deep half guard in mma (Shogun)

condoriano

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Why don't more fighters work on a deep half guard, like the one Shogun uses for sweeps/ leg lock attempts. I think the only guy Shogun couldn't sweep from that position was Jones.
It is also a safe position, as you are protected from hard punches.

Why don't more fighters work on a deep half guard, like the one Shogun uses for sweeps/ leg lock attempts. I think the only guy Shogun couldn't sweep from that position was Jones.

big nog do it even batter

Deep half can be dangerous on somebody with excellent base or deep half defense, you're head is open for the taking. You have to be very slick with the position to work it well in MMA.

Gustavo falciroli worked it quite well against Bibano Fernandes in his recent OneFC fight, but there aint too many who go to it.

big nog do it even batter

Asian+face+is+best+meme+_74c837cd8806370c27860c5910f09ac3.png

Last edited:
Shogun's sweeps don't come from deep half.
A lot of people just don't have the technique to sweep from there.

Big Nog went for one in his last fight, I don't recall Shogun attempting to enter deep half. Correct me to fights and rounds if I'm wrong.

Shogun goes for a Helicopter sweep and an underhook to stand back up. You can see him do that against Machida in the 2nd fight. But I don't recall him utilizing deep half...?

Edit: Helicopter Sweep is what Rogan called it and what I call it, but it's just a variation of the pendulum/windmill sweep from full guard (sort of) and could be called alot of names.

The Nog brothers and Fabricio Werdum have shown some good skills with this.

and the thing about it is when someone is striking u from top of half, they cant stop u and pressure u from getting up under their hips into deep half. i have no idea why it isnt used more, i saw big nog use it vs herman but he wasnt very effective with it. shogun gets into the position and instead of sweeping from it hell go into a leglock position, but still sets it up from the deep half. highly under utilized guard in MMA.

You run the danger of leaving your head exposed since striking is involved, especially against someone bigger or with a good base <- See the Jones fight
Jones controlled Shogun's neck with his arms, and watched for Shogun's favorite moves from the bottom (deep half, leg locks, triangle threat etc).

Feijao did a nice sweep from deep half on Hendo.

I'm always suprised thay every fighter doesnt develop a solid half guard. That would be a lot of what I would work if I were a fighter. Aside from nogs game I would also use a lot of Eddie bravos game like the lockdown to oldschool sweep, etc.

I'm always suprised thay every fighter doesnt develop a solid half guard. That would be a lot of what I would work if I were a fighter. Aside from nogs game I would also use a lot of Eddie bravos game like the lockdown to oldschool sweep, etc.

I think you should train before deciding that half-guard is a magical position that sweeps everyone.

I think you should train before deciding that half-guard is a magical position that sweeps everyone.

I love half guard but this statement says it all. If you arent active enough especially against high level guys you're going to get killed.

i still would say mma doesnt utilize many strong half guard sweeps that u see in no gi bjj. im not talking about tornado guards etc, but i think things like x guard and one legged x could be utilized in mma

if you botch your entry to deep half, you could end up in a half guard with only one arm to defend. I'm guessing that plays a decent factor. there have been times when i rolled with much larger opponents that this has happened to me and i could imagine if striking were allowed, I'd be rather defenseless.

Burying your head seems like a good idea imo, can't hit the back of the head.

It's just a riskier position, half guard allows you more movement from the bottom, but it also allows the guy on top more freedom. Add this to the fact that striking is allowed in MMA where the top guy will then get an automatic huge advantage as he is striking from top position and its a scary place for the guy on the bottom.

If you watch a lot of people with a strong G'n'P game and they generally like to be put in any form of half as they can maintain control of the guy and generate a lot more power to hit him.

I think a lot of what works in straight BJJ goes out of the window as soon as you introduce strikes.

OP, shogun doesn't use deep half guard. please stop.

The reason you don't see a lot of it is because deep half puts you in an atrocious position to be punched and difficult to get out of if you get stuffed. If you want to use it in mma, you have to just go for it and be prepared to immediately sweep, come up with a leg, or bail. This means you can't really be as tight as the position demands which is why a lot of people that do use deep half end up losing the position. I guess that's ok because losing it often means getting off bottom, but there is certainly a risk of danger to putting your stuffing your head next to the thigh.

The best use of deep half guard in mma was from Andre Galvao. Watch his fight with Jason High.

Back