Media Derrick Lewis: "I Don't Know Why I Keep Getting Main Events Either... [Buckley] Can Have It"

Siver!

Spinning Back Kick Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Derrick Lewis questions why he’s the main event of UFC St Louis

Speaking during the pre-fight press conference, Derrick Lewis was asked what he thought about being in yet another main event spot, despite having publicly requested that the UFC only put him in three-round fights:
“I don’t know why I keep getting main events either. I know I’ve said this on national TV so many times that I didn’t want to be [the] main event…I don’t know what I had to do.”
“I thought maybe I had to lose a couple of fights and get no more main events. But no, they’re still trying to put me [in the] main event,” said the fan-favorite heavyweight contender.
Lewis was then asked what he thought about hometown hero Joaquin Buckley calling for the UFC to switch the main and co-main events around so that he has the headline attraction for his home crowd.
“It doesn’t matter to me, [Buckley] can still have it. The sh*t ain’t start yet. He can still get it. I would love to go three rounds, sh*t for real.”
Buckley previously stole the final credits of the UFC 300 pre-fight press conference when he lambasted Dana White from the hot mic:
“The whole crowd done told me man, ya’ll coming back to St Louis – hey we love Derrick Lewis, but he doesn’t want to fight five rounds Dana… Switch it up man give your boy ‘New Mansa’ the main event in his hometown baby – Let’s go!”
Buckley might not have got his main event slot, but he’ll certainly have the backing of the entire Enterprise Center as he looks to defend his #11 spot in the rankings against Nursulton Ruziboev.

---

Humble dude, and probably has no desire to fight for a potential 5 rounds - and if Lewis connects, it might not last 5 minutes!

images

i think buckley picked the wrong guy to fight in his hometown. my hometown as well. dude he is fighting is a tough bastard. 10 fight win streak and finished his oponent in all of them. very very good grappler and descent striker with some power. buckleys weakness is wrestling and i feel he will be submitted. smart that he isnt the main event.

Lewis holds KO record in HW div it's easier to sell tickets to the casuals ufc knows the market

Lewis has one win in his last 5 fights and is the main event .. yep makes sense

I honestly do not think this fight will go further than 3 rounds max, Nascimento got crushed inside a round by Daukaus.
If it somehow does, Derrick is in trouble.

he is honest but let's face it

if a main event non-title fight was 3 rounds, he would have no desire to switch to co-main. he clearly wants no 5-round fight and I cant say i blame him. carrying all that weight and pretty much only throwing power punches is very exhausting for 5 rounds. hell, even 3 rounds is alot for him

Lol, "I would love to go 3 rounds. Shit for real".

I don't think there's a pay bump for being main vs co-main when it's not a PPV and nobody on the card is top 10, and nobody is watching 1 fight and not the other, so it's just a matter of which fight is 3 rounds and which is 5. If the card is in St. Louis, just be grateful if there are no murders in the arena or the parking lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brendan The Hybrid Schaub
Back