• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dealing With Mental Affects Of Being Confronted

I’ve got a buddy, at the age of 21*when he was working at Baskin Robbins(yeah, I know), dude got robbed at gun point. He quit and within a few months he decided to be a cop. He didn’t want to be in that position again being helpless. I’m like... so you decided to join a more dangerous job where there is a higher level of you getting killed? Should’ve continued scooping more ice cream. But he’s been a cop for like 16years now.

I've been beaten up a few times I'm just mad that I keep losing fights!

And with good reason. Because your body knows the difference between sanctioned contests in which there are rules & people looking out for your safety & the mayhem that can go down in a brawl. I walked to ring to fight almost 50 times & I was always in control of my breathing & mentally, physically & emotionally prepared for those fights.
But pup brawls, street fights & other violent encounters are a different story. You get that adrenaline dump, your ankles feel loose, your balls rearrange themselves to keep out of harm's way & your throat constricts. All within a matter of seconds & then, you find yourself in the middle of the ugliness & it's usually over within a matter of seconds.
Then, after the adrenaline dump has faded I'm left jittery as hell & when I see the aftermath of what I've done I usually feel some shame. Even if I hated the individual before the violence erupted I feel bad for what I've done. This stems back to when I seriously injured a neighbor who grabbed me by the throat on my back porch in the summer of 1982. I dropped him with a series of punches & he fell face-first off the porch & he landed in such a way that he badly injured his neck & his left arm.
He had to undergo surgery & due to nerve damage, he lost about 50% of the use of his arm. And he was in a wheelchair for over a year. This could have ruined my life had there not been several witnesses that stated that he attacked me & that I responded in self-defense. He also admitted at the hospital that he'd been drinking beforehand.
So, I was cleared of responsibility. But it still left an indelible mark on me.

Possibly the best (serious) post I've ever read on here.

dont be a bitch hit first hit fast hit hard and get out before the cops show up. easy.

Stop being a pussy and man up

That would be my advice

If ur shook, hit the gym, take some boxing or martial arts classes, eat better, lose weight

Learn how to be tougher mentally.

People go after weak targets

And you happened to be that person

Now what are you gonna do about it?

In previous threads he claims to be a BJJ blue belt and has had nearly 100 amateur boxing matches.

Whether any of his stories are real, who knows.

And with good reason. Because your body knows the difference between sanctioned contests in which there are rules & people looking out for your safety & the mayhem that can go down in a brawl. I walked to ring to fight almost 50 times & I was always in control of my breathing & mentally, physically & emotionally prepared for those fights.
But pup brawls, street fights & other violent encounters are a different story. You get that adrenaline dump, your ankles feel loose, your balls rearrange themselves to keep out of harm's way & your throat constricts. All within a matter of seconds & then, you find yourself in the middle of the ugliness & it's usually over within a matter of seconds.
Then, after the adrenaline dump has faded I'm left jittery as hell & when I see the aftermath of what I've done I usually feel some shame. Even if I hated the individual before the violence erupted I feel bad for what I've done. This stems back to when I seriously injured a neighbor who grabbed me by the throat on my back porch in the summer of 1982. I dropped him with a series of punches & he fell face-first off the porch & he landed in such a way that he badly injured his neck & his left arm.
He had to undergo surgery & due to nerve damage, he lost about 50% of the use of his arm. And he was in a wheelchair for over a year. This could have ruined my life had there not been several witnesses that stated that he attacked me & that I responded in self-defense. He also admitted at the hospital that he'd been drinking beforehand.
So, I was cleared of responsibility. But it still left an indelible mark on me.

Exactly. I've mentioned this before, but I spent about 7 years as a bouncer working various major clubs in a major city. Done security in drug trafficking/gang infested rap clubs and in college bars. I've seen more street fights and been in more street fights than I could even begin to total up to a number. It's in the hundreds. Most turn out alright, but a lot have ended in people having permanent repercussions from a stupid fight. I've seen people get murdered in the parking lot over a bar fight. I've had a coworker get shot in the face in front of me and die. I've had another several shootings that resulted in various hospital stays. I've seen people slashed and stabbed. I've seen people break bones. I've personally nearly killed a man with a single punch that went bad when he landed wrong on concrete. That's not even getting to the dozens of people arrested for batteries.

I would do everything I can to avoid a fight. You can win and still lose. My buddy who was shot in the face was killed for kicking out a drunk gang member. Barely even put his hands on the guy, but he went to his car and came back with an AR-15 pistol and shot him. Spilled drinks/fights over women/stepping on shoes. All that "disrespect" will get you hurt.

The most memorable experience was this hip hop club I worked at that was really popular. Well one night the DJ is out back and some dude pulls up in a car and he's got a pistol. Fires off a magazine at the DJ and the DJ busts back into the club from the back door with a gunshot to his leg. Femoral injury, blood is just pouring out. Gunshots were loud enough and the DJ running past everyone was enough to cause a riot in the club. Like 200 people scramble out of the club, busting out the glass of the front of the building to escape. Turns out the DJ was fucking some chick and the girl's boyfriend found out. So he showed up to give street justice. That was a long night with paperwork and statements to the police.

Exactly. I've mentioned this before, but I spent about 7 years as a bouncer working various major clubs in a major city. Done security in drug trafficking/gang infested rap clubs and in college bars. I've seen more street fights and been in more street fights than I could even begin to total up to a number. It's in the hundreds. Most turn out alright, but a lot have ended in people having permanent repercussions from a stupid fight. I've seen people get murdered in the parking lot over a bar fight. I've had a coworker get shot in the face in front of me and die. I've had another several shootings that resulted in various hospital stays. I've seen people slashed and stabbed. I've seen people break bones. I've personally nearly killed a man with a single punch that went bad when he landed wrong on concrete. That's not even getting to the dozens of people arrested for batteries.

I would do everything I can to avoid a fight. You can win and still lose. My buddy who was shot in the face was killed for kicking out a drunk gang member. Barely even put his hands on the guy, but he went to his car and came back with an AR-15 pistol and shot him. Spilled drinks/fights over women/stepping on shoes. All that "disrespect" will get you hurt.

The most memorable experience was this hip hop club I worked at that was really popular. Well one night the DJ is out back and some dude pulls up in a car and he's got a pistol. Fires off a magazine at the DJ and the DJ busts back into the club from the back door with a gunshot to his leg. Femoral injury, blood is just pouring out. Gunshots were loud enough and the DJ running past everyone was enough to cause a riot in the club. Like 200 people scramble out of the club, busting out the glass of the front of the building to escape. Turns out the DJ was fucking some chick and the girl's boyfriend found out. So he showed up to give street justice. That was a long night with paperwork and statements to the police.

How much they payed you for working there?

@DaleyChamp

You post one then do nothing but lurk?

Tell us the story man it will help you come to terms with it.

source.gif

How much they payed you for working there?

I made between $250-$2000 (cash) a night depending on the type of event going on. Worked 3 to 4 nights a week. The base pay was $20.00 and between tips and several side hustles, the average was probably $700. It was great money, but it was super dangerous work and there's no retirement plan.

Most of the side hustle money came from a few ways. In the college bar, the owner encouraged us to let underage kids in with fake IDs and I was really good at spotting fakes. So I would confiscate them and deny entry. If they wanted them back, I would ask for $200. Most college kids can't afford that on their own, but their friends would put money together and get me like $100 so I would take that. A fake costs a lot less than that, but it was worth it to them to not ruin their outing. It got to where the kids would know if they slipped me like $60 without asking I would allow them entry. When you've you a few hundred people a night coming through, I could get a dozen or so fakes a night.

At the hip hop clubs, we were the biggest name in town and everyone wanted entry. We had lines that were a hundred people long at time and I usually worked the VIP entrance because I was one of the more educated and good looking bouncers so they liked me working the rich people. People would pay up to $100 to allow them to skip the line. Then there were drugs. Once inside the club, pretty much everyone was doing drugs. At one club our bathroom attendants were arrested on federal racketeering and drug trafficking charges for selling out of the bathrooms. We searched everyone for weapons and contraband on the way in, and I found tons of weed/coke/pills pretty much on half of the people. I would charge them like $40 to let them keep it and bring it in. Then dress code was a huge thing. People wanted to come in dressed outside of our code. Things like fitted hats and boots weren't allowed if you weren't getting a section, so we would charge like $100 to let regular people slide in. I definitely made the most money working the hip hop clubs because the gang members and traffickers would have tons of money and understand how to get what they want with bribes. The only thing I wouldn't be flexible on was weapons. The only time I ever let a weapon through was with a personal friend who was a high ranking Grape Street Crip and had tons of enemies. I would let him in with a little Derringer because he was a target and needed protection getting to the building from his vehicle. I also knew he was smart enough to never use it in a ridiculous manner. We would find tons of guns, knives, and women liked to have razors.

Last edited:
Back