Deciding between two books

And maybe to supplement your takedowns you can try Canon of Judo by Kyuzo Mifune.

JABobo3 said:
f*ck all that. If you're think of getting the renzo/royler book just get Gracie Jiu-Jitsu by Helio. Tons o shit for you.

No worries here man, I already got mine signed and personalised to ME by the Helio himself! Yeah, that's right. I rule.

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]No worries here man, I already got mine signed and personalised to ME by the Helio himself! Yeah, that's right. I rule.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much money you could make on eBay with that shit.

I don't know much about Simco's lif3e and what he did, and if you want to boycott his products thats fine, but I have his Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: The Master Text (I don't think it is the most current edition though) and have found it to be an excelent BJJ instuctional tool. He may not be a black belt for real, but his book does a good job of introducing BJJ and is well organized. Drawbacks are that it's pages are not glossy, and there is no color, but what he shows is clear enough as is.

I have seen his BJJ basic book, and in my oppinion your better off with the Master text.

As I said, I don't know what Simco has done, whether he has "bought" his belts or not, just know that his was the first book I bought, and I still feel it was a good investment.

the Techniques of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (Paperback) 572 pages
by Montanha

Link; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...00427/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/103-6899956-0311837

Reviews; on Amazon.com, its on sale right now for $34.02

Cesar Gracie , July 4 2004
The techniques are easy to understand and detailed with the appropriate setup and execution .

the Students of Gracie Sport Center , Pleasant Hill , Calif. April 10,2003
"Its the Jiu-jitsu Bible"

Great Buy for the BJJ Guy (or Girl), July 15, 2005
Reviewer: Thomas H. Schinaman (Tokyo, Japan) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I'm a Ralph Gracie purple belt* and have been studying BJJ for (cough) nine years. Unlike many of my jiu-jitsu compatriots, I had never watched an instructional DVD or picked up a BJJ book until a couple of years ago. This wasn't because I thought my game didn't need improvement. There was no question it did. I simply never thought it worth the money when I was already blessed with so many great training partners and teachers at the Ralph Gracie Academy.

But I finally splurged and bought some DVDs and books after realizing that my JJ was stagnating...and immediately saw what I'd been missing. What I'd been missing was this: You can learn an awful lot of BJJ from instructional DVDs and books. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Since then I've put together a nice little library of BJJ DVDs and books. The books include most of the volumes co-authored by Kid Peligro and Rigan Machado's Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. These books are hard to beat in terms of number of techniques, level of detail and production values (Machado's Encyclopedia is lacking in detail but makes up for this in terms of the sheer number of moves).

So The Techniques of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ("TTBJJ") had a lot to live up to in my mind. Still, I risked the wrath of my wife ("Another book!?!") and shelled out the $45.00. What I got in the mail a few days later took me by surprise, despite having read the other reviews here. This is a wonderful book.

Is this a highly polished book by a "big name" BJJ guy with glossy photos and slick cover art? No. Do you get tons of written detail a la Jean Jacques Machado's books or Royler Gracie's submission grappling volume? No.

What you do get, however, is more techniques than you will know what to do with and just enough detail to be able to figure out the missing parts for yourself on the mat. This book is massive - I sat down with it the other day looking at "attacks from the guard" and ended up spending two hours without even realizing it...and hadn't read more than 10-15 pages.

Some of the techniques you will have seen before either on the mat or in other books or videos -- this is unavoidable. But there is a lot here you likely haven't seen -- new variations of old moves or new moves altogether -- and this is what makes it so fun to just sit and flip through this book. It really is a "jiu jitsu bible" of sorts.

TTBJJ is self-published and was obviously a labor of love. This is another reason I like the book so much. As another reviewer mentions here, TTBJJ has the feel of a notebook, and Montanha confirms on the back cover that it's actually based on his own training notes. He must have taken a hell of a lot of notes.

The explanations in the book are sparse at times, but on the whole they are better than what you'll find in Rigan Machado's Encyclopedia. And Montanha could definitely have used an editor. I was going to say a good editor, but any editing would have been an improvement. Moreover, the photos aren't great -- they really are photocopies, as one reviewer here points out. But they aren't that bad either. You should be able to figure things out with the help of the explanations.

This is a special book, and if you are a BJJ devotee, it belongs on your bookshelf. The $45.00 is well worth it, especially given that the book isn't put out by some big publishing company.

*Montanha has trained under both Ralph and Cesar Gracie. Just for the record, I've never met him.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory & Technique - Renzo & Royler Gracie ---- THAT is the first one to get. I agree 100%. I have most of hte others. But this one is the best IMO.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique is outstanding

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]No worries here man, I already got mine signed and personalised to ME by the Helio himself! Yeah, that's right. I rule.[/QUOTE]

He signed mine in person...

To anybody that bought the Gracie master text, is it worth the money? How does it compare to the other good books out there?

johil d'o said:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory & Technique - Renzo & Royler Gracie ---- THAT is the first one to get. I agree 100%. I have most of hte others. But this one is the best IMO.

For all the numerous commendations on this book, have you realised that certain details are never used, sometimes not even by the gracies themselves?

Examples? Sure.

Turn to the page on the achilles lock. Say u use ya right arm to lock his leg[whichever]. They in the book say to place ya right arm on ya left, then place ya left hand on his leg.

We all know, and do watch Royler vs Sudo, that the most effective and popular[perhaps only?] way, is to pull up with the left too, not place it down.

Another one is the knee bar. Turn to the page. Say you are barring his leg. We all know its commonsense to kick back with both legs to get maximum leverage [ Just see Shammrock or all others I hav seen who have really submitted guys on matches]

However, from the detail they teach, one of ya legs will be useless. In fact, the force they teach to apply will be in the opposite direction, just as for the first case.

I practically had to unlearn some of what they taught. And this is not having gone thru the whole book.

To balance it up, yes, by and large the main things are there. But strange how some of the details, which were lauded, can b so misleading.

Comments welcomed

Resident A-hole said:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory & Technique - Renzo & Royler Gracie

I have this book & it's great. I consider it sorta like a BJJ bible, I'm always going back & looking up stuff in it. Lots of detail & great photos of the moves. It covers all the basics & goes into a lot of advanced moves. Especially with you being very new to BJJ, I strongly suggest it.

I've been planning on buying this book for a while.

Theory & Technique is killer for getting down your basics, which most of us desk-jockeys really need to polish up. Clear, concise explanations. This, in my opinion, is the most practical and down to earth jiu-jitsu book I've seen. Royler's submission grappling is alright, but specialized, geared more for high level ADCC stuff, and won't fill you in on essential basics (which I'm sure they assume you should know). T&T=awesome book.

Why are you going to buy a book? You are brand new to BJJ. Go to class, watch others, and roll. You are too early in your time to be worrying about supplementing your training. Not trying to be a dick, but what are you going to supplement? You don't even have the basics down yet. You have to crawl before you can walk my friend. Save the money and put it towards a new rash guard or something and buy a book down the road.

Putting money into Simco's pocket should be punished by multiple kicks to the groin.

Brandinho said:
Why are you going to buy a book? You are brand new to BJJ. Go to class, watch others, and roll. You are too early in your time to be worrying about supplementing your training. Not trying to be a dick, but what are you going to supplement? You don't even have the basics down yet. You have to crawl before you can walk my friend. Save the money and put it towards a new rash guard or something and buy a book down the road.
Respectfully, I disagree. I'm a six month white belt and I find books to be a great supplement to training. A book is a like an instructor or DVD with instant pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. Also, you can bring it with you and check out the details of a move whenever you're killing time waiting to get your oil changed, doctor's office, etc.

When you're new things aren't obvious and having a book to reinforce a move's steps is great.

vanguard_anon said:
Respectfully, I disagree. I'm a six month white belt and I find books to be a great supplement to training. A book is a like an instructor or DVD with instant pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. Also, you can bring it with you and check out the details of a move whenever you're killing time waiting to get your oil changed, doctor's office, etc.

When you're new things aren't obvious and having a book to reinforce a move's steps is great.

I agree with you, but you have also been training six months. After a few months I would say sure, get a book if it makes you happy. But he hasn't even been training for a month yet. Personally I feel that is too soon to worry about supplementing training. Think of where you were after only 3 weeks.

Well it's not like I'm taking it to heart. A lot of the techniques my instructor does is in the Gracie book and it's cool to be able to read it when I'm at home to keep it in my head.

Even though I see the techniques in the book I could use the next time I roll I'm not going to use any of them until my instructor teaches it to me.

Back