Dealing with wrestlers (**Judo/Randori**)

Never heard of a judo instructor calling himself a grandmaster (or even a master), it sounds pretty goofy in the judo context. Or is that just what his students call him informally out of respect?

he's an 8th dan in hapkido and taekwondo, too.

pull guard. learn to fight off you your back, as they want to be on top. I train with a wrestler who's much stronger and bigger than me and I can't tell you how many times I've triangled him.

Thanks again for the advice everyone! (People in this forum are awesome BTW, I've learned so much from this place.)

VeganMike: I actually enjoy playing guard and do so often. The particular day mentioned above (getting owned by a former wrestler during takedowns in BJJ class) I established guard after each takedown with the exception of a direct transition to an armbar and sweep to mount. I don't feel that excuses poor takedown performance on my part though.

Being able to pull when being taken down is important of course and I enjoy playing the position -- but I don't want to play it out of necessity.

I, personally, would feel imbalanced without a takedown game to complement my ground game. (I do appreciate the honest advice though.)

Back