Orange Belt
Reaction score
Vital statistics:

Height: 193cm (6'4")
Weight: 75kg (165lbs)
Training since: July 2007
Fights: None so far

General information

A year and a half ago while on vacation my cousins (who also train MT) took me to a show run by their gym, I was hooked. Six months later I managed to get into a local MT gym. I've been training Muay Thai for almost a year now.

This log is a personal record documenting my training progress in MT and related conditioning

You are taller then me and skinnier then me. You must be like a stick. I weigh over 40 lbs more and am 2 inches shorter and I consider myself skinny. lol you must look like a skeleton.

10/6/08

Training day:

Warm-up

1 x 5 minute round: Alternating increasing kicks on the pads, 1 right, 2 left, 3 right, 4 left... up to 17

1 x 3 minute round: 1 right, 1 left, 2 right, 2 left, 1 right, 1 left kick's

3 x 3 minute round: Focus mitt's mainly working my jab, throwing some combos, moving around keeping my range

1 x (?) minute round: Jab-cross drill

2 x 1 minute round: 25 burpees with 4kg dumbell

1 x 1 minute round: 28 burpees

Shadow-boxing

Warm-down

The good:

- Jab was sharp and generally had good range.
- Right kick was the hardest it's been in weeks (maybe months), and the speed and power on the doubled up right kicks was excellent.
- Getting plenty of hip into my cross, feeling good and heavy.
- Wearing a mouthguard during training is feeling more natural.

The bad:

- Left kick is still limp, doesn't feel natural, needs a lot of work.
- While footwork was generally pleasing, could have been lighter on my feet.
- Since starting fight training, I'm less relaxed in training, this is tiring me faster than normal.
- When focusing on my jab, my left arm was fatiguing faster than I wanted. This needs to change if I'm going to fight a smaller heavier fighter where I'll be using my jab heavily and repeatedly through the whole fight.
- Double jab needs work, going to have to focus on working on doubling and tripling up jabs to sort this thing out.

You are taller then me and skinnier then me. You must be like a stick. I weigh over 40 lbs more and am 2 inches shorter and I consider myself skinny. lol you must look like a skeleton.

Have a look on YouTube for Levin Artem, I'm about the same build as him (ignore the fact he get's KTFO by Yodsaenklai :redface:). So yeah, skinny. Quite happy being at this weight for now, plan to fight in the low 70's. Once I've had a few fights I may try and do some more strength training and put on some weight. For now, this is my body's natural efficient weight.

Edit: The way I look at it is my build is effectively similar to your average Thai boxer, only much taller and therefore proportionally heavier. So long as I accept that I'm not going to be a Western style inside brawler, and fight according, no problem.

I know someone who fights at a pretty high level who is your weight/height so if it works for him it can work for you. Enjoy the reach advantage, its very rare you'll fight someone your height or taller.

Im competing at 74kg myself and am 4 inches shorter.

11/06/08

Cardio:

Planned to do a race-pace 5k, headed out and my legs felt tight as hell, wasn't warming up through the first part of the run, everything just felt bad. Stopped and stretched everything out hard at 2.5k, and just for a minute. Ran back long and strong, everything felt relaxed and good.

Definitely adding more regular LSD style runs back into my routine. I've been putting plenty of emphasis on hills, sprints and stairs, but have been neglecting a quality and consistent distance program, and I could tell on this run. I don't care what anyone says, LSD is the basis of any good fighting cardio program, definitely need plenty of anaerobic work, but I see an LSD basis as essential.

Vital statistics:

Height: 193cm (6'4")
Weight: 75kg (165lbs)
Training since: July 2007
Fights: None so far

General information

A year and a half ago while on vacation my cousins (who also train MT) took me to a show run by their gym, I was hooked. Six months later I managed to get into a local MT gym. I've been training Muay Thai for almost a year now.

This log is a personal record documenting my training progress in MT and related conditioning

wow

You have some range

I'm 5'11" and 83-86 kg

11/06/08

Cardio:

Planned to do a race-pace 5k, headed out and my legs felt tight as hell, wasn't warming up through the first part of the run, everything just felt bad. Stopped and stretched everything out hard at 2.5k, and just for a minute. Ran back long and strong, everything felt relaxed and good.

Definitely adding more regular LSD style runs back into my routine. I've been putting plenty of emphasis on hills, sprints and stairs, but have been neglecting a quality and consistent distance program, and I could tell on this run. I don't care what anyone says, LSD is the basis of any good fighting cardio program, definitely need plenty of anaerobic work, but I see an LSD basis as essential.

Clever man

You need LSD, I don't care what anyone says, but priority on hard stuff (1.5-3 milers and interval/sprint work)

Have a look on YouTube for Levin Artem, I'm about the same build as him (ignore the fact he get's KTFO by Yodsaenklai :redface:). So yeah, skinny. Quite happy being at this weight for now, plan to fight in the low 70's. Once I've had a few fights I may try and do some more strength training and put on some weight. For now, this is my body's natural efficient weight.

Edit: The way I look at it is my build is effectively similar to your average Thai boxer, only much taller and therefore proportionally heavier. So long as I accept that I'm not going to be a Western style inside brawler, and fight according, no problem.

Long range knees and elbows are the way to go for you.

Clever man

You need LSD, I don't care what anyone says, but priority on hard stuff (1.5-3 milers and interval/sprint work)

Definitely, possibly use LSD wrong, but generally use it to refer to anything 5km+, so when I say I want to add more LSD, I'm meaning more 6-8km runs than anything severely long.

Long range knees and elbows are the way to go for you.

Always getting drilled by my trainer to work on the outside of my range on everything, still occasionally catch myself throwing lazy short jabs when I'm tired and getting closer than I should be on pads without noticing, but it's slowly sinking in. Probably going to sink in even more once I'm in the ring and someones trying to take my head off.

He's doing MT.

12/06/08

Training day:

Didn't train because I spent the whole day in the law library study for an exam I had this morning. Sigh. The exam did go well though. Sometimes it sucks having to not train because I have university commitments, especially when I want to fight. But I always have to remind myself, MT is a hobby, law is my career, and sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.

Definitely, possibly use LSD wrong, but generally use it to refer to anything 5km+, so when I say I want to add more LSD, I'm meaning more 6-8km runs than anything severely long.

I would say 6-8 miles would count as lsd

You're talking medium (although 5k is still short to me, that should take you about 19 minutes) distance at 6k. LSD for me is anything over 6-7 miles.
I rarely run over 8 miles (I'm 187 ish lbs)

Always getting drilled by my trainer to work on the outside of my range on everything, still occasionally catch myself throwing lazy short jabs when I'm tired and getting closer than I should be on pads without noticing, but it's slowly sinking in. Probably going to sink in even more once I'm in the ring and someones trying to take my head off.

When you get worn out and fighting someone shorter then you, and he knows you are worn out....this of a rash and how hard it is to get it off you

17/6/08

Training day:

Warm up

2 x 5 min rounds on the tall heavy bag working right kicks

1 x 3 min round jab 4-direction footwork drill

1 x 3 min round 1-2 4 direction footwork drill

4 x ? min round active sparring

2 x ? min round full sparring

Warm down

The good:

- Right kick is again solid, it feels good on the bag
- Using the jab well as a range finder, find it easy to keep it out there and always in the persons face. Need to make sure they don't come round it over the top or round it quickly (or under it with a kick), but it felt in control today.
- Body shots. Today they were solid. I was getting people to cover up well and then working the body hard. Need to throw more shots for the liver.
- Not stopping combos/shot-watching. Threw probably the biggest combo I've ever thrown in one of the rounds of full sparring, it was good. None of this 1-2-3 step back, taking full advantage, working up and down, up top until they close up, right left to the body, another few up top, work the body again, up top, step back, leg kick, felt good.

The 'things that need work' (formerly the bad):

- Active sparring was messy. I'm not partcularly comfortable when I'm forced into a situation where I'm toe-to-toe with someone. At the same time, it's good training an shows I have some stuff to work on. Need to keep my guard tight when I'm throwing, and use more head movement.
- Getting overwhelmed in full-sparring occasionally against bigger guys when they unload. Need to use more lateral footwork to get out of the way without just backing up. Not standing in front of a 110kg loaded gun.
- Need to check more kicks - especially getting the high check up for mid-level kicks. I took a couple of uncomfortably hard rib kicks, and I have a disturbingly sore rib which I'm hoping will feel better in the morning.

General comments:

Today before training the prospective first-timers were told to head upstairs and weigh-in. I'd been chowing down on plenty of food during the day and had had a liter of fluid straight before training so I knew I was going to be heavy. I also don't trust the bathroom style scales upstairs in the gym for their accuracy. I knew I was going to be heavy, but I wasn't expecting to be 78kg heavy.

It's unknown to me at the moment when the weigh-in for the fights will be. Because they're novice fights (16oz gloves, shin guards, no knees to the head, no elbows, no contest result) I have a feeling that there might be weigh-ins on the afternoon of the fights, rather than the night before as seems to be more common with most other fight nights.

So this raises the issue of what weight I'm actually going to be fighting at. I'm pretty lean already, but I'm going to have to try and happily drop a couple of kg without destroying myself since I don't really want to fight at 78kg. It's catch 22. I'm 6'4", but because I'm so lean, someone under 6 foot is going to be significantly more heavily built than me, I'm effectively too light for my height. Morning runs, may be happening more often.

When you get worn out and fighting someone shorter then you, and he knows you are worn out....this of a rash and how hard it is to get it off you

Kinda been there, done that, sparring a heavyweight who hits too hard in sparring, was tired, dropped my guard, ate an uppercut/hook that landed flush on my cheek/mouth, rung my bell for sure, ears rang for a few minutes after that. Good lesson though.

Kinda been there, done that, sparring a heavyweight who hits too hard in sparring, was tired, dropped my guard, ate an uppercut/hook that landed flush on my cheek/mouth, rung my bell for sure, ears rang for a few minutes after that. Good lesson though.

Heavy hitters in sparring unless its agreed annoys the shit out of me.

Did you after the above get a sore neck. Thats always a good indicator you've been clocked hard

Yeah, you always feel it, right at the top of your neck after you've taken too hard a hit. It's definitely the hardest hit I've taken, I took my glove off after the round to check everything was still where it was supposed to be because I couldn't feel my nose/mouth/cheek.

19/06/08 - Fuck.

Training day:

Warm up

I'll actually detail what we did since our trainer was somewhat sadistic with this one.

4kg dumbbell in each hand holding it with your arm out-stretched for many of the sets. We head down to the bottom of the building, about 3-4 flights of stairs worth. We proceeded to do sets involving: climbing the stairs missing every second step, lunging up as many steps as we could per lunge, single leg hops (one set per leg, no heel touching the ground), double leg hops of as many stairs as we could. Quality warm-up. Oh wait we weren't done yet.

3 x 2 minute rounds, '1 minute' (roughly speaking) rest, target - 55 burpees. Actual figures, something like 57, 51, 55. These weren't pretty burpees, nothing that'd fulfill the 100 burpee conditioning challenge requirements, but then again, you try doing 160+ perfect form burpees in less than 8 minutes... no rest after, straight into 3 minutes of shadow, followed by an actual chance to stop for a second.

Warm-ups over, sweet! Wait...

Get down into a press-up position, upper arms parallel to the ground, hold that for what seems like an eternity. People are dropping onto their chests, only to suck it up and push back up, a teeth clenching arm shaking affair, no fun for all involved. Same position, one arm out stretched in front, hold for a while on each arm. Pump out 10 press-ups.

Warm-ups actually done, I for one, was plenty warmed up.

? x ? minute pad rounds. A number of pad rounds anyway, focussing on a few combos

4 x ? minute full sparring

The good:

- Did a superb impression of a punching bag
- Survived the warm-up
- Landed some solid kicks in sparring
- Managed to avoid having my leg tenderised

The bad:

- Beaten to a pulp in sparring
- Feeling like you want to quit halfway through training because you think you're going to spew

General comments:

I'll mainly address sparring. Good god, what a disaster. After having a good sparring session earlier in the week I felt confident going into this sparring session. Confidence in my hands turned into over-confidence. My guard was all over the place and I was probably seen eating some punches like cupcakes. It was one of those days when I just wasn't seeing punches coming. I was most definitely not in the zone.

My jab was ineffective because I was failing to back it up with a quick and solid right hand when they tried to move in behind it. I managed to get swarmed a number of times. I was having extreme problems blocking hooks, it just wasn't happening, as a result sparring a heavy handed guy around my weight I managed to eat a hook directly on the temple which resulted in a beautiful sparkly shower of multi-coloured stars, wooondeerfuuuul.

I got kicked in the nuts after someone caught my front kick.

It was just one of those days.

Training again tomorrow morning.

Back