Deep Thoughts on Drugs

Ahh the old drug debate!

When I was younger I tried a few different things, pot, speeded a bit, coke for a laugh, acid and E'd a few times as well. Experimentation is natural for a lot of people and we can enevr expect to kill curiosity.

I joined the Army at 18 and stopped everything for 4 years, and when i got out, smoked dope 3 times and speeded once.

A long time friend of mine is one of the few people I know who has become almost dependent on pot, even if it cannot be proven, he literally rolls out of bed, sparks up a bong, then goes and has breakfast. the guy is a qualified teacher, but doesn't want to work, to easy to get the dole and do fuck all else. he has a daughter who is 3 and an ex wife who left before he got worse. he has tried to suicide 3 times.
he has never taken anything stronger than pot, not even laced with anything.

some people just shouldn't be alowed near anything mind altering. he has changed from a guy with a future, to a bum, with half the brain power he once had and even less of the motivation.

recreational use is one thing, compulsive use is another. Alcoholics are in the same boat, as are smokers. Should dope be legal? Where i am it is decriminlaised and you can grow for personal use, just a fine if caught smoking in public etc. It seems to work ok, but whether it is right, I am unsure

Originally posted by skyboat

1)Actually it is only a popular myth that marijuana is non-addictive.
2)Pot can actually trigger scizophrenic episodes in an esimated 1 in 1000 people.
3)Driving whilst stoned is as fucked up and irrisponsible as drink driving.
4)Pot should be legal because then a government can implement a policy of harm minimisation rather that focus on procecuting users.

Not meaning to pick on you scat but the reality is that any drug you take has an element of danger, infact on a more rediculous note you can even OD on water--drink approx 20 litres in an hour should do it depending on you size. I do agree with you point that alcohol is certainly worse than pot in many ways particularly its social impact.

Yep. you can die of over-hydration.

Guess I should weigh in on this for at least one reason.

I would legalize Marijuana as well as every other drug including heroin and crack. My reason is simple, freedom to choose and the people can decide whether to do it or not. It's a bitch supporting liberty to such an extent because the rational end of support, ends up being so much freedom that law is unsupportable on the whole. Which brings me to chaos and the whole fun world of anarchy.

Originally posted by FightTilYouDie
Drugs are for losers with a weak character.

Have you never had a drink, taken paracetomol, smoked a cigarette, drank coffee? These are all drugs, just the government decided they were the illegal ones. Don't believe for a second it's based on health risks either. That would be ill-informed and very naive.

I've been taking drugs off and on for 15 years. In that time I got a degree (BEng) in electronics engineering, a research masters (MRes) in telecommunications engineering and I have an extremely well paid job. I manage to train more than 10 hours a week and, most importantly, I am the happiest, most content person I know.

FTYD, can you clarify your point a little more? I understand the character part but, as an answer to the legalization of illicit narcotics what do you have to say? Would you give the "losers" the freedom to choose?

Originally posted by Matt in Oz

I've been taking drugs off and on for 15 years. In that time I got a degree (BEng) in electronics engineering, a research masters (MRes) in telecommunications engineering and I have an extremely well paid job. I manage to train more than 10 hours a week and, most importantly, I am the happiest, most content person I know.

GoYou.gif

Originally posted by RAZOR
FTYD, can you clarify your point a little more? I understand the character part but, as an answer to the legalization of illicit narcotics what do you have to say? Would you give the "losers" the freedom to choose?

Yes, I would legalize the drugs.

Some things are more desired when prohibited, and in addition, their illegality creates a huge market for a variety of crime

Originally posted by Matt in Oz

Thanks for the erudite response

What reply did you expect? Your statements above just prove that drugs create an illusionary world. I didn't wanna burst your bubble but since you followed up..

Yes, I would legalize the drugs.

I knew you couldn't agree with Red Dragon on something like this. My faith in this board is almost fully restored.

Users are losers and losers are users who can't find their stash:p

Originally posted by FightTilYouDie

What reply did you expect? Your statements above just prove that drugs create an illusionary world. I didn't wanna burst your bubble but since you followed up..

So what do you want to see? Degree certificates? Bank statements? Payslips?

So what do you want to see?

I'd actually like to see a monkey, a little one, shaved, greased taught to walk backwards holding a coconut in one hand and a marble in the other, who could clearly state one word "apricot" over and over again.

Pardon the interruption and continue with the debate.

Originally posted by RAZOR

I'd actually like to see a monkey, a little one, shaved, greased taught to walk backwards holding a coconut in one hand and a marble in the other, who could clearly state one word "apricot" over and over again.

Pardon the interruption and continue with the debate.

:rolleyes: :D :D

You see, razor wouldn't be that funny without his substances. I guess they're good for something then.

Hey, the sick part is I am straightedge which opens up a whole other can of worms.

Well, besides the alcohol and binge coffee drinking.

That reminds me of the mach3 thread we had before you resurrected yourself. I thought there "where the fuck is razor now?" I'll try to find that bitch..

Back