Death Penalty - for/against?

I am generally against it for a few reasons, except in the most serious of cases. Serial killers, mass murders, and tyrants like Saddam or Assad are all easy 'Yes' votes. Anyone else, its tough to justify unless the case is 100% airtight. And even then I would rather make damn sure the actual execution would go off without a hitch.

Side note: This is one of those odd cases where I think both sides of the aisle in US politics are hypocrites. I cannot fathom how someone can have completely different opinions on the Death Penalty and abortion, but that's just me.

I'm going to give the standard Shertard answer.

I'm for it ... unless of course we are talking about Iran, then I'm going to site reports by Human Rights Watch.

I am for the death penalty if the person guilty of the crime is without a doubt--100% guilty.

Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in 2004 and his case never should have even gone to trial, let alone lead to a conviction, let alone an execution.

Lets say they do find the prosecutor knowing sent an innocent man to his death or at least should have known he was probably innocent.

Then he should be charged with murder or manslaughter. It was a crime and should be treated as such. Any law or system can be abused by bad people and that should be punished. However that does not make the law or the system itself wrong.

Lets say they do find the prosecutor knowing sent an innocent man to his death or at least should have known he was probably innocent.

Then he should be charged with murder or manslaughter. It was a crime and should be treated as such. Any law or system can be abused by bad people and that should be punished. However that does not make the law or the system itself wrong.

Prosecutors do not render judgements.

I support it and in some cases it should happen within days of the murderer getting caught. Case in point, Jeffery Dahmer..

I believe in killing guilty people but I can't support it because that would mean there could be some innocent people killed.

Which in turn makes the state guilty of the very thing they are executing people for in the first place.

Then he should be charged with murder or manslaughter. It was a crime and should be treated as such. Any law or system can be abused by bad people and that should be punished.

Absolutely! But you know damn well that will never happen. We don't have a system where things like that happen. We have a system where innocent people get executed.

I'm all for making sure the person is guilty before killing them.

This is simply impossible.. Being 100% sure 100% of the time would not work and what looks like 100% at the time can be viewed different a few years later ...

Absolutely! But you know damn well that will never happen. We don't have a system where things like that happen. We have a system where innocent people get executed.

I'm for fixing the system not for doing away with it. The same as I'm not giving up my gun because other people misuse theirs.

This is simply impossible.. Being 100% sure 100% of the time would not work and what looks like 100% at the time can be viewed different a few years later ...

There are plenty of cases for the death penalty where guilt is a sure thing, just read the headlines. .

I'm for fixing the system not for doing away with it. The same as I'm not giving up my gun because other people misuse theirs.

Cool. So of course you're okay with a moratorium on capital punishment until the system stops being broken then, yes?

Back