• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Demian Maia is half Russian

So what? Brazil is a state of immigrants, nearly all of them have roots from somewhere in Europe or Asia, just because his grandmother was Russian (why am I not suprised that his russian roots are female, LOL) doesnt mean he is anyhow emotionaly connected to Russia.

I live in Argentina, one of my assistants has italian ancestors, the other spanish ones, my landlord is a wolga-german, my neighbors grandparents are from Brazil, one of my friends has a russian mother and my best homie is from Bosnia, so, still all of them are Argentinians (except the Bosnian - Mashalla).
I'm pretty sure that both his maternal grandpa and grandma immigrated to Brazil from Russian Empire.

And kinda agree, it's weird sometimes, when people here surprised that there is mma fighters of Turkish, Greek, Yazidi, African, Korean, Arabic origin from ex-Soviet countries.

Could have never guessed that one. I am speculating that Masvidal has some Russian in him. He doesn't look like a typical Latino. Cuba had a number of Russian immigrants back in the Soviet days afaik.
Yeah masvidal he could have some russian blood, russians came to cuba to teach boxing and wreslting.

He just said it in his podcast. That explains the his lack of expression as a Brazilian and maybe his raw strength in the clinch.
“Russian” isn’t a race. Eastern Russians don’t look shit like ones closer to Europe. It’s like saying “half Philadelphian”. Being born somewhere else geographically doesn’t change your race, whether you’re a black man born in Tokyo or a white man born in Nigeria. The black isn’t Asian now and the white isn’t black now.

Could have never guessed that one. I am speculating that Masvidal has some Russian in him. He doesn't look like a typical Latino. Cuba had a number of Russian immigrants back in the Soviet days afaik.
Explains his affection for trump

Johny Hendricks look like he's part Indian or Middle Eastern. :p

download__1_.0.jpg
Probably, but I know Hendrick has native blood in him. There was a video about it that ufc actually uploaded.

Benson Henderson is Blasian. Black + Korean

BJ Penn is a hapa
Travis Brown too
That’s hapa again? All I know is that bj penn actually has korean and Irish blood in him.

He just said it in his podcast. That explains the his lack of expression as a Brazilian and maybe his raw strength in the clinch.

His grandparents were russian who went to Brazil to escape the russian revolution. At least that's what I remember.

Peobably wouldn't have a guessed it seeing as he's "brazilian" by nationality and you don't think Russian when thinking brazil. But now that its mentioned, he does look Russian-ish

So what? Brazil is a state of immigrants, nearly all of them have roots from somewhere in Europe or Asia, just because his grandmother was Russian (why am I not suprised that his russian roots are female, LOL) doesnt mean he is anyhow emotionaly connected to Russia.

I live in Argentina, one of my assistants has italian ancestors, the other spanish ones, my landlord is a wolga-german, my neighbors grandparents are from Brazil, one of my friends has a russian mother and my best homie is from Bosnia, so, still all of them are Argentinians (except the Bosnian - Mashalla).

if I recall correctly he has two grandparents that are russian, hence why he is half of russian blood. His two russian grandparents had his mother in brazil, then she married a brazilian.

As far as I know, Mir is 1/4 Russian from his Cuban side (who is actually Russian and Moroccan). I think Jorge is half Peruvian though.

As far as I know, Mir is 1/4 Russian from his Cuban side (who is actually Russian and Moroccan). I think Jorge is half Peruvian though.
I think his story was like that -- his ancestors from Russia immigrated to Morocco and from there to Cuba. But I have no idea how long his ancestors stayed in Morocco, few years or few generations, if they married any locals and stuff like that.

So we’ve pinned down some of the old world non Portuguese ethnicities of many Brazilian fighters:
Gracies are Scottish
Machida is Japanese and Italian
Maia is Russian

Rickson Gracie looks mostly Amerindian to me.

Peobably wouldn't have a guessed it seeing as he's "brazilian" by nationality and you don't think Russian when thinking brazil. But now that its mentioned, he does look Russian-ish

I know a German guy who looks exactly like Damien, could be brothers.

Back