deep half guard in mma (Shogun)

Guys are more worried about protecting themselves from a sweep or strikes so they don't take as many chances with it

I think a lot of what works in straight BJJ goes out of the window as soon as you introduce strikes.

Exactly. Deep half in MMA gets you elbowed and pounded on by anyone with a good base. Hiding your head doesn't work all that well when the top guy just stuffs your face into the mat. Escaping out the back door from deep half has a better chance of success, but most of the time guys on bottom will just use the lockdown or a strong overhook from regular half guard to stall out for a ref standup and to protect their face.

Burying your head seems like a good idea imo, can't hit the back of the head.

Yeah but then you are stuck carrying all the weight of the opponent on your chest and if he knows how to maintain top position when you go to deep half then you're fucked.

Yeah but then you are stuck carrying all the weight of the opponent on your chest and if he knows how to maintain top position when you go to deep half then you're fucked.

actually a lot of times when you're in deep half, it really doesn't feel like you're carrying that much weight because of how your opponent has to respond. At least in my experience.

Nog brothers, Werdum and Vinny use it well, but I agree with you people could use it better.

Nog brothers, Werdum and Vinny use it well, but I agree with you people could use it better.

Yes, but the thing is that Werdum, Nog brothers and Vinny are some of THE highest black belts if not the highest in MMA.

HybridTrainingPart123.gif

Back