decisions with my sons training

i disagree
sports and hobbies keep you healthy
education does very little for you if you dont have connections in the modern world you can have a doctorate and not be able to get a job (I know dozens with masters that can't get employment).

There is just as much chance for someone to become the next sports star as their is for them to become the next stephen hawking.
and im saying this as someone about to get a degree
and I have not really learned anything in my 4 years of post secondary eductation that I couldnt have got reading off of wikipedia.

but high school and elementary school are easy, if you cant get a's and b's in those without trying you have no chance at ever being some super scientist or lawyer or businessman anyways, so you may as well give up on your education and start shooting free throws.

Or get a job at a local department store. The experience there will at least be applicable to a work place (unlike school experience).

Make no mistake that a degree is primarily an expensive piece of paper that pries open doors. However, you have probably learned a lot more than you think is practically applicable at this time.

Moreover, in today's increasingly competitive job market, I would encourage kids to go for as much education as possible. When I entered the job market, you could get into entry level jobs with no degree and no experience, and an MBA would put you straight into a nice cushy job. Today, we have MBAs all over the place, many of them in entry-level jobs....and even scarier, a lot of these kids are still pursuing PhDs. I give it a generation or two before the new kid in the mail room insists on being called "Doctor".

So yes, not everyone is going to be a rocket scientist, but kids should get an education as a backup plan to whatever dream they want to pursue. But they should still pursue their dream, because there are few things worse than looking back on life and knowing you didn't at least try your best to get what you really wanted.

Sounds like he needs a different BJJ school. The class you describe doesn't sound like a typical BJJ childs class to me.

Back