Depression after lifting weights. Advice?

What do you think about when you lift?

Im either very focused on just lifting or I think about my training (graplling or boxing), and that I will never lose again. That motivates me for lifting.

are you on steriods?
if not, are you eating enough carbs or are you just hammering the protien?
try upping your carb in take a little bit to see if that helps because lack of carbs can lead to irritability and anxiety according to some studies

No man, Im eating right, thats for sure.

Seems like a hopeless issue. But Im gonna try som advice I`ve gotten so far. Aerobic exercise or a good cooldown. I usually just stretch.

Could be virtually anything. Try picking up some zinc and a B complex. Heavy lifting depletes zinc levels, while low levels of Vitamin B have been linked to depression, anxiety etc.

I always feel better after lifting.

But the best post workout high, hands down, is when I hit the heavy bag for several rounds at an intense pace.
I feel like skipping around in a field of flowers and stuff like that.

Try hitting the heavy bag or something for a change of pace.

As for the depression the TS posted, this would seem likely stem from a neurotransmitter regulation problem that is resulting from the exercise. This is a classic symptom of sympathetic overtraining and is common. Try taking 1-2 weeks completely off from lifting weights and only do moderate aerobic activities and I would be willing to bet your post workout depression goes away.

Take 1-2 weeks off and get outside. Go for some hikes or long walks, nothing killer. Don't worry about losing strength, chances are you'll come back stronger.

"The mechanism by which intravenous sodium lactate causes panic attacks in panic disorder is not fully understood and may or may not be related to the exaggerated endogenous lactic acid response to alkalosis. The mechanism of lactate-induced panic is beyond the scope of this review."

Interesting article, it sounds like there are a lot more questions about answers when it comes to lactate and anxiety. After reading through most of it, it still sounds like it's more of a correlation that indications some sort of dysregulation than strict causation between the panic attacks and lactate accumulation. I'll look for more research on it but in any event, this is certainly not the cause of the TS depression issue.

As a couple of others have said, your reaction is atypical - most folks feel less depression after lifting.

It should up your seratonin levels and make you all happy and blissful.

Anyway, I'm thinking you may be fighting low blood sugar (hypoglycemia sp?).

Are you feeling drunk or loopy as well?

As a couple of others have said, your reaction is atypical - most folks feel less depression after lifting.

It should up your seratonin levels and make you all happy and blissful.

Anyway, I'm thinking you may be fighting low blood sugar (hypoglycemia sp?).

Are you feeling drunk or loopy as well?

No but diabeetus runs in the family. Im gonna use my brothers equipment to measure my bloodsugar next time.

No but diabeetus runs in the family. Im gonna use my brothers equipment to measure my bloodsugar next time.

Maybe its something like a plateau, you just have to bust through- try upping the volume.

Maybe its something like a plateau, you just have to bust through- try upping the volume.

I`ve been training like a fucking maniac for this competition, and I never really took the time off afterwards, cus I felt OK, that was 2 months ago. I guess I overtrained and never really recovered. I just never thought overtraining could have any mental side-effects. Im stronger than ever (my curlz are up to 75lbs), so I cant agree with the plateau thing.

The curl thing was a joke.
I know what pisses you guys off:)

Good one...

Do check you blood sugar next time. If Diabetes is a possibility, you'd want to find out as fast as possible.

You should be feeling like a world beater after your workout.

I honestly feel I`ve failed in life afterwards.

Yeah, thanks for all of the advice guys, Im takin 2-3 weeks of, and measure my bloodsuger next time.

Back