Destroyed Hands from Sparring

scorcho

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking about posting this in the standup forum, but decided that this would be the better place since it relates to equipment and I trust the people here at G&E.

Anyway, I am back home training at my vale tudo school (I train JJ at college), and my instructor asked me to come to the Saturday "competition" training session and work with some guys on their ground game. Well, one thing lead to another, and before I knew it, I was sparring guys full contact with mma gloves. Though I was beating guys on the ground, I was having some trouble in the standup. Luckily, we were wearing headgear with plastic facemasks, so my face is still all in one piece.

My hands, however, are all bruised up. I was wearing wraps and sherdog mma gloves, but my knuckles were still all bruised and red. Additionally, my fingers are all cut up from throwing hooks, since the mma gloves do not cover them, and the plasic facemask is tough to hit.

Anybody have any advice on how I should solve this hand problem? How I should wrap or treat the bruises and cuts on my hands? Should I invest in a new pair of gloves that would take better care on my hands?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

keep those cuts covered so they don't get infected. Being that it's your hands/fingers, you'll probably wanna use those dandy fabric bandaids. Cover `em until they heal, as air is not involved in healing. If they're red or inflamed already, dump on some bactine. Don't use neosporin for more than a couple of days if that's what you use, it can cause a rash after prolonged use.

As for bruises, I don't know past not further irritating the injury (i.e. not punching the bejeezus out of people for a day or so). RICE, I guess? Fortunately, hands are pretty vascular, so they should heal quickly.

as far as gear, it sounds like you were doing what you were supposed to do-- wraps and gloves. No offense, but why, if this was training, were you guys going this hard? I applaud that headgear was in use, but it sounds like you just weren't using adequately heavy/padded gloves for the situation. Actual fight? Fine, use the lesser oz. gloves, but in practice, I've always used as heavy a glove as I could get, as much to protect my hands as to protect whoever got hit.

I am not sure how many ounces the sherdog gloves are, but if you're going to continue sparring full contact, perhaps you should look into some mma gloves that have more padding? Sure, you'll have to hit harder for similar effect, but if it keeps your paws intact... I know Combat Sports has a pretty expansive catalog for these gloves, maybe they can make suggestions? I know there are even some w/ more finger/knuckle protection.

If the hook continues to be an issue, maybe just switch to a body hook? Nothing like a dandy liver shot to end things. :)

hope some of this helps, and hope you heal up soon.

scorcho said:
I was thinking about posting this in the standup forum, but decided that this would be the better place since it relates to equipment and I trust the people here at G&E.

Anyway, I am back home training at my vale tudo school (I train JJ at college), and my instructor asked me to come to the Saturday "competition" training session and work with some guys on their ground game. Well, one thing lead to another, and before I knew it, I was sparring guys full contact with mma gloves. Though I was beating guys on the ground, I was having some trouble in the standup. Luckily, we were wearing headgear with plastic facemasks, so my face is still all in one piece.

My hands, however, are all bruised up. I was wearing wraps and sherdog mma gloves, but my knuckles were still all bruised and red. Additionally, my fingers are all cut up from throwing hooks, since the mma gloves do not cover them, and the plasic facemask is tough to hit.

Anybody have any advice on how I should solve this hand problem? How I should wrap or treat the bruises and cuts on my hands? Should I invest in a new pair of gloves that would take better care on my hands?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not uncommon bro, on my first MMA session, I completely removed the skin on my knuckles and the parts before them. It's unavoidable, but i've learnt to live with it. Bruising is a bit unusual, I've only had cuts to deal with. It's not the gloves.

I'd just recommend, letting the skin heal, it'll get stronge and coarser.

~Foz

Well, MMA gloves are the only way to practice clinching and grappling along with standup, unless you can think of something better. Shooto gloves maybe?

As I said, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well, when I was getting my cuts it was using the Ouano UFC Style gloves (same as the sherdogs), but I also got alot of cuts when using my shooto style gloves. SOME cutting is unavoidable sadly. But then again I don't use wraps under my gloves, I know I should but im too lazy to get some proper ones, and i'd have to get some bigger gloves, not worth the hassle at the moment.

~Foz

scorcho said:
Well, MMA gloves are the only way to practice clinching and grappling along with standup, unless you can think of something better. Shooto gloves maybe?

Why don't you try the Primetime Level 4 glove? They offer it in an open palm. SSF may be able to help you out.

Gsoares2 said:
do more jiujitsu... save your hands.

But vale tudo is so much fun!

Yea, I hope Ron will post on this thread at some point and give me his take.

fat_wilhelm said:
Why don't you try the Primetime Level 4 glove? They offer it in an open palm. SSF may be able to help you out.

You have a link for these?

scorcho said:
You have a link for these?

I know Ron sells themm look in his MMA section of his site.

I think you need some new gloves scorcho, I have not been hitting any plastic face masks but I have been hitting the bag alot and doing some striking on the ground. The CSI MMA gloves have so much padding that they take alot of the impact so your knuckles dont get torn. At least that is what I experienced, just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys, PrimeTime claims that the padding is equal to a 16oz glove. They are really well padded but I don't think they are as good as a 16oz boxing golve to get nailed by. I only spar live at our school when the other guy has PrimeTimes on.

Email me if you need any details.

www.SSFgear.com

Adino said:
I know Ron sells themm look in his MMA section of his site.

I think you need some new gloves scorcho, I have not been hitting any plastic face masks but I have been hitting the bag alot and doing some striking on the ground. The CSI MMA gloves have so much padding that they take alot of the impact so your knuckles dont get torn. At least that is what I experienced, just my 2 cents.

Yea, I think so too. My knuckles on both hands are pretty raw, and the skin even got torn off of some of them.

Thanks for the help guys. Sent you a PM Ron.

scorcho sent you one back. Put in the comments field your Sherdog username so I know it's you if you order a pair.

www.SSFgear.com

Sounds like the headgear was an excuse to go full force, which isn't always a good dea. If you wrap your hands properly you can avoid most of the skin tearing that you all are experiencing. I'd also use shooto or other thicker gloves than the 4oz gloves for comp. But then again I train with fairtex so I don't practice what I preach.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I think that I am going to go with the PrimeTimes that Ron sells.

scorcho said:
Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I think that I am going to go with the PrimeTimes that Ron sells.

Cool be sure and post pics and tell us how you like them.

I ordered a pair from Ron today, too. They're supposed to be great gloves.

CSI gloves are way better for sparring than the 4 ounce Ouanos.

scorcho said:

Yes, Shooto gloves.

Back