Deficit deads

Miiiiiiighty

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have been trying those for a while now and I find them really hard ...

I have been doing them with 110/120kg with the bar resting at my ankle level with an oly grip and trying to do them in an explosive fashion with controlled excentric phase ...

I find them to burn my forearms pretty good and the last sets are really painful .
I'm slowly improving but hell it's the hardest training day of the week ...

So I would like to have your personal feedbacks on that move , did you use it at some point and of course if so what are your impressions and how did they work for you ? Did they really help you to improve ???

Thx

I like them a lot. They really helped me improve my lower back and glutes, and carryover to regular deads quite well.

When I first started using them I was given the guideline 65%-75%, 4-6 mats (so 3-5 inch deficit), and a total of 10 sets including warm-ups. I started at 65%, 4 mats using triples. It worked very well, I was able to work up to ~85% from a 3 inch deficit for a triple.

Thanks for the answer

I am currently using them in a 10 sets fashion too .
I have been doing them for too little time to see how they will affect my performances..
I think i must be around 4-5inches deficit too as the bar is just above my ankle level

I've been doing 5 sets of 3 @ ~80% (170kg) with a 6" deficit. Carries over well and really helps with speed on the initial phase of the deadlift of the ground. Well worth it.

Sorry to interupt, how high should normal deadlifts be? At my gym we have some fancy weights so I don't know if the barbell is high enough when on the ground.

Do them to a max effort single. No reason to limit the weight.

Do them to a max effort single. No reason to limit the weight.

Well, that works if you're using them as a max effort exercise, and not multiple sub-maximal sets / assistance.

*EDIT*
also, if someone hasn't done deficit deads before, it would be good to get used to them first, before using them as an ME exercise.

Last edited:
Well, that works if you're using them as a max effort exercise, and not multiple sub-maximal sets / assistance.

*EDIT*
also, if someone hasn't done deficit deads before, it would be good to get used to them first, before using them as an ME exercise.

First time I ever used them was as a max effort exercise... And I think they work best as a max effort or heavy weight exercise. They are not dangerous unless you are using too extreme of a deficit.

Back