Law Defining "high crimes and misdemeanors"

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
This topic has been discussed extensively here.

The short answer is that the Supreme Court gets to decide the substantive definition of a HC&M. It is not, as some believe, whatever Congress deems it to be.

Bribery is specified directly in the constitution.

The question is: is withholding money for political favors bribery?

If your manager withheld your paycheck until you washed his personal car, do you think he should get fired?

Bribery is specified directly in the constitution.

The question is: is withholding money for political favors bribery?

If your manager withheld your paycheck until you washed his personal car, do you think he should get fired?

Bribery is mentioned as an example of a high crime and misdemeanor. But Trump’s actions do not constitute bribery, since the an investigation into Biden is needed, and Trump can withhold those funds for any reason he wants. Moreover, under our treaty with Ukraine, Trump can request Ukraine’s assistance with a criminal investigation.

So we went from Republicans saying there was no Quid Pro Quo at all to well all politicians use Quid Pro Quo and now we've landed on Quid Pro Quo doesn't qualify as a high crime or misdemeanor?

<mma4>

Republicans are some desperate pieces of trash right about now continuing to do whatever is necessary to avoid admitting they allowed a shitbag into office on their party ticket. Trump could literally shoot a baby on the White House lawn and these losers would try to blame the baby for making aggressive movements before they would admit it was a bad idea to vote him into office.

It’s amazing how out of touch with reality democrats are

Their wild allegations are all over the place with no actual evidence.

the person in question who was “extorted” denies it n democrats “witnesses” are all hearsay witnesses

It’s amazing how out of touch with reality democrats are

Their wild allegations are all over the place with no actual evidence.

the person in question who was “extorted” denies it n democrats “witnesses” are all hearsay witnesses

Yes those ambassadors and government officials are all highly lacking in the credibility department. Where do you think that hearsay comes from? Who makes the decision to ask for an investigation on a political opponent and to hold up congressionally approved support?

<TheDonald>

Not the guy who is surrounded by people getting charged and convicted for crimes. Not the guy who is a known conspiracy theorist willing to spread lies such as the birther conspiracy. Not the guy who's been admitted to have millions in personal loans to a country that would directly benefit from his action. Not the guy who stole money from a charity.

The state ambassadors and career government officials who raised concerns about his behavior from day one are the ones lacking credibility. I'm not certain he committed a crime, but I'm certain there's enough reason for an impeachment to find the truth. If he's found innocent then ok. If he's found guilty then ok. But if we're going to impeach a President for lying about a fucking blowjob without outrage from Republicans then you should really just shut the fuck up and let the justice system do its job.

You remember when Clinton lied under oath and we decided that although it was a crime that it wasn't impeachable?
lol. I'm sure someone has already put a bunch of laughing gifs after this post but I don't want to be left out.

<45>

lol. I'm sure someone has already put a bunch of laughing gifs after this post but I don't want to be left out.

<45>

Because you dont understand how something can be a crime yet not rise to the level of removing the president from office?

And I believe you're the first so......congrats???

Yes those ambassadors and government officials are all highly lacking in the credibility department. Where do you think that hearsay comes from? Who makes the decision to ask for an investigation on a political opponent and to hold up congressionally approved support?

<TheDonald>

Not the guy who is surrounded by people getting charged and convicted for crimes. Not the guy who is a known conspiracy theorist willing to spread lies such as the birther conspiracy. Not the guy who's been admitted to have millions in personal loans to a country that would directly benefit from his action. Not the guy who stole money from a charity.

The state ambassadors and career government officials who raised concerns about his behavior from day one are the ones lacking credibility. I'm not certain he committed a crime, but I'm certain there's enough reason for an impeachment to find the truth. If he's found innocent then ok. If he's found guilty then ok. But if we're going to impeach a President for lying about a fucking blowjob without outrage from Republicans then you should really just shut the fuck up and let the justice system do its job.

here’s the thing...

Clinton actually committed crimes n that’s why he was impeached. He committed 11 impeachable offences which included perjury, obstruction of justice, witness tampering n abuse of power.

So it wasn’t simply for lying about a blow job like liberal media likes to claim.

the man was under investigation for sexual harassment.

In trumps case he’s being impeached cause democrats n unelected career bureaucrats don’t like the way he runs the country.

That’s not the ground for impeachment.

here’s the thing...

Clinton actually committed crimes n that’s why he was impeached. He committed 11 impeachable offences which included perjury, obstruction of justice, witness tampering n abuse of power.

So it wasn’t simply for lying about a blow job like liberal media likes to claim.

the man was under investigation for sexual harassment.

In trumps case he’s being impeached cause democrats n unelected career bureaucrats don’t like the way he runs the country.

That’s not the ground for impeachment.

Actually Trumps behavior and the accusations against him are exactly grounds for impeachment. Clearly you don't even know what the fuck an impeachment proceeding is. Here's a hint... It's a formal investigation into alleged misconduct. Criminal charges and removal from office are options that can occur after the findings of an impeachment. The impeachment occurs to decide if he committed any crimes or if he was involved in misconduct, not because they know for a fact he committed a crime. So again, maybe you should shut the fuck up because you don't even know what an impeachment is.

Trump is being impeached because several government officials, all highly respected and holding high office, have claimed misconduct in relation to his actions towards Ukraine. That's grounds for an impeachment. This has nothing to do with a Democratic hissy-fit and everything to do with the fact that Trump likely engaged in unethical extortion to have political rivals looked into. Democrats don't like Trump because we've known from the beginning that he was a piece of shit.

"The notion that only criminal conduct can constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment does not comport with either the views of the founders or with historical practice.[1] Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 65, described impeachable offenses as arising from "the misconduct of public men, or in other words from the abuse or violation of some public trust."[3] Such offenses were "political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself."[3] According to this reasoning, impeachable conduct could include behavior that violates an official's duty to the country, even if such conduct is not necessarily a prosecutable offense. Indeed, in the past both houses of Congress have given the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" a broad reading, finding that impeachable offenses need not be limited to criminal conduct."

Impeachment of Walter L. Nixon, Jr., H.Rept. 101-36 at 5 (1989).

Cole, J. P.; Garvey, T. (October 29, 2015). "Report No. R44260, Impeachment and Removal"(PDF). Congressional Research Service. pp. 15–16. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
15px-PD-icon.svg.png
This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain. An earlier version from 2005 is at https://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/98-806.pdf.

Actually Trumps behavior and the accusations against him are exactly grounds for impeachment. Clearly you don't even know what the fuck an impeachment proceeding is. Here's a hint... It's a formal investigation into alleged misconduct. Criminal charges and removal from office are options that can occur after the findings of an impeachment. The impeachment occurs to decide if he committed any crimes or if he was involved in misconduct, not because they know for a fact he committed a crime. So again, maybe you should shut the fuck up because you don't even know what an impeachment is.

Trump is being impeached because several government officials, all highly respected and holding high office, have claimed misconduct in relation to his actions towards Ukraine. That's grounds for an impeachment. This has nothing to do with a Democratic hissy-fit and everything to do with the fact that Trump likely engaged in unethical extortion to have political rivals looked into. Democrats don't like Trump because we've known from the beginning that he was a piece of shit.

"The notion that only criminal conduct can constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment does not comport with either the views of the founders or with historical practice.[1] Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 65, described impeachable offenses as arising from "the misconduct of public men, or in other words from the abuse or violation of some public trust."[3] Such offenses were "political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself."[3] According to this reasoning, impeachable conduct could include behavior that violates an official's duty to the country, even if such conduct is not necessarily a prosecutable offense. Indeed, in the past both houses of Congress have given the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" a broad reading, finding that impeachable offenses need not be limited to criminal conduct."

Cole, J. P.; Garvey, T. (October 29, 2015). "Report No. R44260, Impeachment and Removal"(PDF). Congressional Research Service. pp. 15–16. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
15px-PD-icon.svg.png
This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain. An earlier version from 2005 is at https://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/98-806.pdf.
Pretty much why we can ignore anyone who goes on and on about "where's the crime?" Who gives a shit, impeachment doesn't require the commission of a crime. It requires an abuse or violation of some public trust.

But the knee jerk defenders won' touch that with a 10 foot pole, they're keep trying to steer the conversation into an area that's completely irrelevant.

Pretty much why we can ignore anyone who goes on and on about "where's the crime?" Who gives a shit, impeachment doesn't require the commission of a crime. It requires an abuse or violation of some public trust.

But the knee jerk defenders won' touch that with a 10 foot pole, they're keep trying to steer the conversation into an area that's completely irrelevant.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Trump could shoot a fucking baby in the face on the White House lawn and they would make excuses on how the baby was acting aggressive and threatening so it was self-defense. I'm no big fan of Republicans, but this guy is clearly not fit for Presidency. I didn't have much to say about President Bush even when I disagreed with policies, so this isn't some anti-Republican circle jerk.

15px-PD-icon.svg.png

those state officials are upset that Trump set his own foreign policy and didn't involve them or seek their opinion, The president makes his foreign policy, not bureaucrats.

this impeachment is going no where, I'm not saying shift isn't stupid enough to push it but there was no crime and this is going to fall apart in the house, it won't even make it to the senate.

when cnn said last night that their star witnesses didn't hear the call, never met or even talked to Trump was problematic for the dems, that tells you where this is headed. also Shift saying he didn't know who the whistleblower is will come back to bite his lying ass

I guess they will keep the Kavanagh blueprint and continue to parade liars up and throw shit at the wall hoping for anyone as stupid as the democrat base is

those state officials are upset that Trump set his own foreign policy and didn't involve them or seek their opinion, The president makes his foreign policy, not bureaucrats.

this impeachment is going no where, I'm not saying shift isn't stupid enough to push it but there was no crime and this is going to fall apart in the house, it won't even make it to the senate.

when cnn said last night that their star witnesses didn't hear the call, never met or even talked to Trump was problematic for the dems, that tells you where this is headed. also Shift saying he didn't know who the whistleblower is will come back to bite his lying ass

I guess they will keep the Kavanagh blueprint and continue to parade liars up and throw shit at the wall hoping for anyone as stupid as the democrat base is

Oh so those state officials are just upset about being left out of the loop, not because they were asked to do things they considered unethical.

<YeahOKJen>

Our ambassadors and officials involved in that exact situation are all just that petty over something so insignificant as being uninvolved despite BEING FUCKING INVOLVED AND IMMEDIATELY SEEING THE UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR. They all just conspired together to get the big bad Trump man over this.

15px-PD-icon.svg.png

It’s nothing more than partisan politics.

democrats know they can’t win in 2020 with the mediocre cast of candidates they put forward n are losing on most issues.

so the only thing they’re left with is abusing their power n go after the president with this impeachment nonsense that will go nowhere n will actually backfire.

Here’s somebody who actually knows what’s hes talking about

It’s nothing more than partisan politics.

democrats know they can’t win in 2020 with the mediocre cast of candidates they put forward n are losing on most issues.

so the only thing they’re left with is abusing their power n go after the president with this impeachment nonsense that will go nowhere n will actually backfire.

Here’s somebody who actually knows what’s hes talking about

Ah yes the guy who doesn't even know what the fuck an impeachment means is trying to educate me on impeachment.

<FookIsThatGuy>

you know better than a law professor...

<YeahOKJen>

I guess you missed that huge part of my post where I said I had no idea whether the impeachment would find Trump guilty of any crimes or misconduct and that I was fine either way. Again, coming from the guy who doesn't even know the definition and procedure of an impeachment, you should stop posting.

This is exactly why I have the avatar I have. Do I need to break this down as I would for an autistic child for you to properly understand my simple position on this matter?

1. Impeachment - good idea.
2. Results of impeachment - Not sure.
3. @grimballer - retard.

Oh so those state officials are just upset about being left out of the loop, not because they were asked to do things they considered unethical.

<YeahOKJen>

Our ambassadors and officials involved in that exact situation are all just that petty over something so insignificant as being uninvolved despite BEING FUCKING INVOLVED AND IMMEDIATELY SEEING THE UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR. They all just conspired together to get the big bad Trump man over this.
count the times you've been lied to and were completely wrong about what Trump had done and what was going to happen to him over the last 3 years and then add another one to that. and then for self help try and notice the pattern and maybe find a better news source. youre being played

count the times you've been lied to and were completely wrong about what Trump had done and what was going to happen to him over the last 3 years and then add another one to that. and then for self help try and notice the pattern and maybe find a better news source

Why don't you throw a few examples my way.

Why don't you throw a few examples my way.
start here and go backwards to collusion, nothing they said was correct.

you're listening to shift now, the same guy that said he had proof of collusion. he's a liar

watch what happens to this when in comes out he was in touch with their bullshit whistleblower all along, yesterday he denied knowing him

Back