

Kaoklai does it.

the side kick with out the chamber basicially. wow......must try this move out in sparing next week.

Back