decisions with my sons training

hi i was just wondering if i could get some advice please in regards to my sons training.
he is six years old, he does judo twice a week, wrestling once a week and bjj once a week. he absolutely loves wrestling and judo but he is getting fed up with the bjj. the instructor doesnt teach a kids class as such, but however what he does is teach gracie anti bully techniques but as a parent you have to be your childs training partner as the instructor doesnt supervise the kids.
however im 5,9 and 250lbs and my son just struggles with the ergonomics of it all. occasionally he gets to train with another dad who is 140lbs and he loves it. its at the point now where he doesnt wanna go to bjj anymore. ive got back into my powerlifting the last few years and ive kinda piled on the pounds!
please dont think im one of those pushy dads living there dreams through there kids, my son grew up on the sidelines of my wrestling club and just loves it all.
ive tried searching for another local bjj club that runs a kids class but the only semi local one that does doesnt start kids until there at least eight.
so i guess my question is will he miss out much not doing the gracie anti bully sylabus? he sees some of the kids in the older classes coming in with medals and he tells me cant wait to win some.
will his judo and wrestling be a good enough base? i feel he is pretty lucky going to a wrestling club as they are as rare as rocking horse shit in the uk.
any advice on what i can be working on with my son would be greatly appreciated.
the last thing i wanna do is force him to do is go to bjj when he isnt enjoying it.
thank you.

Ask him if he wants you to try to find him a kids bjj class. Rolling with other children will be more fun for him and benefit him more in learning moves. If he just doesn't seem interested in bjj right now, let him try it out again when he is a little older.

Whatever fool.

My oldest son just finished college 2 years ago, has a pretty good paying job. When he was little, he said he's going to be the next Michael Jordan. I said no you're not, just stay in school. He didn't even make the JV basketball team. I had to tell him "I TOLD YOU SO!" and then he started listening and concentrate on school work a lot more.

I have a neighbor that pushed his son so hard, he actually bragged about his son is going to be the next Tom Brady. Yea fucking right! I even told him few years ago, his son won't even make it to be a college QB. He laughed in my face and said "you will see!" So middle of the varsity season, his son broke his leg, couldn't play football anymore. And then my neighbor stopped bragging anymore after that. What's worst is his son thinks he's going to be a hot shit jock, didn't concentrate on school work, and did very bad in school. He's now a jobless loser living at home with his loser parents. I sometimes walk by their house while my neighbor is mowing his lawn and said " So what's up with your so-called Tom Brady wannabe now huh?! " And he didn't say shit. Feel so good to be right!

You see, don't have high expectations. Your kids ain't going to be the next Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Kobe, or Jordan. Just encourage your kids to concentrate on school work. EDUCATION COMES FIRST!

You are a very bitter man

I don't understand some of these people... you would rather your child be an unmotivated little shit in front of a TV instead of introducing him to sports and encouraging them to take them up. Who fucking thinks they are going to retire on their sons BJJ skills, nobody anywhere.

The benefits of BJJ/Wrestling/Judo aren't the possible aspirations of becoming a superstar but in my opinion any child who is in the BJJ lifestyle at such a young age will grow up with self confidence and integrity amongst a shit load of other virtues. Patience. Humility. Ego.

. I don't know about you guys but at my BJJ school most of the adults are successful professionals. Who woundn't want their kids around motivating successful people ?

All you whiteknights hating on this guy are idiots.

I'm just saying to not push the kid in something he doesn't enjoy right now. It doesn't have to be extreme. I think the majority of people want him to put his kid in an activity that the child enjoys.

No one said allow the child to sit in front of the tv.

sorry i started a thread that has caused so many arguments
my main intention was to make sure my son isnt missing out on anything. he loves his wrestling and judo but doesnt enjoy the bjj because of having to train with me.
the only other close bjj club starts kids kids at eight so im gonna take peoples advice and let him leave bjj for 2 years and give another try when hes older and see if he enjoys it with kids his own size.
i was gonna ask if i should purchase the gjj antibully dvds but im not gonna bother.

In any case, you should proud of your son for apparently having a good work ethic, along with being able to follow instructions, at a young age. I wish my pop had signed me up for judo and wrestling when I was a kid!

I'm just saying to not push the kid in something he doesn't enjoy right now. It doesn't have to be extreme. I think the majority of people want him to put his kid in an activity that the child enjoys.

No one said allow the child to sit in front of the tv.

I think the wisdom is somewhere between the extremes of "don't make him do anything he doesn't enjoy" and "force him to stick with it no matter what".

The kid is six. Kids at that age can be very fickle with their interests. It's a parents job to let a kid try new things. It's also a parent's job to teach a kid that when they commit to something, they shouldn't just shrug that off the moment something else catches their attention. Why not? Because that's a great way to waste a lot of time and money being terrible at a wide variety of different things. You're literally teaching the kid to settle for mediocrity and give up.

If the kid is just consistently hating life because of it, yeah pull him out. But don't do it just because he has a bad week or two, or thinks he wants to try badminton or whatever.

There's this young instructor at my dojo who has his black belt in karate and a brown belt in jiu-jitsu. He's about 25 IIRC, and started when he was in his late teens. He said "the most valuable thing I learned on my way to black belt was how to become really good at something. it's like it teaches you how to learn, and you can apply that same mindset to other things that have nothing to do with martial arts and it still works." And it's true...the guy is good at everything he decides he wants to do. Doesn't matter if it's martial arts, Xbox games, or his schoolwork. He knows how to focus himself to learn and perform at a high level. That's what you want to make sure your kid gets out of his experience, whether he becomes a grappling champion or ultimately retires at 11 to play a different sport.

I think the wisdom is somewhere between the extremes of "don't make him do anything he doesn't enjoy" and "force him to stick with it no matter what".

The kid is six. Kids at that age can be very fickle with their interests. It's a parents job to let a kid try new things. It's also a parent's job to teach a kid that when they commit to something, they shouldn't just shrug that off the moment something else catches their attention. Why not? Because that's a great way to waste a lot of time and money being terrible at a wide variety of different things. You're literally teaching the kid to settle for mediocrity and give up.

If the kid is just consistently hating life because of it, yeah pull him out. But don't do it just because he has a bad week or two, or thinks he wants to try badminton or whatever.

There's this young instructor at my dojo who has his black belt in karate and a brown belt in jiu-jitsu. He's about 25 IIRC, and started when he was in his late teens. He said "the most valuable thing I learned on my way to black belt was how to become really good at something. it's like it teaches you how to learn, and you can apply that same mindset to other things that have nothing to do with martial arts and it still works." And it's true...the guy is good at everything he decides he wants to do. Doesn't matter if it's martial arts, Xbox games, or his schoolwork. He knows how to focus himself to learn and perform at a high level. That's what you want to make sure your kid gets out of his experience, whether he becomes a grappling champion or ultimately retires at 11 to play a different sport.

What a great response. I'm going to save this and refer to it as my kids get older.

sorry i started a thread that has caused so many arguments
my main intention was to make sure my son isnt missing out on anything. he loves his wrestling and judo but doesnt enjoy the bjj because of having to train with me.
the only other close bjj club starts kids kids at eight so im gonna take peoples advice and let him leave bjj for 2 years and give another try when hes older and see if he enjoys it with kids his own size.
i was gonna ask if i should purchase the gjj antibully dvds but im not gonna bother.

if self defense is also a concern of yours, his wrestling and judo will be far more valueable to him than the GJJ antibully dvds.

don't be sorry. It's just some people aren't mature enough to discuss things on an intelligent level without bashing others

Listen dumbass, I complained about you rubbing in your son's face that he didn't make the basketball team. I think it's reasonable to tell him he's not going to be the next MJ. Learn to read dipshit.

By the way, how old is your son and how much does he make? I'm 25-30 and make six figures but I can't afford a house right now because do you know what the average house price is where I live? 1 million dollars. So in summary, go fuck yourself LOSER :)

My son is 26 and he bought an apartment in NYC that's over 1 million. And hey loser, 1 million dollar houses are plenty in my neighborhood. LOL! So you definitely don't make six figures. BUSTED!!!!! How's mommy's basement doing there for you?
:icon_chee:icon_chee

Last edited:
My son is 26 and he bought an apartment in NYC that's over 1 million. And hey loser, 1 million dollar houses are plenty in my neighborhood. LOL! So you definitely don't make six figures. BUSTED!!!!! How's mommy's basement doing there for you?

So your in your 40s and this is how you behave?

Pushy parents are annoying. I hate seeing kids with parents who thinks they're the next big thing when they're not. Listen, your kid is not going to be the next LeBron James or Michael Jordan, so stop dreaming!

technically somebodies kid will be the next lbj or mj.

Parenting is a bit of a paradox.
If you make your kids do homework all the time and only accept A's and B's and then make them go to university your a good parent... but if you try to make them do sports you are a bad parent?
seems stupid to me.

i hope he enjoys being in debt forever,
1 million dollars on an apartment? what a waste of money hahaha!i wouldnt pay that for the luxury suite anywhere

Can't TS just tell his kid to find some other kid that is willing to train BJJ and teach them some shits and let them roll around?

technically somebodies kid will be the next lbj or mj.

Parenting is a bit of a paradox.
If you make your kids do homework all the time and only accept A's and B's and then make them go to university your a good parent... but if you try to make them do sports you are a bad parent?
seems stupid to me.

Yes. Sports should not be the focus. Education is. We need to see more parents pushing their kids to win science fair projects, etc. Not trying to be the next Kobe, MJ, or LeBron James.

Like I said, if someone said their son is going to be the next Marcelo Garcia, Roger Gracie, Anderson Silva, Tiger Woods, Kobe, or whatever... I'll just laugh in their face and said "YEA RIGHT! KEEP DREAMING! JUST TELL YOUR KID TO STAY IN SCHOOL!"

That would be the best advice ever because when athletics fail, you got education to fall back on.

Education is #1 priority. Sports is just a hobby.

Yes. Sports should not be the focus. Education is. We need to see more parents pushing their kids to win science fair projects, etc. Not trying to be the next Kobe, MJ, or LeBron James.

Like I said, if someone said their son is going to be the next Marcelo Garcia, Roger Gracie, Anderson Silva, Tiger Woods, Kobe, or whatever... I'll just laugh in their face and said "YEA RIGHT! KEEP DREAMING! JUST TELL YOUR KID TO STAY IN SCHOOL!"

That would be the best advice ever because when athletics fail, you got education to fall back on.

i disagree
sports and hobbies keep you healthy
education does very little for you if you dont have connections in the modern world you can have a doctorate and not be able to get a job (I know dozens with masters that can't get employment).

There is just as much chance for someone to become the next sports star as their is for them to become the next stephen hawking.
and im saying this as someone about to get a degree
and I have not really learned anything in my 4 years of post secondary eductation that I couldnt have got reading off of wikipedia.

but high school and elementary school are easy, if you cant get a's and b's in those without trying you have no chance at ever being some super scientist or lawyer or businessman anyways, so you may as well give up on your education and start shooting free throws.

Or get a job at a local department store. The experience there will at least be applicable to a work place (unlike school experience).

So your son is making decent pay in one post, and buying million dollar condos in another?

You should stay more consistent with your lies

Pushy parents are annoying. I hate seeing kids with parents who thinks they're the next big thing when they're not. Listen, your kid is not going to be the next LeBron James or Michael Jordan, so stop dreaming!

How the fuck do you think they DO get those superstars?

I wish I was in BJJ, wrestling and Judo at 6.

Fuck yes, just don't push him if he doesn't like it, but if what you say is true then have at it!

do you know what it takes to be successful in sports? why would you automatically shut down everyone who says something similar? As long as education is stressed (and they are doing well) there is no reason to not do sports. Do you know everyone's kids, their capacity, toughness, learning curve, persistance, and dedication to automatically assume everyone is going to fail?

If Julio Cesar were like you, we would never have heard of Rodolfo Vieira as his dad wanted Rodolfo to enroll in university (which isn't wrong) whereas Julio asked the father to hold off on it for a little while. Then Rodolfo let himself be known to the world

You stink of troll in every thread I've seen you post in, especially this one.

Back