Defending Situp (hip bump) sweep

bjj wrestler

White Belt
Reaction score
Well it just seems like when I roll with good people defending the situp sweep is a real problem for me. It seems like if I defend it by bear hugging or collapsing into my opponent then I get caught in a guillotine, kimura, or even triangle. Anyone know a good defense to this sweep?

what about passing the guard standing instead?

also keep your hands on his stomach instead of the floor.

For the most part I try to do my passing from standing, but occasionally they will break my posture down and as soon as I get posture they will try situp sweep. They can do the situp sweep even when my hands are off the mat.

As soon as he starts to sit up, I like push down on his hip with the palm of my hand while keeping my lead arm still feeding the lapel together. (push down on his R hip if he is trying to sit up to the left.) When you push down on the hip in concert with your lead arm it creates a sensation in your opponent that he cant sit up very easily. I have many training partners who are very good at this sweep and this has been effective for me.

If he is able to sit up all the way and beat my first layer of defense, i do this:

fast forward to about 50 seconds

YouTube - 2010 - Roger v. unknown

For the most part I try to do my passing from standing, but occasionally they will break my posture down and as soon as I get posture they will try situp sweep. They can do the situp sweep even when my hands are off the mat.

then once your posture is broken, put each hand into each respective arm pit and do a knee slice guard pass.

^exactly - low posture = hands in biceps/armpits.

if you spend time drilling the pass defense to the hip bump mentioned above, you'll want for people to go for this sweep. it's usually a great free pass. it's gotten so alot of the guys i train with won't even go for the hip bump anymore, which is kindofa bummer.

edit - i just noticed that pass counter isn't really mentioned. duh.

here's a vid that kinda shows what i mean. i don't find the going to the back to be an option for me usually. once the sweep is stuffed, my partner will lay back down but i maintain control of the leg and as he's going flat, i come over the leg for the pass.

Last edited:
The vid is cool but I am not sure it is gonna work.

It is due to the fact that Uke (blue belt) is not doing the sweep properly at the first place.

Plus worst case, purple belt put both hands on the mats which means an automatic kimura or omoplata as he attempt his guard pass.

easiest thing to avoid this is to stick your head into his chest (shoulders tucked so you dont get marcelotined) and you dont even have to press him down into the mat again either, you just completely stop his upward motion with your head and it becomes hard for him to hold the angle, and he falls back down again.

A purple belt (now brown) used to ALWAYS took my back when I was trying the hip bump/sit up... by waiting for me to open the guard, and then stepping over my right leg (if I was attacking with my right arm over his shoulder) and then quickly going for my back. Or if I was fast enough I just ended in bottom half, but anyway I stop using it against him as it was impossible to hit :) (well as anything else, but particularly this).

I use too this method and I suggest it, just watch out for the risk of kimura.

Raise your hips up high and post your hands on their hips if possible. If you can't post hands on their hips, it's enough just to raise your hips all the way up most of the time. For the sweep to work, they have to bump their hips into your mid/upper torso. If you raise your hips, the target area is too high and they bump their hips into your hips which doesn't do much imo

That's my favorite sweep, it's amazing how much it's under utilized. Umm good posture is how to beat it. It's really only good if the person is sitting up and tends to be sitting just too far backwards. It pairs really nicely with the Flower sweep since after you almost sweep them with a bump sweep assuming they stuff it your opponent will then try to post a leg to try to break your guard and tends to over compensate by sitting too far forward making the Flower sweep really easy to pull off.

The vid is cool but I am not sure it is gonna work.

It is due to the fact that Uke (blue belt) is not doing the sweep properly at the first place.

Plus worst case, purple belt put both hands on the mats which means an automatic kimura or omoplata as he attempt his guard pass.

agreed 100%, however in the 2min i spent on my exhaustive search :icon_chee this was the only thing i found that showed controlling the leg during the sweep. i find that as long as i don't do something stupid and actually get swept, that when people go for this sweep, it's a free pass for me via shutting down that cocked leg.

A purple belt (now brown) used to ALWAYS took my back when I was trying the hip bump/sit up... by waiting for me to open the guard, and then stepping over my right leg (if I was attacking with my right arm over his shoulder) and then quickly going for my back. Or if I was fast enough I just ended in bottom half, but anyway I stop using it against him as it was impossible to hit :) (well as anything else, but particularly this).

I use too this method and I suggest it, just watch out for the risk of kimura.

I was going to mention this back-take too, which is a good one, although it does rely on timing and speed (I've only hit it a couple of times).

Like the Happy Gilmore movie reminds us..."It's all in the hips."

Lazy method: If you're going against someone that has no idea what they're doing... Arm-triangle them from their guard.

Other then that... Hands on the belly is the best way to go IMO. Don't even give them the option for it.

As soon as he starts to sit up, I like push down on his hip with the palm of my hand while keeping my lead arm still feeding the lapel together. (push down on his R hip if he is trying to sit up to the left.) When you push down on the hip in concert with your lead arm it creates a sensation in your opponent that he cant sit up very easily. I have many training partners who are very good at this sweep and this has been effective for me.

If he is able to sit up all the way and beat my first layer of defense, i do this:

in this video, when he counters the sweep is he not open for the reverse armbar? with reverse armbar I mean the one where he keeps rogers hand on his shoulder and pull on rogers elbow with his hands. something similar to this:
YouTube - Reverse armbar from the guard

Thanks, that was helpful

^exactly - low posture = hands in biceps/armpits.

if you spend time drilling the pass defense to the hip bump mentioned above, you'll want for people to go for this sweep. it's usually a great free pass. it's gotten so alot of the guys i train with won't even go for the hip bump anymore, which is kindofa bummer.

edit - i just noticed that pass counter isn't really mentioned. duh.

here's a vid that kinda shows what i mean. i don't find the going to the back to be an option for me usually. once the sweep is stuffed, my partner will lay back down but i maintain control of the leg and as he's going flat, i come over the leg for the pass.

I see what you mean, when I try to counter by taking the back if I don't time it perfectly I usually get swept. Thanks

easiest thing to avoid this is to stick your head into his chest (shoulders tucked so you dont get marcelotined) and you dont even have to press him down into the mat again either, you just completely stop his upward motion with your head and it becomes hard for him to hold the angle, and he falls back down again.

Very helpful. Last time I tried to defend against a purple belt he got me with the marcelo guillotine. My chin was full tucked and I still got choked after a while, the marcelotine is very nasty lol.

That's my favorite sweep, it's amazing how much it's under utilized. Umm good posture is how to beat it. It's really only good if the person is sitting up and tends to be sitting just too far backwards. It pairs really nicely with the Flower sweep since after you almost sweep them with a bump sweep assuming they stuff it your opponent will then try to post a leg to try to break your guard and tends to over compensate by sitting too far forward making the Flower sweep really easy to pull off.

Sounds cool, I will have to try that thanks.

Back