Elections "Democrats' Basic Message Should Be Respect for Workers" Sherrod Brown 2020?

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
With the midterms in the rear view mirror, speculation has heated up for the 2020 Democratic primary.

Senator Sherrod Brown won a fairly easy re-election in Ohio despite the state trending heavily Republican overall.

This seems to have him seriously considering a run at the 2020 Democratic nomination.

His message "Fight for workers and respect the dignity or work, whether you punch a clock, swipe a badge, work for salary or work for tips... I respect the dignity of work, and I think that's what Washington forgets about."

brown.jpg

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/sen-sherrod-brown-potential-2020-ambitions-59401616

Personally, I like Sherrod Brown a lot. He seems to exude honesty, and he also has a bit of that "Tom Hanks" quality. I think he could do very well in the the Rust Belt and upper Miidwest states, possibly even competing in a places like Iowa.

I do worry about whether he'd have the media savvy to be able to get his message across in the era of the Trump circus.

What do you guys think?

A. Buy or sell Sherrod Brown's chances to win the Democratic nomination
B. Buy or sell Sherrod Brown's chances vs. Trump
C. Buy or sell Sherrod Brown's message as a blueprint for the Democratic platform

Last edited:
I don't know anything about him. But his message "Respect the worker" really needs to be packaged properly or it's a no go.

Except it's not going to be. We all know the 2020 message from Dems will be a more extreme version of the current "Orange Man Bad!" mantra.

I understand why you'd want it to be something of substance but you're kidding yourself if you actually think it's going to happen.

Platitude. Verify the concept with actionable steps to defend the position. His slogan might as well be "I do Good things."

Except it's not going to be. We all know the 2020 message from Dems will be a more extreme version of the current "Orange Man Bad!" mantra.

If a doctor came to me with the message of "cancer is bad" I would not say "pffft, what an uninspired message." That said, I do agree that AFTER you say that part, you need to explain how to curb or rid the cancer. But then to counter that counter... the first thing you have to do is remove the tumor. But then to counter that.... if the cancer is already spreading, removing the tumor is only the first step, and you need to follow that up with treatment.

Democrats need to find a different message besides Hillary's and Obama toward the end. That's for sure.

I look for Democrats to continue to swing with some Marxist angle though.

Buy, Buy, Buy.

Healthcare, environment, infrastructure, and education are all winners for the dems right now, unless something changes drastically for Trump. I think the dems could run almost anyone not named Clinton and have a great chance, but Brown would play better than most to independents in the purple states.

I wonder if the average voter might be sick and tired of "politicians". A big part of the reason trump won was he was not an establishment guy at all.
Same with Obama he was not a known political player to anyone outside of Chicago.
I feel like Brown might get put into the life long political figure crowd though. I don't think that is the best chance for the Democrats.

I'm guessing another war is coming within the ranks though with the Hilrary wing of the Democrates looking to either nominate her or someone similar to her on a "Not Trump" ticket dispite the failiure last time around.

Can't say I know too much about Brown beyond his wiki page but he doesn't seem like another neo liberal technocrat so yes that would definitely be a positive direction for the Dem's and he's a good deal younger than Sanders. Again though I think you will have enormous resistance from the Dem's and their attendant media support for someone like that.

I understand why you'd want it to be something of substance but you're kidding yourself if you actually think it's going to happen.
I don't know about that. Democrats were very message disciplined in the 2018 midterm-- focusing on healthcare and the adverse affects of the GOP tax plan. And they did really well.

There is a ton of anti-Trump sentiment that is going to drive voters to any Democratic candidate in 2020. I don't think the Democrats even need to worry about that being their message. Just Donald Trump continuing to speak is going to keep the anti-Trump vote robust.

I will grant that it is going to be tough to avoid getting sucked into the "Trump debate" when you are running against Trump, though.

I wonder if the average voter might be sick and tired of "politicians". A big part of the reason trump won was he was not an establishment guy at all.
Same with Obama he was not a known political player to anyone outside of Chicago.
I feel like Brown might get put into the life long political figure crowd though. I don't think that is the best chance for the Democrats.
I agree with your sentiment, but it is tough to put Brown into that category if you listen to him speak for a few minutes. He seems incredibly down to Earth, imo.

Anyway, what's the alternative for Democrats? Try to counter Trump with another reality star? That doesn't seem like a great alternative for the Democrats (or the country).

Last edited:
Buy, Buy, Buy.

Healthcare, environment, infrastructure, and education are all winners for the dems right now, unless something changes drastically for Trump. I think the dems could run almost anyone not named Clinton and have a great chance, but Brown would play better than most to independents in the purple states.
Why to independents? I think he is fairly progressive and not a moderate. Not nearly as far left as Bernie but clearly left.

Because it sounds like empty political tripe.

Respect the worker. All the workers? What about the employers? Don't we deserve respect? What about the entrepreneurs? Does worker mean the guy making 6 figures in some Wall Street banking conglomerate? Or are we only talking about the union guys demanding obscene benefits at the expense of their employer (some hyperbole to make my point).

Workers is so broad that I, personally, find it hard to imagine a platform that speaks to the various types of workers in the U.S. equally.

I don't know about that. Democrats were very message disciplined in the 2018 midterm-- focusing on healthcare and the adverse affects of the GOP tax plan. And they did really well.

There is a ton of anti-Trump sentiment that is going to drive voters to any Democratic candidate in 2020. I don't think the Democrats even need to worry about that being their message. Just Donald Trump continuing to speak is going to keep the anti-Trump vote robust.

I agree with your sentiment, but it is tough to put Brown into that category if you listen to him speak for a few minutes. He seems incredibly down to Earth, imo.

Anyway, what's the alternative for Democrats? Try to counter Trump with another reality star? That doesn't seem like a great alternative for the Democrats (or the country).
The only "Star" I can imagine is of course Oprah but Beto may be interesting. At first I didn't think he would have any staying power but he seems to be doing fine. If he can take Cruz that deep in TX in that district it speaks volumes. And Beto would not be viewed as an establishment candidate. I personally like the TX angle. Castro Davis and Beto have really been a positive for progressives. If a Democrat could ever carry TX they would absolutely win the presidency.

Why to independents? I think he is fairly progressive and not a moderate. Not nearly as far left as Bernie but clearly left.
And yet... he won in Ohio.

I think the point he proves-- and a lot of direct ballot initiatives proved-- is that progressive economic policies can win in very culturally conservative places. A lot of it has to do with the right messenger at the right time.

I don't think so. The Democrats won the house and now all they can do is obstruct legislation and deploy investigations into the evil orange man.

The only way your scenario will work is if they agree to some bipartisan deals. But they won't. They'll refuse to give into anything that may appear as a win for Trump. And Trump will use it against them to prove how useless establishment politicians are.

Then it's going to turn into a big ugly battle with tons of name calling and identity politics. And, as already shown, you can't beat Trump at that game.

Unfortunately the Democrats (and the Republicans as I expect some primary challenges to Trump) are too stupid not to fall into that trap.

I think you forgot the part where they demonize white men.

PS, don’t waste your money on that bet.

Mostly because I think independents that voted third party or stayed home last time are looking for any reason to vote against Trump in 2020, and if they do he's out. Brown comes across like a regular guy and is talking mostly about infrastructure and healthcare, which are universal issues. I think he's money, but I also must admit I only know what I've seen in a few interviews.

Because it sounds like empty political tripe.

Respect the worker. All the workers? What about the employers? Don't we deserve respect? What about the entrepreneurs? Does worker mean the guy making 6 figures in some Wall Street banking conglomerate? Or are we only talking about the union guys demanding obscene benefits at the expense of their employer (some hyperbole to make my point).

Workers is so broad that I, personally, find it hard to imagine a platform that speaks to the various types of workers in the U.S. equally.
I think by workers it would make sense to specify the service and manufacturing industries. Not specifically the hourly guy but the whole industry.
The owners, the workers, and the innovator. That wouldn't be a hard sale imo.

I love Sherrod Brown and would support him over any other Democrat, but the slogan needs work.

Back