• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Detroit news outlet: "UFC 218 lacked great fights,bad production and was underwhelming"

WTF, what a bizarre thing to say. Alongside UFC 218 it was one of the best UFC cards in years, full of excellent fights.

damn sports writers, they always do this stuff to try to get a rise out of people. its just another form of trolling.

-says it lacked "holy (shoot) moments"
-called aldo a has been and said max had to goad him to fight
-called the production formulaic

etc etc. the only real comment to the author I have is for him to try harder next time!

As an mma fan great fights as my casual mainstrean friends say it was one sided with the big guys and the main event had too much clowning

Different views both are right no agenda

Typical of Detroit. I’m amazed the city has people capable of working a computer at all, much less typing an article with one.

make sure you let him know how wrong he is in the comments section

I'm not surprised. It was a fairly crap card....

Said no one, ever!!!!

Def a state of the art arena, doubt anyone says dif.. but if you were there, then you realize how uncomfortable it was in there being it felt colder inside, then it did outside, at times. You realize how big that venue is and how long it took to find food and make it back to your seat. You saw how the event staff was very lazy in their job, and also saw how "bored" the crowd seemed in between fights.. my wife enjoyed the card though and could care less about the cold or venue food, plus she's the true mma fan out of the two of us and she said the card was on par for her in terms of excitement, as the last NY card we attended. So it's all subjective in the end. Def hope they go back to Detroit though, the food in that city was fucking amazing.. Connie and Barbara's, Pop'n Smoked, Duly's and Townhouse!! We would go back, just for the food!

Every event people are bored inbetween fights it is just how it goes. I thought it was pretty damn warm in that arena especially for the last 3 fights.

Also I didn’t really notice it taking to lo long to get food or beer. I was row 7 on the lowest deck outside floor seats so I had a hike every time I wanted a beer. I got 7 beers on 6 trips btw and didn’t miss anything.

I'm not a millenial.. so have no clue what a bff is kiddo. Nor do I care to compare self to another, as adults tend not to. So not sure what your point is, beside upping your post count. Simmer down child.
You try very hard to sound like an adult.

The WMMA and FLW fights were underwhelming but the rest of the main card was excellent.

I have to agree. EVERY result was pretty much expected

- Aldo being post USADA

- Overeem chin being GLASS

- Eddie Sanchez vs Gaethje being a SLOPFEST

- Cejudo outwrestling Pettis Lite

- WMMA spam

Etc.

Overrated card/10

#REDPILL Detroit
You're retarded. This was a great card, almost every fight from the pre-lims on delivered.

They are correct about production. UFC has incredibly stale and amateurish production for an organization with mainstream ambitions.

lollll thats hilarious. Us people on here are the first to complain about shit and I'm pretty sure we were all this guy last night

<{JustBleed}>

Not sure if trolling or stupid.

The fight only hit the ground once, and Gaethje executed an extremely high level funk escape out of side control, which is rarely used in MMA.

At 3:55 you can see the study on Joe Benavidez, which is how Gaethje used it against Alvarez.

The fact that you would call the successful execution of an extremely high level wrestling technique "grappling like beginners" suggests you have no idea what you're watching.

Lol torched

I was there for the entire night.

Personally, I think the event was good overall. The main card seemed to deliver. The low point was the crowd IMO. They were drunk by 8pm and were disrespectful the entire night. They booed every clinch/ground exchange. I counted at least 4 fights before Overeem-N'gannu, made worse by arena security insisting that the police assigned to the arena stay off the floor level at all times.

The writer of this article is likely not a fight fan and had no clue what a good card looks like without Conor or Ronda in attendance.

*insider information* none of the disturbances or fights were caused by actual Detroit residences. There were countless surburbanites and out-of-towners causing problems with their overdrinking. I honestly feel less than 5% of those in attendance actually stayed in the city. Please go easy on us (legit Detroiters) as we were not the ones putting a black eye on this event.

I...what? How in the hell do you call that underwhelming?

I could go on for days posting these. This journalist is a can...

Back