Elections "Democrats' Basic Message Should Be Respect for Workers" Sherrod Brown 2020?

The Democrat party can attract a lot of working and middle class voters if

1) They wholeheartedly support the application of Tariffs against China
2) Oppose and go after companies exploiting the H1-B visa program
3) Go after companies exploiting tax loopholes by technically headquartering their company in a low tax haven country

Trump received a lot of support in part because of his economic nationalist campaign rhetoric. The Dems are traditionally the part of the working class, so they need to run with the economic nationalist platform.

Workers as in employed people? Even the higher income ones who want more of their gross income to be in the net column?

With the midterms in the rear view mirror, speculation has heated up for the 2020 Democratic primary.

Senator Sherrod Brown won a fairly easy re-election in Ohio despite the state trending heavily Republican overall.

This seems to have him seriously considering a run at the 2020 Democratic nomination.

His message "Fight for workers and respect the dignity or work, whether you punch a clock, swipe a badge, work for salary or work for tips... I respect the dignity of work, and I think that's what Washington forgets about."

brown.jpg

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/sen-sherrod-brown-potential-2020-ambitions-59401616

Personally, I like Sherrod Brown a lot. He seems to exude honesty, and he also has a bit of that "Tom Hanks" quality. I think he could do very well in the the Rust Belt and upper Miidwest states, possibly even competing in a places like Iowa.

I do worry about whether he'd have the media savvy to be able to get his message across in the era of the Trump circus.

What do you guys think?

A. Buy or sell Sherrod Brown's chances to win the Democratic nomination
B. Buy or sell Sherrod Brown's chances vs. Trump
C. Buy or sell Sherrod Brown's message as a blueprint for the Democratic platform

Don't know too much about him but I would agree that Democrats need to focus on their pro-labor policies more and less on all the social issues. The culture war stuff is great clickbait but right wingers have successfully used a couple of those issues to tar the entire Democratic party and the left despite the fact that on many issues relating to the economy and to the social safety

I don't know much about him, I'll have to look into him.

I'd like to see a Bernie/Turner ticket in 2020. There's other progressives but Bernie is the most popular/known one so I think he has the best chance. He's been making a lot of moves that he can cite on the campaign trail too. Plus, Nina Turner is a charismatic badass and I'd like to see her gain more notoriety.

Absolutely lost at 'lesser posters here' like JVS is some decreer of a posters worth or something

hahahahahhaahahhaha + hahahahahahahahahahah = hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha
I legit laughed out loud

I am concerned that if he were to be elected, he’d be replaced by a republican senator.

I like Sherrod a lot but I feel like this is getting too much attention. Sherrod is kind of an anomaly in Ohio. He’s a cult like figure in NE Ohio (Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown) and while he does do better compared to other Dems, he still loses in most rural counties.

That and he was running against the absolute worst fucking candidate to ever run for US Senate. Think Donald Trump with less of the relatable and fiery side, and more of the rich ass-wipe with fake hair side. Had the Republicans run any decent candidate they probably would’ve beat Sherrod. If the election were tomorrow Trump would win Ohio over Brown.

Buy, Buy, Buy.

Healthcare, environment, infrastructure, and education are all winners for the dems right now, unless something changes drastically for Trump. I think the dems could run almost anyone not named Clinton and have a great chance, but Brown would play better than most to independents in the purple states.

Pretty much this. The big 4 are just so damn obvious. Such great ammo to shit all over the GOP, so the Dems will probably fuck it up.

I don't know much about him, I'll have to look into him.

I'd like to see a Bernie/Turner ticket in 2020. There's other progressives but Bernie is the most popular/known one so I think he has the best chance. He's been making a lot of moves that he can cite on the campaign trail too. Plus, Nina Turner is a charismatic badass and I'd like to see her gain more notoriety.

I would imagine if Bernie runs again his age will mean his choice of running mate is very important, both due to the chance of them taking over in his term and potentially running for the following term.

I would imagine if Bernie runs again his age will mean his choice of running mate is very important, both due to the chance of them taking over in his term and potentially running for the following term.
Exactly. He's said he is looking at running, but wants to make sure he's the best candidate to do so.

I think he is the antidote to Trump. Certainly with young voters he is very popular - he had more votes from people under 30 than Trump & Hillary combined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back