• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Details about the friction between Rumble and his corner...

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
According to corner audio from the event, Johnson’s cornermen pleaded with him when he elected to wrestle Cormier (19-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) rather than engage in striking. They begged him to disengage and keep his distance, and expressed anger when he didn’t.

UFC 210 video highlights: Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson

At one point, Johnson’s longtime striking coach Henri Hooft exclaimed, “This is stupid.” Between rounds, Johnson said nothing.

When Johnson (22-6 MMA, 13-6 UFC) submitted to a rear-naked choke in the second round, he exclaimed, “Why, why the (expletive) does this happen every (expletive) time, man?”

These excerpts from Johnson’s corner tell the tale. Apparently, the fighter’s retirement plans weren’t the only surprise of the night.

Round 1
Voice: Take your time. Nice. Take your time. Don’t take him down.

Hooft: Don’t wrestle him.

Voice: If you’re going to go, go single.

Hooft: You don’t have to wrestle him, AJ. Just relax.

Voice: Don’t wrestle him.

Hooft: Get out of there. Get out of there.

Grappling coach Neil Melanson: OK, stud. Now, let’s get your hands hot.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: This is stupid.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: (Expletive) it, man. Just get off the cage.

Voice: Get out of there.

Voice: Why isn’t he listening?

(Johnson and Cormier are broken up by referee John McCarthy, and Johnson lands kicks.)

Voice: He’s tired already, DC. He doesn’t need to do this.

Voice: Why isn’t he listening?

Hooft: I don’t know why he’s doing that. We have no (expletive) eyes.

Break between Round 1 and Round 2
Hooft: Can you tell me why you’re wrestling? Now, you’re not going to wrestle. You take your distance. Stay away, two steps away. Why are you so worried about everything? The kicks and the knees are really good, but no kicks. Where’s your hands?

Voice: You’re doing great. Don’t (expletive) wrestle him.

Hooft: If you stand your distance, it’s an easy game. Why make it difficult?

Round 2
Hooft: Movement. Athletic. Movement. That’s it. Take your distance.

(Johnson reverses against the cage and goes for another takedown)

Hooft: You need distance.

Hooft: I’m not saying nothing.

(Cormier has Johnson on the mat and is setting up a choke)

Hooft: It’s going the same as last time.

(Johnson submits to Cormier via rear-naked choke)

Hooft: Why, why the (expletive) does this happen every (expletive) time, man? Crazy.

After the fight, Johnson surprised the crowd and retired from the sport. He sought out Hooft before he made his announcement, but Hooft was nowhere to be found.

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=241729

Bizzare. Did Aj throw the fight?

Odd time to retire too

Johnson didn't want to bang in his final fight, very odd.

Anik and the guys were talking about it after the fight was over. Rumble never enjoyed training. I never wanna shit on guys after a loss, but that right there tell's you what you need to know. Rumble didn't LOVE fighting.

I hate saying this, but Rumble wanted out. There is absolutely no reason to be wrestling Daniel Cormier if you're Rumble. None. When Hooft left, I knew it was because of disappointment. Sad, but he has every reason to be.

Rumble, the guy who hasn't wrestled since his fight with Dan Hardy, decides to try and grapple with the best wrestler he's ever faced, and one of the best grapplers in MMA history.

I love Rumble, but this wasn't right man. Didn't need to go out like this.

That man wanted to prove something to himself.

His corner is selfish. If they knew it was his last fight, it is shameful they never showed up to stand by him as he retired.

Fuck those guys.

#NotMyCorner

He felt that blocked right hand of Dc and didnt want any of it anymore.

I like Johnson, but that was absolutely worst title performance I've seen. His team has every right to be furious.

tumblr_loaqtsmj531qkxbdo.gif

Rumble wanted to be Fedor in his retirement fight.

Not that hard to comprehend, really.

That hooft seems like a real class act

Amazing stuff @KazDibiase .

I was literally face palming the moment he cliched Cormier and continued to hold my face and just listened to the commentary. I was blown away by that performance. It made no sense what so ever. He should have been able to pick up a relatively easy win with an outside striking game and shucking off take down attempts and clinches. Just WTF?!

<JerryWWF><bball1><{hmmm}><{Ray2}><JagsKiddingMe>

I wouldn't say he full on threw the fight since that kick to DC's face could have been a fight ender, but he might have pulled a Sapp by seeing how it went early and then just focussing on not getting hurt.

It was weird, in any case.

A bizarre fight and unexpected ending. During the fight all I was thinking was what the hell was Johnson doing

Too many people here were quick to shit on Hooft. As if he had no reason for his behavior.

Interesting. Sounds like he was trained to fight completely differently than he actually did. I can see why his team would be so frustrated.

Back